Sonex-A purchase - What to look for

Discussion topics to include safety related issues and flight training.

Re: Sonex-A purchase - What to look for

Postby Hambone » Thu May 09, 2024 11:36 pm

Bryan, Mike & Dale - thanks for those recommendations! I’ll build them all into a duffle bag that I’ll strap into the right seat.

When I ferried my Baby Ace from Georgia to Texas, and knew I was crossing the bayou, I wore a survival vest with all the necessities required should the unthinkable happen. I’m not sure I would have survived the swamp, though!

It’s great to have a community such as this to help each other out. I found the same wonderful camaraderie and helpfulness when I had a vintage VW camper.
Hambone

Postby Scott Todd » Fri May 10, 2024 8:52 am

I've moved small airplanes back and forth across the country a dozen times. The alure and romance of the small uncontrolled or grass strip should NOT be in the plan unless you have made prior arrangements. I can't tell you how many times I have shown up at one only to find the fuel pump out of service, no transportation to food, no oil, etc. On long cross countries, I make it at point to stop at Delta airports. There will always be people, tools, supplies, and anything else you may need. From a safety perspective, If you botch a landing, have a flat, or whatever, someone will be able to help you immediately.
Scott Todd

Postby builderflyer » Fri May 10, 2024 11:52 am

Based on past experience with my Sonex and, so far, what others have not mentioned:

1. An extra spark plug or two and the tools to change them
2. A trickle charger and the ability to connect it to the battery without removing the cowling. Mine includes a long DC cord to be able to reach the airplane from any nearby AC outlet. This setup has gotten me home a couple of times when starting the engine had been difficult.
3. A torque wrench for prop bolts. When my Sensenich wood prop was low time, the prop bolts lost their torque in a very few hours. So on your trip, and without any additional assurance, I'd be checking the prop bolt torque before leaving PA and at least one time enroute.

Have fun and be especially wary of those strong springtime winds,

Art,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sonex taildragger #95,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Jabiru 3300#261
builderflyer

Postby Hambone » Fri May 10, 2024 12:17 pm

Scott Todd wrote:I've moved small airplanes back and forth across the country a dozen times. The alure and romance of the small uncontrolled or grass strip should NOT be in the plan unless you have made prior arrangements. I can't tell you how many times I have shown up at one only to find the fuel pump out of service, no transportation to food, no oil, etc. On long cross countries, I make it at point to stop at Delta airports. There will always be people, tools, supplies, and anything else you may need. From a safety perspective, If you botch a landing, have a flat, or whatever, someone will be able to help you immediately.

Thanks, Scott. That's great advice. I learned some of those lessons on my last trip!
Last edited by Hambone on Fri May 10, 2024 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hambone

Postby Hambone » Fri May 10, 2024 12:18 pm

builderflyer wrote:Based on past experience with my Sonex and, so far, what others have not mentioned:

1. An extra spark plug or two and the tools to change them
2. A trickle charger and the ability to connect it to the battery without removing the cowling. Mine includes a long DC cord to be able to reach the airplane from any nearby AC outlet. This setup has gotten me home a couple of times when starting the engine had been difficult.
3. A torque wrench for prop bolts. When my Sensenich wood prop was low time, the prop bolts lost their torque in a very few hours. So on your trip, and without any additional assurance, I'd be checking the prop bolt torque before leaving PA and at least one time enroute.

Have fun and be especially wary of those strong springtime winds,

Art,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sonex taildragger #95,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Jabiru 3300#261

Thanks, Art. That's really useful information. I'll include those items in my toolkit.

I hope to avoid the worst of the winds and turbulence by being airborne at civil twilight, and on the ground by lunchtime. I'll only press on if the winds and weather look favorable.
Hambone

Postby Bryan Cotton » Fri May 10, 2024 12:30 pm

One thing about the Sonex compared to other tailwheel airplanes I've flown - it has less low speed rudder power than a cub, C140, etc. The 3 point takeoff helps a lot, and I also recommend taking off with a notch of flaps. Gets you off the ground a lot quicker. So as you expand your crosswind comfort level in the airplane keep this in mind. The solid link tailwheel is part of your yaw authority on the ground at lower speeds.

I can't remember how many hours before my prop torque stabilized. These days it never moves, although I still check it when the cowl is off.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Hambone » Fri May 10, 2024 5:01 pm

Bryan Cotton wrote:One thing about the Sonex compared to other tailwheel airplanes I've flown - it has less low speed rudder power than a cub, C140, etc. The 3 point takeoff helps a lot, and I also recommend taking off with a notch of flaps. Gets you off the ground a lot quicker. So as you expand your crosswind comfort level in the airplane keep this in mind. The solid link tailwheel is part of your yaw authority on the ground at lower speeds.

I can't remember how many hours before my prop torque stabilized. These days it never moves, although I still check it when the cowl is off.

More great info! Thanks again, Bryan.
Hambone

Postby Hambone » Fri May 10, 2024 5:04 pm

So I just hit a hurdle while trying to organize insurance with Avemco.

They require 10 hours (!) of dual instruction in a tailwheel Sonex, partially due to my low (30 hours) tailwheel time. In lieu of that, I can apparently do the EAA Flight Advisor program. I don't even know what that is!

I've got some research to do...
Hambone

Postby Bryan Cotton » Fri May 10, 2024 5:49 pm

Bummer. I got around the insurance problem by going without for my first year. Then my insurance was reasonable.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby daleandee » Fri May 10, 2024 7:16 pm

Hambone wrote:So I just hit a hurdle while trying to organize insurance with Avemco.

They require 10 hours (!) of dual instruction in a tailwheel Sonex, partially due to my low (30 hours) tailwheel time. In lieu of that, I can apparently do the EAA Flight Advisor program. I don't even know what that is!

I've got some research to do...

Don't know if it will help but I've had great service from https://air-pros.com/victorianeuville/

Tell Victoria I sent you ...

Dale
3.0 Corvair/Tailwheel
daleandee

PreviousNext

Return to Safety and Training