Understanding Transition Training and a LODA

Discussion topics to include safety related issues and flight training.

Re: Understanding Transition Training and a LODA

Postby GraemeSmith » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:54 pm

John,

Where are.you out of?
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby pilotyoung » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:37 pm

Birmingham, AL
pilotyoung

Postby pilotyoung » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:42 am

I finally got some good news this morning. I own an RV-12 and have it insured with the same company. So the underwriter agreed to me getting 2 hours of instruction with a CFI in a Piper Cub. Then for the first 5 hours and 5 landings there will be a deductible. But this is a workable solution and I can live with it.
pilotyoung

Postby Matt541 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:16 am

pilotyoung wrote:I finally got some good news this morning. I own an RV-12 and have it insured with the same company. So the underwriter agreed to me getting 2 hours of instruction with a CFI in a Piper Cub. Then for the first 5 hours and 5 landings there will be a deductible. But this is a workable solution and I can live with it.

Congrats! That solution seems ideal to me.

This is an issue I'm having right now with my Sonex. I am working with a broker, but every insurance company requires dual in my aircraft. No matter how many times I've made the point that this operation would put me in violation of the CFRs for flying (well) over gross weight. I purchased a Sonex intending it to be a single place airplane 90%+ of the time.

I have pitched multiple options for "similar" aircraft with higher allowed gross weights/ usable loads while using the Sonex Foundation syllabus, but all have been rejected.

I'm sure it helps that you have another aircraft with them, but do you mind me asking which insurance company this was? Feel free to PM me.
Sonex 541, TD, Center Stick, Revmaster w/ Prince P <SOLD>
:arrow: Anxiously awaiting the new Highwing
Matt541

Postby Sonex1517 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:19 pm

I strongly recommend anyone having problems call Victoria Neuville, Aviation Insurance Resources (AIR)

301-682-6200

She wrote an article in our recent newsletter and is a great resource.

http://www.sonexfoundation.com/uploads/ ... .pdf#page4
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
325+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Postby WaiexN143NM » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:08 am

hi all,
good article/ video in www.avweb.com, about aircraft insurance. expensive and getting worse.
video is a zoom recording, 41 min. enjoy.

WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby Sx1552 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:07 pm

Thank you. This has been very helpful. I am new to this group. I have not been working on my Sonex build much since my husband got very ill and died and I moved from California to Washington state. I am now getting back into the project. Since my Citabria was made in 1968 and gets more expensive the older it get, I am seriously thinking of buying a flying Sonex to fly will I finish my project. This would be a way to get used to the aircraft before I become a test pilot for #1552. I would very much like transition training, but don't know anyone in the area with Sonex time, who is willing and able to instruct in one. It helps to know just how one legally goes about getting such training.
Sx1552

Postby sonex1374 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:17 pm

Colette,

Welcome to the group! We're glad to see you here, and I think you'll find a wealth of helpful information on the forum. Reach out any time with questions or comments.

For those not familiar with Colette, she's not your typical Sonex builder. Check her out on Google and you'll see the depth of her talents!

Jeff
Jeff Shultz
Sonex TD, 3300, AeroInjector
Kansas City, MO
http://www.sonex604.com
sonex1374

Postby NWade » Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:15 am

Hey just a quick note: If you’re in the Seattle area, or anywhere north of Seattle along the I-5 corridor feel free to shoot me a PM! My Sonex is finally about ready to fly, and I’m happy to introduce you to a couple of other Sonex builders & owners in the area.

Take care,

—Noel
Sonex #1339 (painting her now, first flight soon)
Redmond, WA
NWade

Postby Sx1552 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:34 pm

I am at Diamond Point Airport, 2WA1, where I keep my Citabria, which is presently down to replace a former, maybe 2. She was built in 68' and needs way too much TLC and surgery as she gets older. It is my goal, to replace her with a flying Sonex which I can use while I finish my own Sonex build. This would give me familiarization with the aircraft"s flying characteristics before a become the test pilot on my own Sonex Since I have very little time in a Sonex, transition training would make me feel more comfortable.
I am building a Sonex A model and have the engine mount for the Jabiru 3300. Just got back to building after being my husband's caregiver until he died, then building a house, here. Can use any advice on the build. and also any advice on transition training in the area. My EAA chapter is 430, but I don't know anyone there who has built a Sonex. I would very much like to be in contact with other local Sonex builders.
I also have a Sonex at my vacation home in Michigan. I bought it as a project and have been repairing the builder's errors. I just sold the house and need to sell the project. I can't commute 2000 miles to work on it. It is not yet airworthy enough to fly it here.
Colette Miller SX1552
Sx1552

PreviousNext

Return to Safety and Training