Sonex-A purchase - What to look for

Discussion topics to include safety related issues and flight training.

Re: Sonex-A purchase - What to look for

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sun May 05, 2024 3:28 pm

Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Hambone » Sun May 05, 2024 3:49 pm

Nice. I didn't look closely enough when I was out there. I'll check them out more thoroughly when I return.
Hambone

Postby WaiexB22 » Sun May 05, 2024 6:38 pm

FWIW I confirmed this was built by Ian Banges father. Ian is active in the Yamaha group and supplied parts for conversions for a while. In my encounters with him, he has been smart, professional, and he is very practical. He is working on a phazer powered chinook that is on youtube. I'm guessing he got at least some of that from his dad and I think you found yourself a sweet bird.
Robert
Waiex-B 0022
Yamaha Apex
Building
WaiexB22

Postby Hambone » Sun May 05, 2024 6:43 pm

WaiexB22 wrote:FWIW I confirmed this was built by Ian Banges father. Ian is active in the Yamaha group and supplied parts for conversions for a while. In my encounters with him, he has been smart, professional, and he is very practical. He is working on a phazer powered chinook that is on youtube. I'm guessing he got at least some of that from his dad and I think you found yourself a sweet bird.

Really? How did you confirm that? It wasn't built by Darick Gundy? Now I'm confused.
Hambone

Postby WaiexB22 » Sun May 05, 2024 7:31 pm

I reached out to Ian, because I knew his dad had one. Sorry for the confusion it was owned by him. He was not the builder.
Robert
Waiex-B 0022
Yamaha Apex
Building
WaiexB22

Postby Hambone » Sun May 05, 2024 8:38 pm

WaiexB22 wrote:I reached out to Ian, because I knew his dad had one. Sorry for the confusion it was owned by him. He was not the builder.

Got it. I think I'm connecting the dots now!
Hambone

Postby Hambone » Thu May 09, 2024 6:38 pm

Well, I'm trying to get prepared for the potential 2000+ mile cross-country from Pennsylvania to California. I hope to travel light, and fit everything in the right seat.

So, what are the recommendations for tools and equipment to bring? I'm hoping the engine is well-tweaked before departing Pennsylvania, and won't require servicing during the 20 or so hours flying home (fingers crossed!) I'd like to carry a minimal tool kit to accommodate potential issues along the way, such as a spare tube and pump, etc, as well as oil, rags, tiedowns, emergency survival gear, etc.

Any recommendations greatly appreciated!
Hambone

Postby Bryan Cotton » Thu May 09, 2024 7:00 pm

I'd bring some safety wire. A canopy cover if you have one.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Thu May 09, 2024 10:18 pm

First, congratulations on the purchase of a very nice looking airplane! I hope you’re very happy with the Sonex and enjoy it as much as the rest of us!

Everyone is going to have different ideas on a tool kit so you will have to use your best judgement but in general, only bring stuff you’ll actually be able to use. Meaning, if you’re going to carry a spare tube and tire, have proper tools to actually perform the tire change including a new cotter pin for the axle bolt. Having said that, I would take enough tools to be able to pull the engine cowling and perform basic adjustments as needed.

My list would be something like:
- extra quart of oil
- canopy cover
- extra tire tube
- some duct tape
- some safety wire
- a few basic tools including screwdrivers and wrenches

Sometimes it’s amazing what you can do with some duct tape and a multi tool!

No matter what have a great trip and keep us up to date on your progress! Use this community as a resource as well!
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby daleandee » Thu May 09, 2024 10:41 pm

Hambone wrote:Well, I'm trying to get prepared for the potential 2000+ mile cross-country from Pennsylvania to California. I hope to travel light, and fit everything in the right seat.

Congrats on aircraft ownership!

As for tools I'd carry a stubby 3/8 rachet and a few sockets for plugs & common sizes for bolts & nuts, a few wrenches, a common double ended screwdriver (the ends where the bits go in are also nut drivers), engine oil, spare tube, a flashlight, a bit of safety wire, duct tape, a multi-tool & flashlight. It is wise to carry the ability to start a fire in case you are stranded and need to make heat, draw attention, or make coffee while you wait for help. 8~)

Plot a course near airports and, if possible, near to places where Sonex owners live as they are very helpful and most would likely have the ability to fix any concerns by lending/giving parts or tools as needed.

It should be a great adventure so you can sign on at night and keep us updated on your progress. Enjoy the ride!

Best ...

Dale
3.0 Corvair/Tailwheel
daleandee

PreviousNext

Return to Safety and Training