Affordable panel that works?

Panel designs, construction methods, and pictures

Affordable panel that works?

Postby Mike53 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:30 am

mgl panel.jpg
MGLSingles panel
mgl panel.jpg (124.13 KiB) Viewed 12076 times
Building a panel that I can live with is going to be a challenge. Being a bit of a luddite It is a bit trying to understand and accept that Steam gauges have gone the way of the Dodo bird,so for me the closer it resembles the old six pack of steam gauges the better ,or is it? My price range would include the MGL ultra horizon or the MGL Velocity singles.In the singles you can choose the Stratomaster Flight 2 PFI with the Stratomaster EI EMS http://www.sonexaircraft.com/kits/instruments.html or you can have individual units for ASI ALT TACH,etc.like above.
I am leaning toward the individual units because the actual numbers you will be looking at will be bigger my reasoning being when on an approach to a strange airport and its bumpy as hell and you have a crosswind to contend with and its gusting I like the fact that when I want to check my speed I won't have a hard time seeing it.Same goes for setting RPM etc.My thought is ,it is just going to be easier to see and process.The above panel explains it best.That number stands out and is easily proccessed by the brain.I also like the look but then as I mentioned ,I'm a bit of a luddite.
Any thoughts?Experiences?Ideas?
Mike
Mike
I know but one freedom, and that is the freedom of the mind.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Reserved C-FONX for the 80th Onex,Hummel 85HP ,Tri gear,GRT Mini X EFIS,and EMS,iFly 740 GPS
Mike53

Re: Affordable panel that works?

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:57 am

When I sat down to design my panel, I had the following in mind:
1. Cost: I wanted to go with MGL since Sonex has a good following with them and I could get all flight instruments into one box. I chose the Stratomaster Ultra XL because it had a big display, hopefully allowing me to see clearly, while being pretty cheap overall.
2. Weight: my theory is less boxes, less weight and as an added benefit less wiring to complete.
3. Panel space: same idea...one box instead of many.

I haven't flown my plane yet but so far I'm happy with the result. By using one box I had enough room to install the Vans air vents in my panel instead of below it.

In the end though, I would say build it how you want it! :mrgreen:
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby Dan » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:39 am

I would like one or two MGL Extreme's and MGL's comm. It would be great if the Dynon remote transponder would interface but doubt that would be the case. I have a real concern about total weight on this plane and will be looking for ways to cut the fat. Yeah, my fat too :D
Dan

Postby N111YX » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:54 am

Let's see a pic of that panel, Mike. Sounds interesting... :)

MichaelFarley56 wrote:When I sat down to design my panel, I had the following in mind:
1. Cost: I wanted to go with MGL since Sonex has a good following with them and I could get all flight instruments into one box. I chose the Stratomaster Ultra XL because it had a big display, hopefully allowing me to see clearly, while being pretty cheap overall.
2. Weight: my theory is less boxes, less weight and as an added benefit less wiring to complete.
3. Panel space: same idea...one box instead of many.

I haven't flown my plane yet but so far I'm happy with the result. By using one box I had enough room to install the Vans air vents in my panel instead of below it.

In the end though, I would say build it how you want it! :mrgreen:
Kip

2010 Waiex 0082 (first flight May 2010)
Jabiru 3300 #1637 and #3035
Dynon D-180
Becker radios
Garmin GDL 82 ADS-B
1050 hours
48 states visited
Based near Atlanta

Also flying a...
2000 Kolb Firestar II, Rotax 503, 575 hours
N111YX

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:51 pm

If I can get this to work, here's a terrible pic of my mostly finished panel. Once I can catch my breath, I need to get this thing installed!

Notice that, to start, I do not have a transponder. My plan is to start this way and then as time and finances permit, move my FL-760 COMM into the slip indicator spot, put a transponder on the right, and add a smaller slip indicator someplace else. I've trial fitted this into my panel and all is well. Also, I haven't weighed my panel but I don't think it's more than 5 or so pounds.
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby Dan » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:38 pm

Looks good. What I wouldn't give to as far along in my project you.
Dan

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:54 pm

Keep at it sir. I've had my kit less than 2 years...it goes fast. Like I was told many times, try to do something every day even if on some days you only have 3 minutes to spare.

Good luck! :D
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby Dan » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:04 pm

Thanks Mike. When I was building the tail section of the RV-9A I was still working so the build was slow. Now that I am retired I hope to be able to complete the plane as quickly as money will allow.
Dan

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:01 pm

Great Dan. I've seen some RV kits and if you take away the dimpling and solid rivet driving these kits do build much faster (IMHO). I think I had my whole tail built in 2.5 weeks...

I hope you're able to keep it up! :D
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:12 pm

While I still have a long way to go, I was able to trial fit my panel into the fuselage tonight. Fit was a little off from the last time but I think I can make it work just fine. I need to figure out how many firewall openings I need to drill...hopefully no more than two.

The panel was wired as much as possible prior to installation so hopefully I can have most of this wired quickly.
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Next

Return to Panel