Who is having accidents / incidents

Discussion topics to include safety related issues and flight training.

Who is having accidents / incidents

Postby GraemeSmith » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:59 pm

Just been on an FAA Briefing for the Boston FSDO for FAA year 2019 which ended - end Oct. Accidents in the Boston FSDO area are at their lowest in 10 years while activity is at its highest in 15 years. Though the "lowest" is not enough to prove anything statistically.

Basically there were 20 GA accidents / incidents in the area for the year. One was fatal.

The average age of the USA GA pilot population is 45.

10 of the 20 accidents/incidents were pilots aged 65, and 70-82. In all but one case who were at 25 months since their last flight review. (25 actual months comes from the 24 calendar month rule - they might have still JUST been inside their 24 calendar month rule - but were due or expired).

All these accidents/incidents were put down to pilots' lack of proficiency in what they were attempting.

The FAA are not planning on doing anything with this "age" data at this point - just reviewing what is happening.

--

The fatal in our area - back in Feb was also discussed - the NTSB having just issued its final report. The 386 hour (total time) CFI was found to have failed to maintain control of the aircraft while it performed a go-around - pilot flying (student or CFI) was not established - but CFI carries the can as PIC.

https://app.ntsb.gov/pdfgenerator/Repor ... l&IType=FA
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Re: Who is having accidents / incidents

Postby WaiexN143NM » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:49 am

Hi Graeme,
Thanks for the report. Weather, fuel, lack of currency will always be the 3 leading causes of accidents. When i was working atc for the faa i spoke to the local classes for private, commercial, instrument gnd schools, at the the fsdo faast
seminars for local pilots. A friend owns the aircraft recovery retriveal business for norcal. i was invited every year to the annual safety seminar he conducts for the faa, ntsb, insurance companies. a tour was provided of all the wrecks that year. he gave a synopsis of each accident. the wreckages give a gut wrenching visual. ive been involved in many hair raising incidents. it involves the military , airlines, corporate aviation, in addition to ga.
anytime there was any fatalities , the usual protocal was review the radar and voice data, a then fill out a written statement, then drug/alcohol tested. many times it will end up in court with relatives sueing. faa lawyers will show the employee was free of any impairing situation. sorry, lawyers are very slick. they go after the deep pockets.
its also wrenching for the controllers , who did their best but the circumstances didnt work out well. ive had to talk to the faa lawyers and ntsb investigators. best to have every i dotted and every t crossed.
the average joe public may not understand. the recent PC12 accident in chamberlain SD comes to mind. the media was incredible that the ‘faa’ gave this pilot clearance in such bad weather. the pc12 had 12 people onboard that only seated 10. the airplane was topped up with fuel when it arrived. no hangars , the airplane sat outside. ice snow winds turbulance . this aircraft has a high t tail. most likely wings and tail had frost ice snow. heavy snowing at time of dept.
the investigation will all bring the facts. intuition tells me over gross, aft cg . lots of luggage, hunting gear, lots of pheasants loaded up. contaminated wings tail prop. the airplane got one mile past the departure end before impact which shredded the plane. 3 survivors. we pray for them . kudos to the first responders in these horrific conditions.
accidents like this dont need to happen. but sadly will continue.

weve had a long streak(a few months) now in the sonex community without any accidents/incidents. keep it up.
fly safe and be safe. sometimes just waiting a day will give much better conditions to fly.

happy holidays . if you come to eaa airventure this coming summer stop by the sos beer tent . i’ll buy you a beer. just wear your sonex tshirt or hat.
added: very good article on www.avweb.com. ‘are accident rates out of control?’
WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Return to Safety and Training