First Flight of Wes's Onex #89

Post stories/images of the first flight of your Sonex, Waiex, Xenos, or Onex here.

Postby WesRagle » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:26 pm

Hi Guys,

Well, finally, all the stars aligned today. Storms moved through Monday night. Drizzle Tuesday. Clear and calm Tuesday night. The forecast called for calm winds this morning, but as this morning got closer the forecast changed to winds light out of the north east. Well, OK, runway 4.

I got up this morning at 4:30 A.M. and was at Olney airport by 5:30. At 5:45 I warmed the engine for a couple of minutes so the oil wouldn't be stone cold. I shut the engine down and waited for a text from a friend who was coming to man the radio and call for any emergency aid if needed. He texted at 5:50 "Departing now". He arrived about 6:20. We talked about the flight a few minutes and I gave him one last chance to make the first flight for me. No dice. So, out of options and excuses, I mounted up.

I taxied to runway 4, did a run up, made the radio call, released the brake (the last item on the run up check list) and took position right on the center line of 4. I made sure my feet were positioned in the center of the peddles, took a deep breath, and here we go.

The things going through my mind:

1) Advance the throttle slowly and smoothly.
2) Straight with your feet.
3) Except nothing less than the center line.
4) Watch the sight picture and raise the tail just slightly and let it fly off.

That seemed to work. I made it off the ground :-)

The next step was to establish a shallow climb letting the airplane accelerate to an indicated airspeed of 100 MPH to keep the cylinders cool. So far so good. Next, adjust the climb angle as necessary to maintain 100 MPH indicated. At the airport boundary make a sweeping left turn and role out on 04 downwind. Continue the climb throughout the downwind. At what would be the base turn for 04 turn left and establish a pattern roughly equivalent to the the airport boundary, reduce power to keep CHTs under control and continue climbing, at a reduced rate, until 2000 ft. AGL. Next level out and further reduce power to 3000 RPM and fly four laps around the airport boundary.

After the four laps the power was reduced until indicated airspeed was about 100 MPH. Flaps were then extended and airspeed was allowed to bleed off until the horizon was obscured, that to ensure sufficient elevator authority to flare. Check.

Time to come down. I began the descent on what would be the upwind leg of the pattern and entered the downwind at pattern altitude. Reduced airspeed to 100, pulled power to idle, deployed flaps, and trimmed for 75 indicated abeam the touchdown point. I flew a kinda sloppy base but did manage to role out on the center line. I intentionally landed long to cover an engine out. I unintentionally landed a little hot and flared a little high. That left me in the flare a long time, but it also gave me plenty of time to find the ground. Not a greaser, but not too bad.

I taxied back to the hangar and we pulled the cowl top. There were a couple of drops of oil beneath each valve cover (I hope it's not the push tubes). We reinstalled the cowl and decided I should fly the first flight again to make sure it wasn't a fluke. The only difference with the second first flight was that I would open the throttle to full for one minute per Scott's instructions. Of course my second landing attempt ended in a balk. I wasn't lined up well and was too "flat" on approach. The third attempt wasn't as good as the first but not horrible. 40 min. total flight time. Good enough. Time to call it a day.

Taxi testing resulted in two changes before flight.

1) I had gotten the tightest turning radius I could with the direct steering. After some 20 MPH taxiing that didn't seem/feel like a good idea. I reduced the sensitivity of the steering. As it turns out it ended up right where the factory pilot hole was :-)
2) I had the engine set too rich. I turned it back to where it was on the first engine runs, 3.5 turns out.

The Good:

The engine performed almost perfectly. I only saw two parameters hit the red. The highest EGT hit 1402 during the full throttle run. Less than 30 seconds after applying full throttle the RPM warning went off at 3600 RPM, that while swinging a Prince P-Tip 54x50, in a constant turn, and with out of trim conditions. I had to initiate a shallow climb to keep the RPM in the green. I feel pretty good about that. I was also happy with the amount of power available when I balked the landing. Instant climb with full flaps. I have worried that I would be over propped. I can quit worrying about that now. CHTs never busted 375.

I was happy with the Sonex A style trim. I was afraid it would be way too sensitive. Initial impression is it will be just fine.

The Bad:

A heavy left wing and possibly some rudder trim needed.

The Ugly:

The pilot needs work. I need to treat every flight as a first flight for a while. I need to nail the approach and find the ground.

That's about it. I need to tweak some things but I suppose that's expected. I'll get it flying right, get some more landings under my belt, and then proceed with phase one proper.

Forever Forward,

Wes

Last edited by WesRagle on Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Hummel 2400 w/Zenith Carb
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Re: First Flight of Wes's Onex #89

Postby Rofomoto » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:35 pm

Way to go!! Have fun
Longassproject
E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles (next year 16- 0)
Rofomoto

Postby Sonex1517 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:48 pm

Congratulations Wes! Way to go!

Landing is alllll about the sight picture!

I’m really glad you got that first flight in!
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
325+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Postby Rynoth » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:59 pm

Awesome Wes! Congrats!!
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Postby WaiexN143NM » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:06 pm

Hi all,
Good job wes!! now the fun begins. stick to phase 1 and the basics.

WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby dirkverdonck » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:36 am

Congratulations, well done !
Dirk Verdonck
Leffinge, Belgium
Onex #117
Taildragger, Aerovee 2.1, MGL iEFIS, TRIG radio and Transponder, electric flaps, external elevator trim, shortened wingtips, hydraulic brakes, hightened seat pan, extra inspection panels, etc
dirkverdonck

Postby Carlos Trigo » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:49 am

Wes

I’m not sure what’s best: to know about your first flight, or to read your excellently written description...

Congrats

Let the fun begin

Carlos
Carlos Trigo

Postby bakerde36 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:23 am

Congratulations on first flight.
I was wondering what engine and carb you have? I have the Hummel 2400 with a Prince Ptip 54x50 and I can't get more than 3100 RPMs static or in level flight.
Densil Baker
Sonex 1578, Tailwheel
Hummel 2400, Prince Ptip 54x50
bakerde36

Postby 13brv3 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:43 am

Congrats Wes, and thanks for letting us all play along!
Rusty
Rusty
Onex- Rotax 912 (130 hours and counting)
Fixed wing, gyroplane, A&P
13brv3

Postby GraemeSmith » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:43 am

Congrats Wes! And great write up.
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Next

Return to First Flights!