CFI checkout in tailwheel Sonex in Southern CA

Discussion topics to include safety related issues and flight training.

Postby pilotyoung » Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:05 am

Gentlemen,

I am making a trip to Southern CA in January. I arrive on January 20th and leave on January 27th. I'm building a Onex and my insurance underwriter requires a CFI checkout in a tailwheel Sonex. In the last two years, I have flown a nose wheel RV-12 240 hours. I also have 10,000 total time including 5-6000 hours of jet time. I know how to fly a light sport aircraft, I just needa CFI to check me out in a tailwheel Sonex with regard to landing a tailwheel Sonex. I do have about 60 hours of tailwheel time. Monet of the French Connection gave me my tailwheel endorsement in a Piper Cub. I have time in a Zlin 526 that gets me up to the 60 hour mark.

Is there any one in Southern Ca who could give me a CFI checkout in a tailwheel sonex the week of January 20th. Of course I am willing to pay the reasonable cost of the use of the aircraft and instructor.

John D. Young
pilotyoung

Postby caveman370 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:14 pm

John,
This info was on a previous thread . I have a good friend that was in the insurance business and said all the companies default to that request. All you have to do is get some stick time with someone, 5 to 10 hrs and then tell your insurance company you have the time and they will accept that. If you need a tail wheel endorsement, you might need a sign off though.

Mike ( part time podcast guy). Wannabe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
caveman370

Re: CFI checkout in tailwheel Sonex in Southern CA

Postby pilotyoung » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:46 am

On to option two. Is there anyone in Southern California who owns and flies a tailwheel Sonex who would be willing to fly with me so I can get the feel of a tailwheel sonex. Would not have to be a CFI. I will be happy flying from the right seat and letting the owner take off and land. But this would get me some time in a tailwheel Sonex and give me some room to discuss pilot qualifications with my insurance underwriter when I get my Onex finished. I will gladly pay for the gas and if we fly to a breakfast or lunch, I will pay for that also. I would not need any sign off from the owner of the airplane. Since I have a tailwheel endorsement and am very current in LIght Sport Planes, I could just log the time that I manipulate the controls as PIC time. Also just for your infomation I own an RV-12 and I have flown it 230 hours since February 1918. So I am very current in flying light sport airplanes. If any one is interested, please contract me here or at 295 531-9959 or at johndyoung@me.com. Thanks.
pilotyoung

Re: CFI checkout in tailwheel Sonex in Southern CA

Postby Onex107 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:38 am

I transitioned from 20 years in a C-150 to my tri gear Onex with only one ride in the right seat of a Sonex tail dragger. I had ten hours of tail dragger time in a Champ. I suppose all that helped, but I was still surprised by the quickness of the Onex due to the lighter weight. The stick is very sensitive and light compared to the heaver Cessna. As a result, it leaped off the ground on the first flight due to my heavy handedness. Be gentle. The speeds are similar to the Cessna. It will fly at 60 - 70, climbs at 80 - 90, approaches at 80, flares at 60 - 70, and touches down at 45 - 50. Stall speed is 42 - 45 clean and dirty. The major difference is it is 30 mph faster than the Cessna, aerobatic, and not as stable. You have to fly it all the time. No hands off. Due to the folding wings, the flaps are only half as large as the Sonex and less effective. The ailerons are twice as big and more effective. The Aerovee is the perfect engine for this plane. With more HP everything above changes. With your experiance, you won't have a problem flying, your insurance company shouldn't be concerned. I'm currently at 280 hours (hobbs) on the Aerovee with no problems. If you have any questions, I'm at flyvfr@comcast.net.
Onex107
OneX 107
N2107X
Onex107

Return to Safety and Training