Seeking pilot to check & fly my newly restored Sonex in KY

Discussion topics to include safety related issues and flight training.

Seeking pilot to check & fly my newly restored Sonex in KY

Postby Jester504 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:19 pm

I promise I didn't coordinate this post with karmarepair who just asked a very similar question!

Since last summer, I've been restoring a tailwheel Sonex-A with the Jabiru 3300 in Kentucky. It had been successfully flying for many years before the owner passed. It was pickled & stored in a hanger for the last 4 years. I changed a few things on it* and had it successfully Condition Inspected by an local A&P. Everything seems good-to-go - on paper.

But, I am a very low time PPL, and I don't think I'm the right person to do the first flight after the storage and alterations. And nobody around here, including the A&P, has any meaningful Sonex experience or knowledge. I would feel a whole lot better if the plane was given a once-over and flown by an experienced Sonex owner & pilot. Ideally, I could find someone who can be added to my insurance, come out for a day or even half a day, look at it, talk about it with me, and take it for a whirl to make sure everything responds and feels the way a Sonex is supposed to. And, if it's legal, I would properly pay them for their efforts.

If you're that person, DM me and let's make it fly! I can provide a ton of pictures, video, and information in DMs.

* what I changed:
Switched to factory tailwheel assembly from a damaged custom one
Replaced the (cracked) canopy
Replaced the brake cable and some wheel parts with factory new ones
Replaced the standard push/pull throttle knob with a Vernier control
Replaced all the spark plugs
Changed the oil and filter, inspected old filter, no issues
Borescoped the cylinders, no issues
Performed 3 separate engine runs and taxi tests with no problems found
Jester504

Re: Seeking pilot to check & fly my newly restored Sonex in

Postby racaldwell » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:38 am

Where in KY are you?

I will be coming up to DVK in May.

Not saying I can do what you ask but it is a possibility.

Rick Caldwell

Xenos 100 hrs (Up for sale)
RV6 1269 hrs
One Design 250 hrs ( sold)
racaldwell

Postby Tnhelm » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:22 am

I previously instructed in Sonex, ferried 2 Jab powered Sonex, own a OneX, and am current. However, I live in Wisconsin, so getting there would be a challenge, maybe in my OneX, would be longest trip to date. Another issue, insurance is becoming an issue with my 81 year age. I currently only carry liability for cost reasons.
So as previously asked, which part of KT are you in?
Tom
OneX 0137
Tnhelm

Postby Jester504 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:25 pm

Tom & Rick,

Thanks for the replies! I should have specified that the airplane is in Owensboro. I will DM you both with details to discuss.
Jester504

Postby Tnhelm » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:51 am

Looking at the distance and fuel cost, plus overnight, and unlikely ability of being covered by your insurance (due to my age), I think it appropriate that I decline your request. Believe me, I would really like to help but I think it is not realistic.
Tom
OneX0137
Tnhelm

Postby Jester504 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:40 pm

Tnhelm wrote:Looking at the distance and fuel cost, plus overnight, and unlikely ability of being covered by your insurance (due to my age), I think it appropriate that I decline your request. Believe me, I would really like to help but I think it is not realistic.
Tom
OneX0137

Absolutely understandable, Tom!
Jester504

Return to Safety and Training