ADS-B and EAB

Discussion of Avionics and Flight Instruments. Such as: EFIS, EIS, GPS, COM, NAV, Antennas, Audio Panels, Steam Gauges

ADS-B and EAB

Postby Sonex1517 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:17 pm

I figured I would start a new thread for this subject. Obviously it is timely, and on the minds of many of us.

After the transponder thread started, I did some research. Never having been a big fan of Mac, I didn't care for his assessment that EAB cannot use ADS-B out. Turns out, he may very well be wrong. The link below is a good article for all of us to read.

http://www.faa.gov/nextgen/ga/media/AEA-ADS-B%20Installation.pdf

I am planning on doing more research into this, including phone calls to both EAA and the FAA. If possible I will write an article for the Foundation's newsletter on the subject also.

Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Chicagoland
Tails and Wings complete - finishing fuselage.
N1517S reserved
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
325+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Re:

Postby daleandee » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:28 am

Last edited by daleandee on Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daleandee

Re: ADS-B and EAB

Postby DCASonex » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:39 am

Robbie,

Read the article, thanks. Looks like the nice compact Trig TT-22 is mode S only, and when combined with its only listed certified compatible GPS, the free Flight WAAS 1201, will cost at least $5,800 plus certification. plus tribute to various state and local state bureaucracies (sales and personal property taxes) . I have better things to spend that on.

David A. Sonex TD with CAMit 3300.
DCASonex

ADS-B and EAB

Postby Sonex1517 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:11 pm

David, I agree completely
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
325+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Postby jerryhain » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:51 pm

If you read it like you do the FARs then it says nothing about installing certified ADSB into experimental aircraft, only uncertified equipment.
Guidance on the installation of ADS-B Out avionics for
aircraft with a standard airworthiness certificate; these aircraft
can broadcast ADS-B data on 1090 ES avionics and/or
on 978 MHz UAT avionics.

for experimental
Guidance on the installation of uncertified ADS-B Out
avionics (1090 ES or UAT) on amateur-built aircraft and
light sport aircraft that have experimental airworthiness
certificates:

Nowhere did this document say anything about installing certified equipment in experimental aircraft, only that the uncertified equipment need to be set to broadcast 0s for ATC equipment to ignore it so the only thing they have is the mode C/A or S to see you.

I haven't read anything yet that will allow experimental aircraft into A,B or C airspace after 2020.
Jerry Hain, Tucson AZ
Waiex Electric?
CFI Glider/Airplane/Helicopter A&P
jerryhain

Postby grevaly » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:03 pm

Since I am starting to do my panel and the only major peice I am lacking is a transponder, I have been looking
at the Trig tt22 and will try to refer to its install only. I live 10 minutes from a Class C - MLI (moline, il) and it
is where I would like to fly from, hence my need for a transponder. I talked to a Trig support person today and it sounds like the TN70 is now or will be a certified WAAS transmitter however the person that could answer all my questions is out till monday.
I then talked to First Flght about the 1201 GPS waas transmitter linked to the Trig tt22. The key is the GPS transmitter must be certified and approved to work in combination with the correct transponder. If the GPS transmitter is not certified
FAA equipment will recognize small signal errors and no longer recognize(boot out) the airplane hence the reason you have to set an 'uncertified" transmitter to 0 value and stay out of controlled airspace after 2020. First Flight said the 1201
can be installed in the experimental by the owner but the unit has to be purchased from one of their dealers.
There is no need for an STC and there is limited guidance from the Faa for experimenat aircraft. I know this may sound
crazy but they said to approve installation of your system you email the Faa with your N number and the time of your
flight, and they will test your flight... they will then send you a report back on the performance of your system and if everything is in the green...
you are good to go, Will try to find out more next week
Mark Conner
Sonex Std Gear Aerovee #1242
Mostly Plans Built
grevaly

Postby marsolgp » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:35 pm

Checked out VAF forum and apparently you can e-mail the FAA with your N-number and request a detailed report.... Send request to: 9-AWA-AFS-300-ADSB-AvionicsCheck@faa.gov
G. Marsolais
Waiex w/Turbo Aerovee
Rotec TBI, Sensenich Climb Prop
MGL Xtreme EFIS & EMS
A/P, iFly720 w/ADS-B
marsolgp

Postby daleandee » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:38 pm

Last edited by daleandee on Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
daleandee

ADS-B and EAB

Postby Sonex1517 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:41 pm

The FAA amended the rule. Some hopeful news....

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2015-02-09/pdf/2015-02579.pdf

Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Chicagoland
N1517S reserved
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
325+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

ADS-B and EAB

Postby Sonex1517 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:43 pm

From Kitplanes on Twitter

http://kitplanes2.com/blog/2015/02/faa-rule-correction-opens-door-for-lower-cost-ads-b/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) today published a technical correction in the Federal Register that allows future installations of ADS-B “out” equipment to meet performance standards of the appropriate Technical Standard Order (TSO) specifications without meeting the complete TSO requirements.

EAA supports this technical amendment as a first step to exploring solutions for amateur-built aircraft to meet FAA’s year 2020 mandate for installation of ADS-B “out” equipment in aircraft flown in controlled airspace. Currently, the lowest-cost purchase and installation for such equipment is an estimated $5,000 – equal to 15 to 20 percent of the value of a significant number of GA aircraft that would need to meet the requirement. At the end of 2019, aircraft will be required to have approved ADS-B out capability to fly in airspace that now requires a Mode C transponder.

“This technical correction is a good first step, but there is much more work to do,” said Doug Macnair, EAA’s vice president of government relations. “EAA supports the FAA’s desire to have full compliance with the 2020 mandate provided cost-effective options are available. This amendment allows the culture of innovation that has been part of the homebuilt community to move forward toward those cost-effective possibilities.”

Historically, builders and owners of experimental aircraft have been able to install avionics that meet the performance standards of certified equipment but are not specifically approved by the FAA. EAA seeks to preserve that historical precedent for ADS-B equipment installation as well.

In its Federal Register publication, the FAA noted that “it was not the FAA’s intent to arguably limit operators to only install equipment marked with a TSO…The FAA’s intent was to permit equipment that meets the performance requirements set forth in the referenced TSOs.” The FAA further stated that the inadvertent removal of the word “performance” in the 2010 final rule was in error and resulted in confusion.

EAA is committed to preserving the rights and opportunities allowed within amateur-built regulations in all areas, including ADS-B “out” installation, and will continue this important work with FAA officials on behalf of EAA members and amateur aircraft builders throughout the country. As with many other past innovations, solutions developed by EAA and homebuilders may lead the way to eventual solutions for owners of all GA aircraft.

Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Chicagoland
N1517S reserved
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
325+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Next