Looking for a CFI with Sonex Experienc near 4G7

Discussion topics to include safety related issues and flight training.

Looking for a CFI with Sonex Experienc near 4G7

Postby mbond » Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:29 am

I'm currently looking for a CFI with Sonex experience around the greater Pittsburgh area. Specifically, my Hangar is at 4G7 (Fairmont WV), a little over an hour south of Pittsburgh.

I'm buying a Sonex model A (tail wheel), and both insurance quotes I've gotten so far are requiring dual with a CFI that has time in make and model. I'm going to keep shopping around a bit, but if there are any CFI's in the area that can help out, I'd love to hear from you.
mbond

Re: Looking for a CFI with Sonex Experienc near 4G7

Postby Matt541 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:37 am

I ran into this issue as well concerning insurance. Most insurance companies aren't allowing training in "similar" aircraft at this time.

However I did find that Avemco didn't have the dual requirement, but they were quite a bit more expensive. Good luck!
Sonex 541, TD, Center Stick, Revmaster w/ Prince P <SOLD>
:arrow: Anxiously awaiting the new Highwing
Matt541

Re: Looking for a CFI with Sonex Experienc near 4G7

Postby pilotyoung » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:00 am

I got a quote from Avemco when I bought my Onex recently. They did not require any dual with a CFI which was good. But Avemco was quite a bit more expensive, had a $1,500 deductible for both in-motion and not-in-motion claims (the other company has a zero deductible), and the big issue is Avemco has a $100,000.00 per person deductible. That means that if a passenger, or a person on the ground is injured or killed, the maximum amount Avemco will pay to settle the claim or on a judgement is $100,000.00. Most companies limit the passenger liability to $100,000.00 but not people on the ground.
pilotyoung

Return to Safety and Training