Accident N543SX

Discussion topics to include safety related issues and flight training.

Accident N543SX

Postby WaiexN143NM » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:31 pm

Hi all,
Just caught this off www.kathrynsreport.com today. Sonex down in carrabelle FL.
mr. gregory newman. Lifeflighted out . Hope hes ok.

WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM
 
Posts: 630
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:04 am
Location: SF CA, Tucson AZ

Re: Accident N543SX

Postby fastj22 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:36 pm

Here's the direct link to the incident.
http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2018/02/a ... -near.html

John Gillis
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger, SkyGuard ADS-B
First flight, 3/16/2013. 350+ hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 4 States landed in: CO, NB, NM, TX, OK, IA, KS, WI, IL, WY
User avatar
fastj22
 
Posts: 1382
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:56 pm
Location: Mile High

Re: Accident N543SX

Postby wlarson861 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:01 am

According to the updated story in the link the pilot has died from his injuries. My sympathy goes out for his family and the flying community.
http://www.wctv.tv/content/news/One-inj ... 89443.html
Bill Larson
N861SX
Sonex, polished, tail wheel, AeroVee Turbo
wlarson861
 
Posts: 379
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:41 pm

Re: Accident N543SX

Postby Waiex 49 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:59 pm

I hate to ask, but is this another AeroVee accident?
Waiex 49
 
Posts: 153
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:51 pm

Re: Accident N543SX

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:26 pm

Waiex 49 wrote:I hate to ask, but is this another AeroVee accident?

It appears the airplane was powered by an AeroVee, but I hope we can all avoid speculation on any cause until we know more of what happened.

My thoughts and prayers to the family and friends of the pilot. A very sad day.
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
AeroVee #0631
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56
 
Posts: 1267
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:38 pm
Location: Columbus, Ohio

Re: Accident N543SX

Postby WaiexN143NM » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:07 pm

Hi all,
The NTSB preliminary report came out a few days ago . If you click on the direct link( thanks john g. ) you will find the updated report on the Kathryns website. Its interesting reading , some of the direct witness observations. The narative goes along with trying to turn back to the airport after engine trouble, and is reflective of the other recent post on here.

WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM
 
Posts: 630
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:04 am
Location: SF CA, Tucson AZ

Re: Accident N543SX

Postby XenosN42 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:53 am

WaiexN143NM wrote:Hi all,
The NTSB preliminary report came out a few days ago . If you click on the direct link( thanks john g. ) you will find the updated report on the Kathryns website. Its interesting reading , some of the direct witness observations. The narative goes along with trying to turn back to the airport after engine trouble, and is reflective of the other recent post on here.

WaiexN143NM
Michael


Here is the direct link: https://app.ntsb.gov/pdfgenerator/ReportGeneratorFile.ashx?EventID=20180205X40240&AKey=1&RType=HTML&IType=LA
XenosN42
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:45 pm

Re: Accident N543SX

Postby vwglenn » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:00 pm

Aeorvee or not. The amount of Sonex accident synopsis' with "during the initial climb" is a trend in my opinion.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...
Please! Please! Please! Fly the plane! Fly it into the trees. Fly it into the water. Fly it into a fence. Fly it into a building. Fly it into a mountain. Just don't spin it in. Your chances of survival are much greater.
Glenn
Sonex #600
N889AP
vwglenn
 
Posts: 416
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:00 am
Location: 6A2 - South of ATL

Re: Accident N543SX

Postby Spinnetti » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:50 pm

Pardon my ignorance on such matters, but given there will be no NTSB investigation, is there any chance of Sonex getting the motor back for a post mortem? At least that would give an object lesson for others even it it was entirely on builder... Without that can only speculate...
Spinnetti
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:04 pm

Re: Accident N543SX

Postby XenosN42 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:39 am

Spinnetti wrote:Pardon my ignorance on such matters, but given there will be no NTSB investigation, is there any chance of Sonex getting the motor back for a post mortem? At least that would give an object lesson for others even it it was entirely on builder... Without that can only speculate...


There will be a NTSB investigation. They work with the local FAA/FSDO, and in many cases they also work with vendors, like Sonex, that have special expertise in the aircrafts components. The final report is usually issued in about 14-16 months.

-- Michael
OneX N169XE
XenosN42
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:45 pm

Next

Return to Safety and Training

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests