GRT Magnetometer

Discussion of Avionics and Flight Instruments. Such as: EFIS, EIS, GPS, COM, NAV, Antennas, Audio Panels, Steam Gauges

GRT Magnetometer

Postby Friesen5 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:43 pm

I thought I would place my GRT magnetometer on the last rib of the wing, as suggested by GRT for the RVs. But... the moving aileron counterweight and strobe light are out there.

So I'm looking for a new location not too far aft since I have the Jab 2200.

My next thought is to mount it on the front to back channel on the turtledeck. It's more than 18" away from the elevator pushrod.

A third option is the small shelf I installed behind the pilot and passenger seats. It's still 18" away from the pushrod, but much nearer the baggage compartment.

Any suggestions or success stories?

Mervin Friesen
Sonex C-FMNX
Friesen5

Re: GRT Magnetometer

Postby GordonTurner » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:34 pm

I'm looking at the same problem. My idea which I'll be trying out in a few weeks is to mount it a couple of rib bays in from the tip rib. This will put it nicely between the aileron pushrod and the counterweight. I am planning magnetometer and heated pitot in the left wing, roll servo in the right wing (in the bay outside of the aileron bellcrank). Thoughts?
Waiex 158 New York. N88YX registered.
3.0 Liter Corvair built, run, and installed.
Garmin panel, Shorai LiFePo batteries.
GordonTurner

Postby Friesen5 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:53 pm

I'd thought of your idea also. I'm working on a repair to the wing, so I don't have access further in. My concern mounting it as you suggest would be access should it need to be serviced. Mind you, with the riveted wing tips, servicing a magnetometer out there would be a challenge too.

I think splitting the weight side to side is a good idea.

Mervin Friesen
Friesen5

Postby GordonTurner » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:03 am

I plan to add an access panel, this guy makes nice stuff so I bought several.

http://www.mrrace.com/index.htm

One of the panels is precut for a pitot mast. I am building the wings now and purchased the magnetometer wiring, pitot mast, and roll servo w/ harness to build in. For the magnetometer, I would guess that once you cut an access panel you could probably do the whole mounting through the hole....worth a look anyway.
Waiex 158 New York. N88YX registered.
3.0 Liter Corvair built, run, and installed.
Garmin panel, Shorai LiFePo batteries.
GordonTurner

Postby DCASonex » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:26 am

I have my GRT Magnetometer on a bracket mounted under the top channel that runs length of turtle deck, about midway between seat back and tail, seems to work fine. E-mail me if wanting photos and drawings.

David A. Sonex TD #1327
DCASonex

Return to Avionics and Instruments