Custom Checklist Cards for the Cockpit

Discussion topics to include safety related issues and flight training.

Custom Checklist Cards for the Cockpit

Postby sonex1374 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:22 pm

The guys and I on the SonexFlight Podcast have talked about the benefit of creating a customized pilot operating handbook, and an extension of that idea is to create customized checklists that go with you into the plane. Sometimes simply having a template to use can help get you moving on a project like that, so I've included my own checklist cards that I use in the cockpit.

I print out and laminate preflight, normal ops and emergency ops checklists. In addition, you'll notice that I've listed several local airports around me (the places I routinely fly to when out goofing off), as well as my Jabiru 3300 power tables to use as a reference when I'm flying cross country.

The checklists are printed at home and then run thru my wife's laminating machine. Actually, I think I use this more often than she does!
https://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Laminator-Letter-Size-Laminating-TL902VP/dp/B008587M0K/ref=sr_1_5
The template for the checklists is attached as a word file, and the instructions are included for setting up your printer. I think you'll find it's easy and works really well.

Jeff
Attachments
N604CM Checklist Cards (20 Jan 2020).doc
(127.5 KiB) Downloaded 341 times
Jeff Shultz
Sonex TD, 3300, AeroInjector
Kansas City, MO
http://www.sonex604.com
sonex1374

Re: Custom Checklist Cards for the Cockpit

Postby Rofomoto » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:01 pm

Great job!! Thanx for posting the file
Longassproject
E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles (next year 16- 0)
Rofomoto

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:25 pm

Very Nice Jeff! You have put a lot of work into yours!

I made a much simpler one that I print out in color on a standard sheet of printer paper, fold in half length wise and then laminate or tape over to seal up. One page and simple but I'm not very smart so I need all the help I can get!

If anyone wants to take it and modify it for themselves, they are welcome to. Not as nice as Jeff's though!

Mike
Attachments
N569KM_Checklist2.1.docx
N569KM Checklist
(53 KiB) Downloaded 321 times
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby GraemeSmith » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:57 pm

I have a "personal standard" format I use when I am learning a new plane. I review and learn the systems and implications, review manufacturer checklists and re-write the whole thing into my format with a priority of:

- Don't contradict the manufacturer - especially where it is detailing the correct order to use systems
- Otherwise try and reorder things to create logical workflows with "flow shapes".
- Look for efficiencies so you are not backtracking and going back over things.
- Don' be afraid to fine tune and rewrite it.

It may seem overly detailed but for me as I jump between planes - my lists have everything in the same place between aircraft. The blessing is the workflows - once learned - the checklist is just a quick review after each "flow" that you got it right. Starting right as you approach the plane and start the preflight.

So my current - 1 year in - checklist for the Sonex is at Rev 5 supporting an Aircraft Flight Manual - currently at Rev 7. (based on the original builder's work - so these are really Rev 6 and 8)

4 sheets of paper. Set up the first two back to back and laminate then bifold so you have a "Working/Flying" checklist.
The second pair of sheets, laminated back to back and bifolded is the "Abnormal Procedures/Emergency" checklist.
Attachments
200311- N360GS Sonex Checklist.docx
(38.11 KiB) Downloaded 284 times
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby GraemeSmith » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:21 am

FAA have some thoughts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=6i8l7Nup5Hw

The "gotcha" is if added equipment requires you then carry the "heavy" manual for the equipment.
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Return to Safety and Training