Hybrid steam gauge EFIS panel design

Panel designs, construction methods, and pictures

Hybrid steam gauge EFIS panel design

Postby steveald » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:15 pm

Instrument panel8.jpg
Instrument panel8.jpg (139.74 KiB) Viewed 8787 times

I think I am close to a final plan for my panel. I wanted steam gauge ASI and ALT as backups, and so I would have those instruments available while the EFIS is displaying fullscreen engine info. I'm concerned that the radio might be awkward to use on the far side of the panel, but wanted the lift reserve indicator on the left next to ASI. I'm also not sure if I am going to put the headset jacks on the panel, or behind me on the crosstie box.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Steve Aldridge
Sonex ST #1560
CYPK, BC Canada
steveald

Re: Hybrid steam gauge EFIS panel design

Postby vigilant104 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:48 pm

Steve,
That looks very nice, and I'm sure I'd be happy flying with it. Two small observations:
1) Will that area where the circuit breakers are located be visible to the pilot in flight, or blocked by the throttle/throttle hand? If it's easily visible, that might be a good spot for the radio, with the CBs moved to where the radio is shown now.
2) No intercom or transponder shown, which is fine, I just wanted to make sure everything you intended has a home here.

Mark
Mark Waldron
Sonex 1230 (Builder: Jay Gibbs)
Aerovee, Trigear
vigilant104

Postby steveald » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:56 pm

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the input.
I think that the CB's will be visible in flight, the picture shows the panel straight on, when in reality it is sloped back, so I think that will help visibility. I noticed in an earlier post someone had put the throttle on the right and the trim on the left, so I might look into that arrangement. I don't think I can get a radio to fit under the EFIS because of the slope of the panel, although I agree that would be a nice place for one.
I am planning on using a Sandia STX165R transponder, which is mounted remotely and controlled via the MGL Extreme EFIS, and the MGL V6 radio has a built-in intercom that has good reviews. I hope it will suffice during the times I have a passenger.
What are your thoughts regarding the placement of headset jacks? I have noticed some people put them behind, on the crosstie box, or on the turtledeck former.
Steve Aldridge
Sonex ST #1560
CYPK, BC Canada
steveald

Postby vigilant104 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:40 pm

Steve,
Thanks for the info on the MGL products, I didn't know they had integrated transponder/intercom functions. Nice--that saves panel clutter.
steveald wrote:What are your thoughts regarding the placement of headset jacks? I have noticed some people put them behind, on the crosstie box, or on the turtledeck former.

It would probably depend on whether I could conveniently turn my head around and see the jacks. As I get more "mature" both the head/neck flexibility and close-focusing capability ("which is the slightly smaller jack?") ain't what they used to be. Plugging in back there and finding a place for the headset before getting seated might add to a little more "stuff" to avoid during the already crowded strapping in ritual. The "plus" is that you free up some panel real estate.

Are you dead-set on the eyeball vents? That's another place to gain some panel space. I have the rectangular Van's vents on the fuselage sides and they work very well.

BTW, I like the steam gauges. I have a steam-gauge ASI plus the MGL "Velocity" Flight instrument, and I find I refer to the analog instrument more frequently (especially when I need "value and trend" info). I might feel differently if I had a more sophisticated EFIS, etc.
Last edited by vigilant104 on Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Waldron
Sonex 1230 (Builder: Jay Gibbs)
Aerovee, Trigear
vigilant104

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:32 pm

I was going to put headset jacks in the back for the 140. You would plug them in before you sat down and hang them up in the back.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby steveald » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:47 pm

Mark,

The eyeballs were an afterthought, but I can't think of anything else I need on the panel right now. I have seen some eyeballs mounted on an angle under the panel, I could do that if I needed the space. I definetely want some form of ventilation, I don't understand why Sonex deleted the ventilation from the plans.
I think the EFIS will be nice to have for cruising, but I will be more comfortable with the full size ASI and ALT during take-off and landing. I have never flown with a Lift Reserve Indicator or AoA gauge, but I came across some plans to build it so I did. The theory behind it makes sense, but I have no experience with one.
I think I would prefer the jacks in the back, but in the panel makes for a much simpler installation, I remain undecided on that one. :?
Steve Aldridge
Sonex ST #1560
CYPK, BC Canada
steveald

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:59 pm

Hello Steve,

This is just my opinion, but I think the panel layout looks great! I really like it! I really wish MGL has the Mini Xtreme EFIS available when I bought my avionics. I like my Stratomaster Ultra XL but really like the small size of the Xtreme! A local RANS S-6 builder has one installed in his airplane and it's really nice.

