Hybrid steam gauge EFIS panel design

Panel designs, construction methods, and pictures

Re: Hybrid steam gauge EFIS panel design

Postby steveald » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:44 pm

Instrument panel9.jpg
Added 1-1/2" mech OP gauge VDO 153 009
Instrument panel9.jpg (168.04 KiB) Viewed 5106 times

Hi Dale,
Thanks for the comments. Did you build your LRI probe? I have tried twice, the first time one of the long 3/16" holes drifted and breached the outer surface of the bar stock. The second one worked much better, but the 1/8" 45deg holes don't line up exactly with the long holes. I think it will be OK so I am going to use it. I can always make another if it doesn't work.
I would like to keep the eyeballs where they are if possible, I don't think I need more room (of course I also said that 2 posts ago before adding the OP gauge) :)
Nice video, I can't wait to be able to make my own.

Mike,
I added a mechanical pressure gauge, but I'm not sure if I picked the right one.

http://www.vdo-gauges.com/instruments/by-series/mini-pressure-gauges/direct-mount-100-psi-mechanical-pressure-gauge-1-1-2-diameter-black-dial.html

This one goes to 100psi which is red line according to the Aerovee manual, is it OK to have the gauge pinned at the red line, or should there be more room? I saw a 150psi gauge, but it was larger, and I like the mini gauge as it only requires 1-1/2" of panel.
I can't think of any reason to not use the bottom oil cooler, unless it gets in the way of carb heat, which is mandatory in Canada.
Thanks again for the input.
Steve Aldridge
Sonex ST #1560
CYPK, BC Canada
steveald

Postby daleandee » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:14 am

Hi Steve,

I did not build my LRI probe but bought the set-up as a package:

https://sites.google.com/site/lrikit/

Best,

Dale
N319WF
daleandee

Postby steveald » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:11 am

Hi Dale,

I looked at a similar package sold by someone else, but it was twice the cost, so I decided to build one. Time will tell if I made the right choice :)
I see from posts on sonextalk that congratulations are in order for burning off your 40 hours. I imagine it feels good to be able to remove the "Passengers Prohibited" placard and take off on a cross-country trip. Enjoy it, you've earned it!
Steve Aldridge
Sonex ST #1560
CYPK, BC Canada
steveald

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:50 am

steveald wrote:Mike,
I added a mechanical pressure gauge, but I'm not sure if I picked the right one.

http://www.vdo-gauges.com/instruments/by-series/mini-pressure-gauges/direct-mount-100-psi-mechanical-pressure-gauge-1-1-2-diameter-black-dial.html

This one goes to 100psi which is red line according to the Aerovee manual, is it OK to have the gauge pinned at the red line, or should there be more room? I saw a 150psi gauge, but it was larger, and I like the mini gauge as it only requires 1-1/2" of panel.
I can't think of any reason to not use the bottom oil cooler, unless it gets in the way of carb heat, which is mandatory in Canada.

I used pretty much the same thing Steve. I figure if my oil pressure is over 100 psi I'm cutting the power or killing the engine. My gauge is 0-100 psi and on a cold winter morning, it gets up into the 80 psi range until the oil is warmed up. With the recommend pressure range in the 40-50 range, I wanted to keep my scale 0-100. Bottom cooler is a good idea and you'll have plenty of room for carb heat with that setup.
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby vigilant104 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:34 pm

steveald wrote:I can't think of any reason to not use the bottom oil cooler, unless it gets in the way of carb heat, which is mandatory in Canada.

Steve,
I have the standard oil cooler underneath and it seems to be working fine. One reason some people might want the top-mounted cooler is to make room underneath for the hoped-for Sonex Aerovee turbo and associated pipes and plumbing. But that may not be important to you at your very low MSL home field altitude and moderate temps.
Speaking of outside air temperature: it does get cool at your latitude--are you planning to add cabin heat, or just bundle up?

Mark
Mark Waldron
Sonex 1230 (Builder: Jay Gibbs)
Aerovee, Trigear
vigilant104

Postby steveald » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:03 pm

Hi Mark,

I am going to need a heat muff for the carb heat, and I was thinking I could run an extra hose from that for cabin heat. I haven't given it a lot of thought yet, other than wondering how to get warm air through the firewall without defeating the purpose of the firewall, is scat hose available that is fireproof?
The turbo would be nice, but I'm not holding my breath, and I don't know if I would be comfortable being one of the first to try it. One of the things I have learned from years of sitting in front of a computer is never buy version 1.0 of anything. Let someone else find the bugs. Just look at all the service bulletins for the Onex, it must be frustrating for the Onex "pioneers" to have to go back and change things all the time. I mean no disrespect to Sonex Ltd., at least they are finding and fixing things, and maybe the builders are enjoying being part of that, but my comfort level is back a couple of notches at "well proven design."
I hope I haven't offended anyone, I am sure the Onex will prove itself, and I am sure the turbo when released will prove itself as well. I am just speaking to my own personal comfort level.
Steve Aldridge
Sonex ST #1560
CYPK, BC Canada
steveald

Previous

Return to Panel