Big Pilot - Single Place Flying & Transition Training

Discussion topics to include safety related issues and flight training.

Big Pilot - Single Place Flying & Transition Training

Postby clarksbrother » Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:06 pm

Hi All,

I'm mainly interested in the Sonex as a fun/cost effective aircraft. For background, I'm a pretty big guy - 6'1" and 290lbs (Basically imagine a football linebacker). I'm primarily looking at the Sonex to fly center stick single place.

The thing is, most of my time is in high wing Cessnas, and given my size, transition training on a Sonex likely isn't possible from a W&B balance perspective. So two questions:

1) Is there anyone near Connecticut who has a center stick sonex who would allow me to sit in their aircraft on the ground to see how well I would fit from just a dimensions perspective?
2) Does anyone have any recommendations for doing transition training in a similar aircraft that would serve as an effective method to allow me to solo a Sonex?

Appreciate any info and advice anyone has! Thanks in advance!
clarksbrother

Re: Big Pilot - Single Place Flying & Transition Training

Postby GraemeSmith » Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:18 pm

Where in CT? I'm in RI and it's a pretty easy hop to come show you.

I'm dual stick - but you can still sit in it in the center and get the sight picture. And I sometimes fly it sitting in the center anyway.
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby Matt541 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:44 am

I intentionally bought a center stick Sonex to do exactly what you're saying. At your height and weight, I feel you'd find it roomy. I'm a few inches shorter than you, but there's room for a helmet, Koger sunshade and some daylight over my head.

If you're up for a day trip to Eastern PA, you're welcome to check mine out.

On transition training, you'd want to find an RV or something similar for dual. Even a Diamond DA-20 is more responsive than a Cessna. Insurance is another issue, but that varies by location and pilot experience.
Sonex 541, TD, Center Stick, Revmaster w/ Prince P <SOLD>
:arrow: Anxiously awaiting the new Highwing
Matt541

Postby Zarcon » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:07 am

I am building a legacy Xenos, which has dual sticks. Has anyone modified a dual stick Sonex or Xenos to make it a center stick? If so, I would appreciate any insights.

Thanks
Zarcon

Return to Safety and Training