Insurance vs FAA requirements

Discussion topics to include safety related issues and flight training.

Re: Insurance vs FAA requirements

Postby N190YX » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:59 pm

You might want to explore insurance with AVEMCO, an insurance company that does not work with brokers (like GEICO for car, motorcycle and home insurance). I had a different insurance problem, old age, and AVEMCO was reasonably priced. The broker, bless her heart, actually suggested I get a quote from AVEMCO after she got astronomical quotes from the rest of the aircraft insurance industry.
N190YX

Postby GraemeSmith » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:22 pm

Don't forget:

Victoria Neuville
Aviation Insurance Resources (AIR)

Work: 301-682-6200
Email: vneuville@air-pros.com

She "knows" Sonex and and has a short piece in the Spring 2020 newsletter about the issues.
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby fastj22 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:01 pm

My insurer Costello, has only found one underwriter who would insure my Sonex. My glider and Cessna no issue. Glider insurance is going through the roof due to a high level of claims. But seems many underwriters are just avoiding Sonex.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby Sx1552 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:53 pm

The first time I flew behind a left turning prop was in the Zlin 526. like panther 16 said, it was not an issue. I tend to think about where my nose is going and keep it pointed where I want it, and react accordingly. I don't really think about which foot I use to do that. About the insurance, have you tried going through the EAA. I tried to get insurance on a Christen Eagle through my regular insurer and was told I needed 10 hours in one, even though I had plenty of time in Pitts. They suggested I go to a flight school. I had to explain that you can't just rent most experimental aircraft from an FBO. Obviously they didn't understand "experimental". I called the EAA and was given the name of a company who had no problem insuring experimental aircraft and even offered a better rate on my Citabria. Some years later I had a partnership on a Luscombe 8A. My partner had a high insurance premium from AOPA. I suggested we call EAA, where we got a very decent rate.
Sx1552

Postby Rofomoto » Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:24 pm

Call Sarah at full throttle lots of sonex experience +1 (832) 475-7651
Longassproject
E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles (next year 16- 0)
Rofomoto

Postby 1AviationNut » Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:09 pm

Thanks for all the ideas even tho after digging through the forums I see this is a common issue. Rofomoto thank you for suggesting to call Sarah. I wanted to put her number in my phone by quick dial and hang up method but it connected without me knowing. She called me back, within a couple minutes, on a Sunday night! And we had a great chat on the situation of our Sonex aircraft and the entire market for insurance. WONDERFUL person! And on a Sunday night?? There are for sure Insurance people out there that get it and care! However I am still thinking its going to end up with me flying without insurance for at least ten hours.
So I thought I'd ask if there is anybody around wisconsin that would be willing to just get me up in a Sonex. Mine is a trike but anything would be appreciated to just get a feel of the planes. (This was a suggestion by that wonderful person afore mentioned :) ) If anyone can help me out I'd be greatful.
Patrick Handel
1953 Piper Tripacer N8934C
Sonex A N341PD
1AviationNut

Postby Fastcapy » Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:05 pm

I'm based in Oshkosh with a tailwheel Sonex (150ish hours in it) and would be willing to talk with you about doing some Sonex flying with you in the next couple of months. After mid-May most flyable days I'm flying balloon rides, but before then I could try to find some time.
Mike Beck
Oshkosh, WI (KOSH)
Sonex #1145 N920MB
Std Gear, Modified Aerovee, Rotec TBI, Dual Stick, Acro Ailerons
MGL Panel
Airworthiness: 10/24/13, First Flight: 05/18/14
Fastcapy

Postby 1AviationNut » Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:46 pm

Hi Mike. That would be great. I would like to have an idea on how they handle. Avemco actually just called me back. They are willing to insure me! 2636. a year. They said all I would need is to sit with a pilot that has more than 25 hours in a Sonex and get all v speeds and talk through stalls, handling and landing characteristics. And they would do quarterly payment coverage. If we could go up that would probably satisfy them and for sure make me feel good. Let me know what you’re thinking as far as your time. Thank you very Mike!
Patrick Handel
1953 Piper Tripacer N8934C
Sonex A N341PD
1AviationNut

Postby Arjay » Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:13 pm

Here's a way to get around the insurance problem: Title the aircraft in an entity. Buy renters insurance from AVEMCO or equivalent (around $350/year) for yourself. When you fly rent the airplane from the entity. You will have no requirement for time in the Sonex to get the insurance. If you have some tailwheel time, you should have no problem converting to the Sonex with no instructions. It is very easy to fly. When you take off do not lift the tail. When you land approach SLOWLY (I like 65 mph) and DO NOT OVERROTATE.
Arjay

Postby GraemeSmith » Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:41 pm

1AviationNut wrote:They said all I would need is to sit with a pilot that has more than 25 hours in a Sonex and get all v speeds and talk through stalls, handling and landing characteristics.

That is an intelligent requirement from the underwriter - who recognizes the near impossibility of finding a CFI.

PS - I have 195 hours in an AeroVee powered Sonex and am based at KUUU. Be happy to take you up if we can make W&B. Oh and once we are both vaccinated!
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

PreviousNext

Return to Safety and Training