Sonex vs Rans s7 for abinitio fixed wing addon

Discussion topics to include safety related issues and flight training.

Sonex vs Rans s7 for abinitio fixed wing addon

Postby sessdriver » Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:28 pm

Hello.

If anyone has an informed opinion on pros/cons between Sonex taildragger and Rans S7 as a training
vehicle for a fixed wing addon for a Helicopter/rotorcraft guy we'd appreciate it.

Regards,
s
sessdriver

Re: Sonex vs Rans s7 for abinitio fixed wing addon

Postby GraemeSmith » Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:33 am

You going for PPL or Sport Pilot?

If PPL - be tougher to find a Sonex equipped for night flight.

Even harder is finding a CFI prepared to give transition (never mind some primary) training. The cockpit layout of a lot of Sonex are not friendly to the CFI being able to take full control easily.

--

Can't speak for Rans.
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby roberto51it » Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:10 am

Hello, I actually have a Rans S7 and am building a Sonex legacy, so don’t know about the Sonex how is it to fly; but can assure that the S7 is very docile and a very good trainer, is much slower than a Sonex a very forgiving. Don’t think about a Sonex as an abinitio taildragger.

Roberto from Italy
roberto51it

Postby sessdriver » Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:06 pm

GraemeSmith wrote:< in part >

You going for PPL or Sport Pilot?

Can't speak for Rans.

This is PPL. Those real issues you mention are being addressed independently, meaning
I was planning on making controls suitable for dual and had forgotten about the lighting.

Current thinking is to obtain one of those aircraft and then let the
peer pressure begin, but if Sonex is a terrible first tailwheel experience our path is longer.

We have grass and paved runways but uncertain if the Sonex will be happy on grass,
so that's another issue.

Regards,
s
sessdriver

Postby sessdriver » Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:10 pm

roberto51it wrote:Hello, I actually have a Rans S7 and am building a Sonex legacy, so don’t know about the Sonex how is it to fly; but can assure that the S7 is very docile and a very good trainer, is much slower than a Sonex a very forgiving. Don’t think about a Sonex as an abinitio taildragger.

Roberto from Italy

Roberto-
Do you have any advice on long versus short S7? I'm told they lengthened it at some
point and I don't know how that affects suitability as a training machine.

Thanks very much for the info.
s
sessdriver

Postby Bryan Cotton » Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:41 pm

My Waiex is happy on grass. With center 'sport trainer' controls the Waiex is good for instruction. Is it the best? Probably not. My son is getting a bunch of experience in the airplane. If only I was a CFI!
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLxx4 ... yaGCd4gFp7

I did it the other way around. SEL followed by a rotorcraft-helicopter add on.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby GraemeSmith » Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:21 pm

Sonex are not wild about it being used on grass. But if you fit 5x5.00 tires on the mains and the bigger solid tailwheel it improves things a lot.
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby Bryan Cotton » Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:48 pm

GraemeSmith wrote:Sonex are not wild about it being used on grass. But if you fit 5x5.00 tires on the mains and the bigger solid tailwheel it improves things a lot.

Confession: the grass at my home airport is pretty nice. I've been to Cottonwood also, and that is grass. Stock wheels and I thought it was great.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Bryan Cotton

Postby N190YX » Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:55 am

Disagree about a Sonex/Waiex taildragger not being a good candidate for training. With the positive control of the tailwheel, they are not squirrelly but have very positive directional control (with the tailwheel on the ground). So stable compared to the Cessna 170 (taildragger) I used to own.
N190YX

Postby Bryan Cotton » Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:56 am

N190YX wrote:Disagree about a Sonex/Waiex taildragger not being a good candidate for training. With the positive control of the tailwheel, they are not squirrelly but have very positive directional control (with the tailwheel on the ground). So stable compared to the Cessna 170 (taildragger) I used to own.

I agree with this. Definitely a forgiving machine.

I would say it is not the ideal trainer for everybody. Very light controls. My kid is doing well with them but will probably be ruined for flying any spam cans. Also, it is a very tight cockpit. Whoever is not flying has to pull their inside hand away from the throttle so the other person can work it. You can see that on all our pattern videos. Also the aircraft is very light in pitch and very easy to have excursions in airspeed on final. The light controls will be no problem for a helicopter jock.

On the other hand, I think my kid will have an easy time in a Cessna when he finishes his rating. And the low power of the Aerovee is awesome for training. You have to know your performance, plan your takeoffs, and fly your speeds accurately.

We burn about 2gph in the pattern - that's almost free!

Cross country in calm conditions is awesome. The airplane trims up hands off, at least for moments at a time. In bumpy conditions you have to work hard. That's also good training.

So I think it is good, but not the perfect trainer for everybody.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Bryan Cotton

Next

Return to Safety and Training