Grandson's First Flight In Myunn

Post stories/images of the first flight of your Sonex, Waiex, Xenos, or Onex here.

Grandson's First Flight In Myunn

Postby daleandee » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:21 am

Perhaps this will inspire a few of you builders to pick up the pace a bit ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ho2uh1cZwmY&feature=youtu.be

Dale Williams
N319WF @ 6J2
Myunn - "daughter of Cleanex"
120 HP - 3.0 Corvair
Tail Wheel - Center Stick
60.7 hours / Status - Flying
http://kitplanes2.com/blog/2013/12/ownerbuilder-2/
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC49h6Qijc17_Ebfz0CbRFtg
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/carolinasportflyers/
daleandee

Re: Grandson's First Flight In Myunn

Postby Bryan Cotton » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:23 pm

Very cool. Fun to see young enthusiasm. I did a lot of YE rides in a C140. I had a lot of cushions to boost the smaller kids up which helps a lot, especially if they are not as sure as your Matthew. Did I see on the credits that you were the musician? You are talented.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby vicdelgado9 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:44 pm

Great video Dale! and spunky grand son too! :)
Vic Delgado
Sonex "CorVex" #969 Plans
3.0L Corvair, tail dragger, single stick
Houston, TX
Expercraft Builders Log
complete: tail,wings, welded & angle parts
"Old Corvairs never die, They just earn their wings".
vicdelgado9

Postby daleandee » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:57 pm

Bryan Cotton wrote:Very cool. Fun to see young enthusiasm. I did a lot of YE rides in a C140. I had a lot of cushions to boost the smaller kids up which helps a lot, especially if they are not as sure as your Matthew. Did I see on the credits that you were the musician? You are talented.

Thanks Bryan,

In 20/20 hindsight perhaps I should have put a cushion under him. I asked if he was scared and he said "just a little" but quickly added "I'm OK!"

Yes I did the song. That was the easy part and actually was done in one take. The video (as you can see) was a collection of random parts of which some were taken by a 7 year old grandchild. Still, I had enough to put together to show what a great day it was.

Got a few more grandchildren to go but they need to do some more growing.

Dale Williams
N319WF @ 6J2
120 HP - 3.0 Corvair
daleandee

Postby daleandee » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:01 pm

vicdelgado9 wrote:Great video Dale! and spunky grand son too! :)

Yes sir ... sometimes he's full of himself. That was the reason I captioned his remark while waiting for the oil temp to come up when he said very matter of factly ... "well, let's get going!" :lol:

Dale Williams
N319WF @ 6J2
120 HP - 3.0 Corvair
daleandee

Postby Bryan Cotton » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:28 pm

Dale,

One of the first Young Eagles kids I took could not see over the front, and he focused on the panel of the 140. He was really nervous and I cut the flight a little short. Then I switched to cushions and it was better. I goofed on my son Matthew's first glider flight. Rather than take him myself, I bought a ride in a Schweizer 2-32. That seats two in the back so I could hang with him and let somebody else fly. At first when we sat back there I was thinking he was a little low, but decided it would be ok. Then they closed the canopy after we were hooked to the pawnee and the fiberglass skirt went higher. I should have stopped it then and got cushions and had always regretted it, as the flight made him dizzy. Later though he was my most staunch flyer and the first to do wingovers. He has lost interest now though.

A friend from both my old EAA chapter and Harris Hill had made a 4" thick laminated igloo cooler foam cushion for his kids to take in the 140. Later he modified it by cutting off a couple corners so it would fit in the 2-33. He gave it to me, I used it a bunch both for my own kids and young eagles. It was fun once they were heavy enough (60 lbs) to go in the front with ballast. That was the first time I ever had enough aft trim in a 2-33.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby dwhash » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:39 am

Great Video Dale, Looks like flying weather is finally here in the Carolinas

Dave Hash
dwhash

Postby daleandee » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:57 pm

dwhash wrote:Great Video Dale, Looks like flying weather is finally here in the Carolinas

Dave Hash

Hey Dave,

Good to hear from you sir! Actually I've been blessed with being able to get in the air frequently this winter but admittedly the last couple of months have enhanced my tail wheel skills. 8-)

Had a noticeable crosswind when leaving Lowcountry Regional but it was the thermal activity that had me hanging on and feeling like a rodeo rider while waiting for the horn to blow. Once I got some altitude and over some greener farm land is was better. But I suspected as much and that was the reason I decided not to take the 7 year old back with me. I sent him home with his mom.

Dale
N319WF
daleandee

Return to First Flights!