Transition Training Experince

Discussion topics to include safety related issues and flight training.

Transition Training Experince

Postby karmarepair » Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:10 pm

I took 2 days of transition training with Jeff Schultz and I want to tell you about it.

We did not get all the way through the Sonex Foundation curriculum in 2 days and 4 flights, but after perhaps my first dead solid perfect tailwheel landing ever we called it good.

I was ALWAYS sold on the idea as a 300 hr pilot, but after the first day, I was REALLY convinced I needed it. And I've been flying an LSA (Evektor Sportstar) for proficiency lately. The Sonex really is different. Neutral pitch stability, coupled with a lot of control authority, is what challenged me the most.

Jeff's well sorted, carefully maintained airplane is a 3300 powered taildragger, and had no trouble climbing out with two dad bods onboard at hotter than standard Day conditions at 800 msl field elevation. His Dynon panel is a little older than mine, but I was glad for the experience to fly with it. He's setup with center controls.

I won't go through the sequence, go look at the curriculum, but Jeff put a lot of emphasis on the Sight Picture. I found the low approach to go around exercises particularly helpful.

I was a little surprised how hard it was to get the second notch of flaps in, and this was with the shorter Sport Acro configuration. I'm not yet ready to tear apart my center section to retrofit electric flaps, but the temptation is there. The keys were full nose up trim and slowing to 80. Both hands helped.

Budget for this. Jeff is the only guy I know doing transition training in his airplane, so before First Flight, he is the only option I know of.

He's very committed to this aircraft and the community around it. His contact information is on his website.
karmarepair

Re: Transition Training Experince

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sun Sep 10, 2023 2:41 pm

Awesome! And thanks Jeff for providing this service to the community.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Re: Transition Training Experince

Postby JMJeakle » Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:49 pm

What is his website?
JMJeakle