panel options

Panel designs, construction methods, and pictures

panel options

Postby Jason Smith » Sun May 06, 2012 12:23 pm

One of the things I'm not pleased with is the trapezoidal look of the sonex panel. I seem to remember seeing a picture once of a nice curved rounded panel. I've not gotten to the fuselage yet in my build and I really want to do something different here. I'd also like the grareshield to be rounded rather than bent. I assume looking at the plans that the glareshield is also holding the fuel tank in place. Has anybody made such a modification or are there any good reason not too? Thanks.

Jason Smith
scratch building Sonex #460
Jason Smith

Re: panel options

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Sun May 06, 2012 3:14 pm

Welcome to the forums Jason! Glad you're here :D

Good question on the glareshield. You are correct in that it's shaped to hold the fuel tank in place. Below the tank you'll run two metal straps, but the glareshield is all you've got above.

That being said, I have also seen a few people modify the stock setup to change the look. I think there's a really nice Waiex in Australia that has a modified panel.

If you want to change the look, you may be able to trim down the stock glareshield so that it still holds the tank in place and then make a metal "cover" to whatever shape you want and simply attach it over the top of the stock piece. The only thing I'm not sure about is how structural the glareshield is.

In any case, good luck as you continue the build!
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Re: panel options

Postby sonex892 » Sun May 06, 2012 11:10 pm

Jason. Go here http://sonexaus.wikispaces.com/Ben+McGu ... +Waiex+104 and scroll down the page to see Ben's panel.

Steve
Sonex 892 VH-ZSX
sonex892

Return to Panel