New TruTrak 2 axis Autopilot system for less than $1000

Discussion of Avionics and Flight Instruments. Such as: EFIS, EIS, GPS, COM, NAV, Antennas, Audio Panels, Steam Gauges

New TruTrak 2 axis Autopilot system for less than $1000

Postby nwawingman » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:56 pm

This is a very cool new autopilot that we got a demo of at our last EAA meeting before Oshkosh. Very easy to install and the complete system cost $1000 and weight is about 1lb. Only thing to install is a 21/4 inch round control unit in the panel and a trim tab on one aileron and the elevator. Each trim tab has a mini servo attached to it and about six rivets to attach. There is a three conductor wire that you run from the servo to the controller on the panel. I am planning on installing one of these units and will keep you posted as to my finding. Never thought I would install a autopilot before due to cost and complexity, but this looks just right for me. It is a very cool concept. Here is the news release.

Springdale, AR July 16, 2015- TruTrak Flight Systems is pleased to announce the all new ECO autopilot. The autopilot was created in cooperation with Levil Technologies. ECO (pronounced ēkō) is introductory priced under $1000. An interest list for ECO will be taken beginning July 20, 2015, to coincide with opening day of EAA AirVenture. Shipping of ECO is planned for September 2015.

The ECO is designed to be an affordable, simple, two-axis autopilot with automatic envelope protection (AEP). AEP allows the pilot to set a safe bank angle and pitch angle they wish to fly within. When AEP is armed, the system automatically inputs a light force into the controls to move the aircraft back inside the desired envelope. ECO, instead of attaching to the primary aircraft controls, uses a robust, fast, light-weight servo and tab assembly. This allows for a much lighter weight autopilot system and saves drastically on system cost. Typical complete system install weighs less than one pound.

“The things that we are able to do in the aircraft using such small and light-weight servo tabs are just amazing.” said CEO Andrew Barker “AEP is a wonderful safety feature and the way it works in this system is just incredible.”

Founded in 1999, TruTrak is a leader and innovator in the experimental and light sport aircraft autopilot market. TruTrak has designed and manufactured many cutting edge autopilots including the autopilots in the Virgin Atlantic Global Flyer and most recently Solar Impulse.

http://www.trutrakflightsystems.com
Rick Wantz - Arkansas
Sonex 367 T/W AeroVee/Aeroinjector - Prince Elliptical Prop <361hrs
1st Flight 7/13 KOSHX3 Young EaglesX14
http://www.mykitlog.com/wingman
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2TNLK ... A63FvnPkNA
nwawingman

Re: New TruTrak 2 axis Autopilot system for less than $1000

Postby Darick » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:13 am

I'd like to see tests for flutter before I'd attach a trim tab to a balanced aileron. Barring this example, it's sounds like a good solution and affordable.
Darick Gundy
Sonex #1646
N417DG
Taildragger, Aerovee, center stick, Prince P-Tip Prop
MGL E1, F2, V6 radio, Sandia Xponder, Reserve lift indicator (AOA), iFly 520
First flight! 10/21/2017
Darick

Re: New TruTrak 2 axis Autopilot system for less than $1000

Postby vhhomer » Mon May 16, 2016 2:13 am

I tried to order one of these systems and found out that they won't be available for a Sonex until next year and it will be a $1500 item with the installation kits.
vhhomer

Return to Avionics and Instruments