tailBeaconX

Discussion topics to include safety related issues and flight training.

tailBeaconX

Postby crahen » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:50 pm

Hello,
Has anyone installed a tailBeaconX from uAvionix? It has a lot going for it, and considering I currently don't even have a transponder it's a pretty attractive option. $2500 + $695 for a control head, which is plenty but pretty good compared to other options.

PS - I now see there is a separate forum for "Electrical and Panel ‹ Avionics and Instruments" if someone is able to move. Thanks.
Last edited by crahen on Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
crahen

Re: tailBeaconX

Postby Rofomoto » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:30 pm

Check out uavionic echo. In and out adsb but you’ll need a transponder. Got a used Garmin 327 for 300.00 and echo for 1400.00
Longassproject
E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles (next year 16- 0)
Rofomoto

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:17 pm

I do not have a transponder in my Waiex either, so the concept of the TailbeaconX is very appealing to me as well! I don't really have a place to mount it on the tail of my Waiex though, but if uAvoinix develops an internal unit (something like the Echo but with the built in transponder) it will be really hard to pass up! Even more so if my MGL Xtreme can be used as a control head. I tried looking up the list of EFIS systems that can control the transponder portion but I didn't see a definitive list. I'll keep my fingers crossed on that one!

Very promising design from uAvoinix! I'm glad they're developing new hardware!
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby fastj22 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:19 pm

Check out the Trig22 ADS-b bundle too, about the same price. Mode S ponder and ADS-b GPS receiver. Just works and is super simple to configure. The remote head is nice so you can put all the guts somewhere out of the way.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby crahen » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:37 pm

fastj22 wrote:Check out the Trig22 ADS-b bundle too, about the same price. Mode S ponder and ADS-b GPS receiver. Just works and is super simple to configure. The remote head is nice so you can put all the guts somewhere out of the way.

Thanks for sharing, it's not apples to apples feature-wise, but slightly less expensive for sure.
crahen

Postby Mikeacro » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:30 pm

270167BF-0979-4D7A-B89A-B86C8508FB7A.jpeg
Initial fabrication

I recently installed the tailbeacon ADSB.it works great! I just primered and filled as necessary. I’ll post a pic when all painted.
Cheers, Mike
Mikeacro

Postby gyroron » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:17 am

Im not sure I understand why you would need a ADS-B out system and not also need a transponder???

Everywhere that requires the ADS-B also requires a transponder.

I could see where it would be nice eitherway, to transmit ADS-B out so other airplanes that have ADS-B in could see you better, would be nice for safety purposes.

In my opinion, the Trig set up is the way to go. Its what I have in my own plane, it works great, its ADS-B out legal and also a really nice transponder. If you ever sell your plane, and the buyer wants to fly in airspace that requires Transponder and ADS-B, having both in the plane will help boost the planes value.
Ron Awad
Legacy Model Waiex TD
3300 Jabiru
Charlotte NC area
gyroron

Postby crahen » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:42 am

gyroron wrote:Im not sure I understand why you would need a ADS-B out system and not also need a transponder???

Everywhere that requires the ADS-B also requires a transponder.

I could see where it would be nice eitherway, to transmit ADS-B out so other airplanes that have ADS-B in could see you better, would be nice for safety purposes.

In my opinion, the Trig set up is the way to go. Its what I have in my own plane, it works great, its ADS-B out legal and also a really nice transponder. If you ever sell your plane, and the buyer wants to fly in airspace that requires Transponder and ADS-B, having both in the plane will help boost the planes value.

I would need a transponder as well (don't have one now). Almost all ADS-B out solutions require a separate transponder and many also need a certified GPS source, the tailBeaconX has both integrated into the single unit, plus can use the Aireon satellite network without the need for diversity antennas.
Last edited by crahen on Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
crahen

Postby crahen » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:43 am

Mikeacro wrote:
270167BF-0979-4D7A-B89A-B86C8508FB7A.jpeg

I recently installed the tailbeacon ADSB.it works great! I just primered and filled as necessary. I’ll post a pic when all painted.
Cheers, Mike

Thanks for sharing, did you have a beacon or light in that space at all prior to the tailBeacon? Are you installing the tailBeacon or tailBeaconX?
crahen

Postby gyroron » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:32 am

okay I looked on uavionics web site and see the product you are talking about.

I was unaware that they offered that. I was thinking you were talking about their standard tail beacon, which does not have a built in transponder.

Still though, after looking at what this is, and adding up the costs, I am still not sure it is the best, nor cheapest option for you. By my math, unless you already have some type of EFIS that the tailbeacon can use to function as the display head for the transponder, you will have at least $3200 plus shipping. Plus whatever time is needed to create a place to mount the tailbeacon ( most Sonex I have seen were never built with lights )

The Trig TT22 transponder is under $2000 and would only require a TN72 receiver which is $369 and a simple Antenna which would be under $50. All in you would be under $2500 with a good proven transponder, with ADS-B out legality.

I will admit, it would probably be slightly easier to install the Tailbeacon, if you already have a place on the plane to install it ( have lights on your plane now in other words ) Although the Trig stuff would not be hard to install, just would require some special pins and crimping tool for making the harness.
Ron Awad
Legacy Model Waiex TD
3300 Jabiru
Charlotte NC area
gyroron

Next

Return to Safety and Training