Affordable panel that works?

Panel designs, construction methods, and pictures

Re: Affordable panel that works?

Postby Darick » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:49 pm

Jake, is your panel extension sandwiched/riveted between the main panel and the cross bar?
Darick Gundy
Sonex #1646
N417DG
Taildragger, Aerovee, center stick, Prince P-Tip Prop
MGL E1, F2, V6 radio, Sandia Xponder, Reserve lift indicator (AOA), iFly 520
First flight! 10/21/2017
Darick

Postby SonexN76ET » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:03 am

My panel extension is sandwiched between the panel and the crossbar. I made it from a two inch channel but trimmed it down to the narrowest width that would fit my transponder. If I recall correctly, it only hangs down 1 1/2 inches.

Jake
Sonex Tri Gear, Rotax 912 ULS, Sensenich 3 Blade Ground Adjustable Propeller
MGL Velocity EMS, Garmin GTR 200 Comm, GTX 335 ADS B Out Transponder
ILevil AW AHRS & ADS-B In, UAvionix AV20S
200+ hours previously with Aerovee engine
Sarasota, Florida
SonexN76ET

Postby vigilant104 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:46 pm

Mike53 wrote:The question I have for everyone contemplating using an I pad in the cockpit is how do you see it in bright sunlight?
Is there an iPad that is sunlight readable now that I am unaware of.When I take my I pad outside in direct sunlight I can't see a thing.

Mike,
I use an iPad in the cockpit and I agree that readability is a significant problem in bright sunlight. I have a glare-reducing screen protector, which helps a bit. I've worked around it when necessary (it's in a RAM mount so I can move it somewhat, and I can shade it with my hand to read a frequency, etc). It's okay for nav use, I would not find it acceptable for flight/engine instrumentation.
Some of the Android tablets are much more sunlight readable than any iPad: The Nexus 7 (esp the later "2013" edition) gets very good reviews over on the Van's forum. It's not a big tablet and it's not new (you'd have to get a used one), but pilots find them very readable (maybe close to your iFly?). Here's a well-done technical comparison of readability of some tablets in sunlight (including the Ipad Air2). It was done a few years ago, I haven't found a similar more recent comparison. At that time, the Galaxy Tab 10.1 was somewhat better than the iPad Air 2.http://www.displaymate.com/Tablet_Brightness_ShootOut_1.htm
Mark Waldron
Sonex 1230 (Builder: Jay Gibbs)
Aerovee, Trigear
vigilant104

Postby peter anson » Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:18 am

I'm a bit surprised by the number of people using ipads as flight instruments. I use one for flight planning and navigation but have to be very careful to keep it out of direct sunlight to stop it from overheating on sunny days. Sunlight readability is the least of your problems when it has overheated and shut down, and the only way to get is going again is wait for it to cool in a shady place. Is anybody using a refrigeration panel or cooling fan?

Peter
Sonex 894
peter anson

Previous

Return to Panel