Sonex-A purchase - What to look for

Discussion topics to include safety related issues and flight training.

Re: Sonex-A purchase - What to look for

Postby BRS » Fri Jun 14, 2024 7:50 pm

WesRagle wrote:Hi Brock,

BRS wrote:Yup! Revmaster vs Aerovee design choices. I'll probably not take the time but it would be interesting to mount a temporary probe like in the aerovee instructions just to see how different the two locations are.

I know it's a big ask, but if you get a chance please do. It would be valuable information.

Also, you wouldn't happen to have a pic of the thermocouple tip. Just wondering how the junction is made. Cr/Al or Copper Con?

Edit: What is that black adhesive used to secure the T/C wires?

Thanks,

Wes

Wes, the RTV (my favorite) I buy at Napa (National Aircraft Parts Association). The junction looks to be a simple weld. I believe this kind of probe can be twisted and crimped. I'll see about doing a ground run comparason test.
Attachments
1000011361.jpg
Permatex ULTRA Black 24105 (P/N 765-2425)
PhotoCollage_1718408448361.jpg
-Brock
Sonex-A (s/n 1013)
R2300, P-tip 54/50
Center Stick
V16, TT22
BRS

Postby BRS » Fri Jun 14, 2024 8:03 pm

So the joke was to mount the probes where they made you feel the best and just go fly the thing! 8~)

Dale, not just a joke but an actuall practice. I've a friend who flies an origanal c-172 straigt tail. They had trouble with the oil temps during certification on those planes. The fix was to install a blast tube pointed at the oil temp sensor. (at least that's how I understand it) Amazing, on a certified plane.
Last edited by BRS on Fri Jun 14, 2024 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Brock
Sonex-A (s/n 1013)
R2300, P-tip 54/50
Center Stick
V16, TT22
BRS

Postby WesRagle » Fri Jun 14, 2024 9:58 pm

BRS wrote:Wes, the RTV (my favorite) I buy at Napa (National Aircraft Parts Association). The junction looks to be a simple weld. I believe this kind of probe can be twisted and crimped. I'll see about doing a ground run comparason test.

Thanks,
Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Hummel 2400 w/Zenith Carb
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby Kai » Sat Jun 15, 2024 3:56 am

WesRagle wrote:Hi Brock,

BRS wrote:
I know it's a big ask, but if you get a chance please do. It would be valuable information.

Edit:

Thanks,

Wes

Following!
Kai
Kai

Postby bvolcko38 » Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:00 am

In my experience, the Aerovee valves do not rotate at all. Even though my rockers were set up as per the plans, I see absolutely no evidence of valve rotation. I've had both heads off at different times and there is no exhaust valve rotation whatsoever. There is no way the lubed rocker with an arm of a couple millimeters can overcome the friction of the valve spring. Certified, and other engines have valve rotators.
Bill Volcko XNS0068
Xenos A N68WV 99% flush rivets
Aerovee and Prince P-Tip
MGL Discovery Lite w/ Sandia STX 165R
V6
First hole 4/1/16
First flight 8/24/18
Phase I complete...finally!!!
Also flying a Challenger II since 1999
bvolcko38

Postby daleandee » Sat Jun 15, 2024 4:20 pm

bvolcko38 wrote:In my experience, the Aerovee valves do not rotate at all. Even though my rockers were set up as per the plans, I see absolutely no evidence of valve rotation. I've had both heads off at different times and there is no exhaust valve rotation whatsoever. There is no way the lubed rocker with an arm of a couple millimeters can overcome the friction of the valve spring. Certified, and other engines have valve rotators.

My Corvair and those conversion engines built by Dan Weseman or William Wynne have rotators on the exhaust valves (very early models may not have them. Easy enough to check).

Dale
3.0 Corvair/Tailwheel
daleandee

Postby BRS » Sat Jun 15, 2024 7:18 pm

I had an A&P friend (now flown West) who used to test lycoming valve rotation by repetitivly tapping the rocker with a mallot. You could watch the valve stem turn. Takes some thought so you don't end up pounding on the push rod thus bending it.
-Brock
Sonex-A (s/n 1013)
R2300, P-tip 54/50
Center Stick
V16, TT22
BRS

Postby Kai » Sun Jun 16, 2024 1:13 am

bvolcko38 wrote:In my experience, the Aerovee valves do not rotate at all. Even though my rockers were set up as per the plans, I see absolutely no evidence of valve rotation. I've had both heads off at different times and there is no exhaust valve rotation whatsoever. There is no way the lubed rocker with an arm of a couple millimeters can overcome the friction of the valve spring. Certified, and other engines have valve rotators.

That´s interesting!

With some working experience with the major european makes of VW-1 aeroderivatives, Limbach and Sauer, I have done a certified service rep tech course on them both. There is no doubt that the exhaust valves on these rotate as advertised. But no rotators- just the tappet hitting the stem off centre.

Why would it be different on Aerovee? Perhaps different production setups in Mexico?
Kai

Postby Area 51% » Sun Jun 16, 2024 6:54 am

Kai wrote:Why would it be different on Aerovee? Perhaps different production setups in Mexico?

Mexico?
The cases are manufactured in Brazil, the heads in China, cranks and cams home-grown.
Area 51%

Postby Kai » Mon Jun 17, 2024 12:11 am

That was not such good news. I have an aquaintance whose Aerovee powered Sonex had a crank failure right in front of the first web after some 80 hrs. The front of the crank, the 2 blade wooden Sensenich prop and the scullcap spinner came down in a busy mall parking lot. Nobody was amused. So he decided to go for a Great Plains motor- which held out a little longer. But this crank also broke in two, this time across the last web in front of the flywheel. He decided that there had to be something better that would last at least a couple of years.
Last edited by Kai on Mon Jun 17, 2024 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kai

PreviousNext

Return to Safety and Training