Panels with center sticks

Panel designs, construction methods, and pictures

Panels with center sticks

Postby SP1 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:34 pm

I'm starting to think about the panel in my Sonex B (finally!). I'm trying to think through the layout. Since my right hand is going to be occupied with the stick, I would imagine most of the button pushing is going to be with the left hand. I wanted to see how other people were laying out their panels to avoid awkward reaches to the right side with their left hand.

I'm intending to have the "dial a trim" occupying the leftmost side, as per plans, and a Uavionix AN-30 front and center of the left seat. I imagine the mini ipad is going to the right side to show a map. I'm not sure where I should put the SP-400 handheld radio for easy access.

Lots of other switches, engine monitor, etc that I haven't really thought through yet. Feels like everything ought to go on the left side.

Thanks very much
SP1

Re: Panels with center sticks

Postby pfhoeycfi » Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:06 pm

Engine switches and flap sw on the left and lighting and misc on the right. I located the MX1 so that I could fly center or left seat. I've since added a bat fault light, elt switch and pilot/pass headset stuff. No labels yet. You can see the location on the left for the dial a trim. The hole lower center is for the fuel shutoff push pull rod. When I tow gliders I practice switching hands...gives me something to do. At this point it doesn't matter what hand the stick is in and I hope that helps with any mistakes I made with the layout. I hope to fly next year.
Attachments
20210705_104301.jpg
Peter Hoey
SEL Pvt, Comm Glider, CFIG, Pawnee & L19 Towpilot
Philadelphia Glider Council
Sonex B SNB0021, N561PH, Taildragger, Aerovee Turbo, MGL MX1, First flight Dec 18, 2022
Also built Sonerai IIL N86PH
pfhoeycfi

Postby daleandee » Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:49 pm

Some of my thoughts when I designed and built my panel for my center stick Cleanex:

1) Use a neutral color. Some colors look wonderful but can be distracting for various reasons. I chose to have mine powder coated in gray.

2) Split the panel i.e. all flight instruments on the left and engine information on the right. I have an MGL F2 Flight information instrument on the left along with my slip/skid ball and ELT monitor/switch. Also high up on the left is my Lift Reserve Indicator. Far top left is my touch screen iFly 740b. On the right I have the MGL E1 engine monitor and westach RPM gauge. Bottom right is the Flightline 760 radio.

3) Keep the area under the panel clear (as much as possible). I did violate this idea as I added a Garmin 320A transponder under the left side. It's a minimal intrusion and easy to reach and fits the flight mode side very well.

4) Separate the switches by purpose and color. The first is the master (red), the next two are ignitions (black), the starter button, then the avionics (yellow), strobes (blue), and finally the landing & wig/wag light switches (white).

5) I also put protectors around the master and both ignitions switches. Two reasons for these. First is to keep items that are placed on the glare shield from sliding or falling off and hitting the switches and turning off the master or the ignitions. Secondly, they give me a way to place a small locking/safety bar in the switches to prevent anyone from flipping a switch whenever the canopy is open for viewing (such as a fly-in event).

What would I do differently? Not much as I like my panel and it has worked well for the nine years I've been flying this aircraft. I do think I would put the pilot's side headphone jacks in a different spot. I have the jacks on each end (pilot on left and passenger on the right) but the pilot jacks should have benn placed in the center or more likely both sets should have been placed in the turtle deck behind me.

Not having success with a photo upload but the panel can be seen at the beginning of this video (all except the later transponder install):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VP7UYEqQ-g
daleandee

Postby SnakePilot » Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:04 pm

Has anyone built or have an interest in exploring an all-analog panel for Sonex B/Waiex B with Center Stick with real gauges... with moving needles?
I'm an old school, former Comanche 260B owner/pilot who has a love/need for traditional gauges.
The standard minimum six-pack plus Tach, Oil Temp are most important. Depending on space, maybe Oil Pressure and Amps
Waiex B Tail-dragger - 2850 Corvair Project
Coupe Top, Steam Gauges, Center Stick
Aluminum Main & Aux Tank
Fort Worth TX
N44YX (reserved)
SnakePilot

Return to Panel