If you like the redundancy of having analog gauges to go along with the EFIS display I'd say you have a great setup. If it were me, I'd do just what you were saying; have the EFIS up for engine data, and use the analog gauges for backup information.

Are you thinking about an AeroVee? One gauge I've added after my Waiex was already flying is a cheap, mechanical oil pressure gauge. That one gauge is, in my opinion, the most critical gauge for monitoring engine health and I wish I would have designed my panel with it in the first place. I had a digital readout on my MGL but it's never been all that accurate, even now after replacing the VDO pressure sensor many times.

I have the Van's RV vents in my panel and really like them. It's nice to be able to adjust the direction of airflow. That being said, if I were to build another Sonex I'd give serious consideration to the vents Mark is describing. I believe they put out more air volume and obviously leave you with a TON more open panel space. They really take up a lot of real estate. Personally, I find that I close them on takeoff becuase having so much air blowing in your face initially is a litle distracting; once I'm up in the air I'll crack them open. Just a thought.

I'm sure you've seen this on a lot of Sonex panels, but it's quite common for people to add a small channel under the panel in a vertical direction to give additional panel space for items such as switches, C/B's, and headphone jacks. At first I didn't want to do that because I didn't want to loose leg room, but now that I've spent so much time in my Waiex I wouldn't hesitate to add that channel ( maybe a 1.5" one?) to be able to move things down and free up more space. I'm 6'3", and have plenty of room between my knees and the bottom of the panel.

I really like having my headphone jacks in front of me. That way if one is loose I don't have to dislocate a shoulder trying to wiggle the connection. Plus, as an added bonus, if I'm ever flying with someone who won't shut up, I love havig their headphone jacks right there so I can pull their plugs anytime I want!! :)

I really like the panel...great job sir!!
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby steveald » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:48 pm

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the comments. I am planning to use an Aerovee, and I recall someone mentioning an oil pressure gauge, but I didn't think too much about it (I was probably focused on some other great mystery at the time.) I'm not really a mechanic type, so forgive my ignorance, are there provisions on the Aerovee for a mechanical pressure gauge as well as a sender for the EFIS, or do you have to pick one over the other?
If you are flying with someone who won't shut up, you could just reach over and turn their headset 90 deg :twisted:
I ordered the $76 NACA vent combo kit from Van's, but the vents don't necessarily have to go where I have shown them. Once I get the forward fuselage to the point where I can actually sit down in it I'm sure I will be able to figure out where I have room and where I don't. I think they could go in the corner where the throttle and mixture would be on the left hand control setup. I'm only 5'11" and I'm building the lowered seat mod, so I don't think I'll be cramped, and hopefully there will be room for some decent seat cushions.
Steve Aldridge
Sonex ST #1560
CYPK, BC Canada
steveald

Postby daleandee » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:02 pm

Hi Steve,

Great layout. A couple of observations from my own panel. I like the headphone jacks on each side but my throttle, mixture, and carb heat are on the left so I have to route the headphone wire out of the way. No big deal really but I might have put them in the center if I had thought it through a bit more. This may not be a concern with your center controls.

I have a Lift Reserve Indicator in my panel and am absolutely in love with it. I added the LRI as a back up to the ASI readout on my MGL Flight -2 single. In reality I use the LRI more than the ASI as the LRI gives accurate wing lift regardless of weight, temperature, density altitude, etc.

You can see my panel and watch the LRI working in this short video of a landing at my home strip. If you listen closely you can heat the tires chirp on the full stall landing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjA7JDJVKeQ

I do like the eyeball vents in the panel. There is nothing like being able to blow air in your face when the canopy is closed and the Sonex goes into the "Easy Bake Oven" mode! 8~)

Best,

Dale
N319WF
daleandee

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:42 pm

steveald wrote:Hi Mike,

Thanks for the comments. I am planning to use an Aerovee, and I recall someone mentioning an oil pressure gauge, but I didn't think too much about it (I was probably focused on some other great mystery at the time.) I'm not really a mechanic type, so forgive my ignorance, are there provisions on the Aerovee for a mechanical pressure gauge as well as a sender for the EFIS, or do you have to pick one over the other?

Great question Steve. The short answer is yes, you can use two different NPT ports on the engine for two different oil pressure readings. The first is found on an upper block off plate that Sonex has you install. In this plate is an NPT fitting for screwing in an oil pressure sender. There's another port in the block, on the top of the case towards the prop, that can also be used.

The only exception is if you decide to build your AeroVee with the Onex style top mounted oil cooler. This requires a different oil cooler plate to be used, and the new plate does not have a pressure sender port.
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Next

Return to Panel