FSDO and US ....

Discussion topics to include safety related issues and flight training.

FSDO and US ....

Postby SonexN369UR » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:03 pm

I have great respect for our FAA, however I applied to my local FSDO for an operating area for phase 1 testing after completing my turbo install. I requested a new area as outlined on an an attached attachment (sectional chart marked with proposed area), new weight and balance as weighed, copy of my current operating limitations approval letter and changes as made to my POH.

Mailed letter to FSDO 5 March 2017
Called FSDO to confirm receipt 15 March 2017
Called FSDO to inquire if requested action had been assigned and status. 25 March
NO RESPONSE nor action taken to date 29 March 2017

I think OVER 3 weeks is WAY to long for a simple yes, no or as suggestion changed in order to move on with Phase 1 status.....

Jack Leidenheimer 813-610-7184
SonexN369UR

Re: FSDO and US ....

Postby kmacht » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:57 pm

Not sure how close the FSDO is to you but if it is like the one here in Connecticut you will have much better luck showing up in person rather than trying to do it through the mail. When I went for my repairmans certificate the person doing the interview said it was the first one he had ever done. He was not a new employee but was new to that department. We like to think that the FAA employees are always aware of every rule and regulation but even they sometimes have a learning curve and an in-person visit can sometimes help them sort out exactly what it is that you need from them.

Keith
kmacht

Re: FSDO and US ....

Postby SonexN76ET » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:21 pm

If calling or walking in to the FSDO does not work, I believe you could also go through a DAR to register your major change to your engine with the FAA and to get your new Phase I approved.

Might be worth a try contacting your previous DAR to get his or her input.

Thanks,

Jake
Sonex Tri Gear, Rotax 912 ULS, Sensenich 3 Blade Ground Adjustable Propeller
MGL Velocity EMS, Garmin GTR 200 Comm, GTX 335 ADS B Out Transponder
ILevil AW AHRS & ADS-B In, UAvionix AV20S
200+ hours previously with Aerovee engine
Sarasota, Florida
SonexN76ET

Return to Safety and Training