Sonex-A purchase - What to look for

Discussion topics to include safety related issues and flight training.

Re: Sonex-A purchase - What to look for

Postby Hambone » Tue May 28, 2024 4:51 pm

AeroVees quitting, thunderstorms, gusty crosswinds. Ugh.

Man, I'm so regretting this whole purchase. Unfortunately, I can't get out of it now, so I need to make the most of it. At this point, UHauling it home seems like the lesser evil. I'll be able to make a more reasonable assessment of the situation when I get there tomorrow.

I really appreciate the comments and experiences!
Hambone

Postby Bryan Cotton » Tue May 28, 2024 5:57 pm

There is a lot of negativity here. Just realize that those bad things are not common to every experience.

I think your original plan of flying locally for 2 days to make sure your comfort level is there is good. Then setting off with the approach of waiting out weather. The UHaul solution is always available along the way. An A&P is not required to remove the wings. Would actually be more generally helpful to have either a sonex person or a glider pilot.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby BRS » Tue May 28, 2024 6:00 pm

Bryan,
If he does remove his wings, remind him & me, isn't there an easier sequence like right before left or the other way around when removing/installing.

-brs
-Brock
Sonex-A (s/n 1013)
R2300, P-tip 54/50
Center Stick
V16, TT22
BRS

Postby Bryan Cotton » Tue May 28, 2024 6:46 pm

BRS wrote:Bryan,
If he does remove his wings, remind him & me, isn't there an easier sequence like right before left or the other way around when removing/installing.

-brs

There is a Sonex instruction sheet for that. Looks like right wing goes on first. So to disassemble left wing off first.

Edit:
https://www.sonexaircraft.com/instruction-sheets/
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Hambone » Tue May 28, 2024 7:29 pm

Got a bus, two trains, and two planes to get to Pennsylvania. Lots of time (maybe too much!) to formulate a game plan.

I don’t see comments as positive or negative, only informative. And I appreciate them, too.
Hambone

Postby Scott Todd » Wed May 29, 2024 10:23 am

And for those handful of comments, positive or negative, there are literally hundreds of users out there flying along contently.
Scott Todd

Postby bvolcko38 » Wed May 29, 2024 12:48 pm

Hambone,
If you haven't already, go to this link and download the instructions for wing removal and installation.
https://www.sonexaircraft.com/instructi ... /#gen-info
Bill Volcko XNS0068
Xenos A N68WV 99% flush rivets
Aerovee and Prince P-Tip
MGL Discovery Lite w/ Sandia STX 165R
V6
First hole 4/1/16
First flight 8/24/18
Phase I complete...finally!!!
Also flying a Challenger II since 1999
bvolcko38

Postby daleandee » Wed May 29, 2024 2:12 pm

Scott Todd wrote:And for those handful of comments, positive or negative, there are literally hundreds of users out there flying along contently.

Great information from great sources:

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=6545&hilit=accidents

From the thread:

With the Sonex fleet being larger than ever, and with so many aircraft changing hands, we asked Ron to look at statistics involving Non-Buider Owners, or “NBO’s” both in the Sonex fleet, and in the homebuilt fleet at-large. While Sonex NBO’s are not accounting for more accidents overall in the Sonex fleet, it’s important to note that Sonex NBO’s are more likely to have an accident in the first 10 hours of operating their new aircraft than original builders are during the first 10 hours of the aircraft’s phase I flight testing.

This fact is also confirmed by a NTSB report for experimental aircraft:

https://www.ntsb.gov/safety/safety-stud ... SS1201.pdf

Which comes to this same conclusion (as one of many):

A similarly large proportion of E-AB aircraft accidents occur shortly after being
purchased by a subsequent owner. For example, 14 of the 224 study accidents
during 2011 occurred during the first flight by a new owner of a used E-AB aircraft.

The takeaway is to get familiar with your "new to you" experimental Sonex and get as much transition training as required in order to be able to not only fly it ... but be able to fly it well.
daleandee

Postby Hambone » Thu May 30, 2024 7:12 pm

So I defied the new-owner odds and survived not just one, but two flights. Engine purred along nicely, landings were OK, so I’ve decided to head out early tomorrow morning. Sleeping in the pilot’s lounge to facilitate an early start,and the seller is kind enough to pick me up from Harrisburg after I drop off my rental car.

It’s a real exercise in logistics and cockpit management packing enough for a week, especially without a cargo area behind the seats. I’ve packed everything into a duffle bag and backpack that will be bungeed together and held in by the seat belts.

Flying with an iPad on one leg and a kneeboard on the other doesn’t leave much room for anything else. And I thought an F-16 cockpit was tight!

Anyway, thanks to everyone for the help so far. I hope to get to the Cottons outside Chicago tomorrow before the front gets there, and we’ll see how the weather develops before progressing further west.
Hambone

Postby WaiexB22 » Thu May 30, 2024 8:06 pm

I'm glad to hear positive things here after your arrival. Safe travels! Have FUN!
Robert
Waiex-B 0022
Yamaha Apex
Building
WaiexB22

PreviousNext

Return to Safety and Training