Flight Training in a Sonex

Discussion topics to include safety related issues and flight training.

Flight Training in a Sonex

Postby hoodun » Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:13 am

I am a newbie pilot with only 10hrs in the air. I am thinking of purchasing a Sonex A to continue my flight training in.

So, I would need a CFI who is willing to teach me in a Sonex. Does this person exist? Any test pilot/CFIs out there? I am in California.

Also, the Sonex under consideration is a turbo with aerobatic wings. Maybe it's not the best flight training airplane, and not among the normal category of Cessna and Piper, but is this sort of thing done? Are pilots out there who started out in an experimental plane? OR, is this just a really bad idea?
hoodun

Re: Flight Training in a Sonex

Postby GraemeSmith » Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:45 am

Your biggest problem will be finding a CFI who wants to give Primary Training in it. Never mind transition training!

If your cockpit layout has all - or most - of the primary controls on the left side - not may CFI's will want to teach in it as they can't easily control the plane or demonstrate things without reaching across you. And if they want to take the plane in a hurry to recover from something - you might be in the way!! :-)
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby GordonTurner » Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:18 am

Graeme is correct of course, but that’s only the possible downsides. Many Sonex are configured with the critical controls, throttle mixture brakes flaps and trim, in the center and accessible to both pilots. It would be a fair amount of work but not too horrible to move controls to the center, or at least to devise a duplicate throttle which could be in the center or on the right side.

The more difficult part would be finding an instructor who would teach in it. I personally would assuming the issues above were addressed.

The benefits are that you will end up as a better trained and more widely experienced pilot, and you will fly a lot more. I have always encouraged my students to buy their own plane. You will get comfortable with it, and the operating cost will be low. You can take it when and where you want for as long as you want, it’s the best way to go.

If you don’t solve the problems of getting a Sonex together, there are plenty of older two seat planes that are great for learning and adventures. Cessna 120 or 140, Ercoupe, Piper tri-pacer, etc.

Good luck with your adventure.
Waiex 158 New York. N88YX registered.
3.0 Liter Corvair built, run, and installed.
Garmin panel, Shorai LiFePo batteries.
GordonTurner

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:12 am

Some other items to consider...

- Finding a CFI who is Experimental aircraft friendly is difficult in today's world.
- Finding a Designated Pilot Examiner who would be willing to administer the checkride in a Sonex would be even more difficult
- Finding an underwriter who would make an insurance policy for primary training in a Sonex will be difficult
- The Sonex isn't really intended to be a trainer and I don't know how well it would hold up to primary training.

I wish you the best of luck on your training, but it may be best for you to train in a Cessna or something else and transition into the Sonex once you have your license. Just my two cents!
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby pilotyoung » Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:40 am

I will add my two cents. I don't think that an aircraft with a turbo engine is a good match for flight training. But I do think if you get the right Sonex with controls accessible to both pilots, learning in a Sonex can be a good experience. It will take a CFI who is willing and knowledgeable. If you learn in a tailwheel aircraft you will be a better pilot. I have recommended to a few people to buy a Sonex to learn in but I would arrange the CFI first. And you probably should call your insurance broker to see what the insurance will cost for a student pilot in a Sonex.

As to the second point of having your own aircraft, it is much better than renting. Every time I go to the hangar to fly my airplane, I know it will be exactly as I left it. Of course I always preflight it, but I don't have surprises of another pilot leaving something in an unexpected position.
pilotyoung

Postby Bryan Cotton » Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:39 pm

Our intention is for my son and co-builder Adam to earn his private rating in the Waiex. Towards this end, I built the aircraft with sport trainer controls - throttle, mixture, flaps, brakes, and fuel shutoff in the middle. He has gotten through solo in a J3. The year 2013 was going to be when I earned my CFI, but Sikorsky closed our facility and that screwed a lot of things up. So I plan to fly with Adam a lot, and whatever CFI I can find I'll have to fly a fair amount with him to make sure he is comfortable with the airplane. I think that it would be hard for a non-pilot to finish and build a Sonex (or most things) and learn to fly in it, due to logistics of instructors and insurance.

If you can learn to fly in a C140, or really anything, that gets you a step closer if a Sonex is where you want to be.

Right now I'm flying really cheap - and my airplane is really cool. But if you look at how much I've invested both in the airplane, and all the flying I've done to get to where I am, it gives you a different perspective on the cost. You have to look at the big picture.

So although Kevin's airplane is an awesome deal, this is most likely not your best route to being a pilot, in my opinion. If you decide to get for it I'll give you all the moral support that I can, over the forum.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby hoodun » Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:23 pm

Would removing the turbo bring it into LSA category of max 135mph? Then I could start with a sport license and get a certification for taildraggers or convert it to a tri-gear?
hoodun

Postby GraemeSmith » Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:08 pm

hoodun wrote:Would removing the turbo bring it into LSA category of max 135mph? Then I could start with a sport license and get a certification for taildraggers or convert it to a tri-gear?

As a general comment about ANY airplane where there are a decent number of examples. Buy one that is already configured the way you want it. The work/cost/heartache of changing something will be FAR more than buying one that is already done.

A current example might be a Cessna 150/150. That's a 150 with a 150 hp engine in it. They exist and sell for a premium - but that premium cost is still less than buying an airframe and then converting it. The conversion cost alone is similar to buying one ready done.

--

Taking off the turbo - see - there you go...... ;-) Messing with it.

Though it might be interesting to just limit the power by placard. So full power is available for take off (because you can't exceed LSA speed limit in a climb) but when in level flight you placard the plane "Not to exceed X,XXXrpm" and find the power setting that keeps the speed inside LSA limits.

And if you think this is a nuts idea - this is EXACTLY what the Carbon Cub in LSA configuration does!

There may be other considerations regarding power/weight ratios - I haven't checked.

--

But THAT said - get a PPL. It's not much more work and far more flexible as to what you can do with the plane.

--

And to wind it all the way back to the start - find the CFI and check with underwriters. I think that will be your limiting answer!
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby Skippydiesel » Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:30 pm

As this is an international Forum I add the following:

In Australia you can train in a homebuilt aircraft but only if you are the builder
Skippydiesel

Postby Scott Todd » Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:42 am

I'm not so sure you can make an airplane LSA by just adding a placard. I thought it depended on how it was certified. Maybe Joe will help here.
Scott Todd

Next

Return to Safety and Training