First flight surprises & tips

Post stories/images of the first flight of your Sonex, Waiex, Xenos, or Onex here.

First flight surprises & tips

Postby Darick » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:16 am

For all of those who didn't haven't have t-training, what was the biggest surprise about flight control, if any? I trained in a champ, had time in Cubs and Ercoupe. Any comparisons to this would be interesting.
Thanks,
Darick
Darick Gundy
Sonex #1646
N417DG
Taildragger, Aerovee, center stick, Prince P-Tip Prop
MGL E1, F2, V6 radio, Sandia Xponder, Reserve lift indicator (AOA), iFly 520
First flight! 10/21/2017
Darick

Re: First flight surprises & tips

Postby Sonerai13 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:40 am

Darick,

For pilots who have no experience in other similar aircraft (such as other homebuilts, or light-sport aircraft) and have primarily flown "general aviation" aircraft like Cessnas and Pipers, the biggest revelation will be the very light control forces required to fly the Sonex. Just about every pilot I've flown with starts out by over-controlling the airplane. The airplane is VERY light on the controls, especially in pitch. For normal maneuvers, you don't really move the stick so much as you apply pressure to it. Just fingertips on the stick and a relaxed arm is your friend. Rest your arm on your leg and touch the stick with you thumb and fingertips. You won't need to move your arm at all. Your fingers and wrists are all you need.

Second, the airplane sits quite low to the ground, and responds to those light controls very readily. So most pilots tend to start their landing flare way too early, resulting in leveling off 10 or so feet above the runway, rather than a foot or so. Pay particular attention to the sight picture when sitting on the ground, and fly the airplane down to the runway until you see that approximate picture. Flaring too high and then just sitting there and waiting for the airplane to come down will result in a VERY abrupt touchdown! And "chasing" the airplane down from a high flare can result in an even worse touchdown! Many times, a go-around is the best answer to a high flare.

On the flip side, as a tailwheel airplane, the Sonex line is about as benign as you can get. Very stable and predictable ground handling. If you are comfortable in a Champ or a Cub (or a Citabria), you're probably over-qualified to fly a Sonex (from the standpoint of tailwheel ground handling).

If you can, get some stick time in another Sonex, an RV of some variety, or one of the new light-sport aircraft. Any of those would give you some feel for the light control forces. If you can get in tune with the control forces, you won't have any problems.
Joe Norris
Sonex N208GD (S/N 450)
Sonerai II N13NN (S/N 1206)
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Sonerai13

Postby Fastcapy » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:59 pm

What Joe said!
Mike Beck
Oshkosh, WI (KOSH)
Sonex #1145 N920MB
Std Gear, Modified Aerovee, Rotec TBI, Dual Stick, Acro Ailerons
MGL Panel
Airworthiness: 10/24/13, First Flight: 05/18/14
Fastcapy

Postby kevinh » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:05 pm

I've never flown a Sonex (!) but I have flown an RV a bunch (and an Ercoupe before that) and I especially agree with Joe's comment about "Just fingertips". This is not even an exaggeration: Literally force yourself to hold the stick with just the tip of one finger and thumb until you are fully comfortable with the light control forces. Using this trick makes it much less likely to overcontrol.
Taildragger Waiex in progress, tail done, wings done, about to mate wings to fuse,
then cowl, canopy, paint (photos): flush rivets, turbo aerovee, acro ailerons
(I built my RV7A and happily flew it for about 500 hrs)
kevinh

Postby Darick » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:07 pm

Thank you Joe, Mike, Kevin. I will be flying soon.
Darick Gundy
Sonex #1646
N417DG
Taildragger, Aerovee, center stick, Prince P-Tip Prop
MGL E1, F2, V6 radio, Sandia Xponder, Reserve lift indicator (AOA), iFly 520
First flight! 10/21/2017
Darick

Postby dtwolcott » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:29 am

I'm with you Darick. My training has been in a Champ and an Ercoupe and am getting ready for my first flight.
Thanks Joe for your input on this subject. Your suggestion of resting my arm on my leg and letting my fingers do the work gives me a good sense of the difference between the Champ I am used to and how the Waiex might be different in effort needed for control.
Don
Don
Waiex 132 N132YX
3MY
dtwolcott

Postby LarryEWaiex121 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:04 pm

Six years ago before my Waiex first flight I was given several hours of right seat time in Ray Krause' Waiex. He did the first takeoff and I watched the control inputs and made a mental note to self. Pressure, not even visible movement for most part. Reminded me of helicopter input. Light, quick pressure.
Due to insurance matters it was not practical to let me do the actual takeoffs and landings but I got to do all but put it on the ground. The sight picture as Joe pointed out is the key.
Fly it down with the 3pt. attitude established and keep letting it down till you feel like your butt is about to drag on the ground and it will wheel on in a perfect 3 pt. attitude.
Personally, I think the biggest hurdle some folks are likely to have difficulty with is the temptation to round it out in the flair and keep pulling elevator the way you do in many Cubs.
Having flown gliders, it wasn't hard for me to adapt to the idea of flying the plane low, into the 3pt. condition and letting it settle without further elevator input.
The Sonex and Waiex are quite simple to fly for the most part. Just a bit different to land.
Personally, I still get a big smile when I come in and wait for the stall and pull just enough ruddervator to wheelie it on gently on the tailwheel and moments later the mains come on.
Just makes a guy grin like he won the lottery. Never gets old.

Larry
Waiex121YX, 590 hrs. Camit 3300, Skyview
LarryEWaiex121

Postby Bryan Cotton » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:17 pm

Good discussion. What I am reading from this is that my helicopter and glider experience will be helpful.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby NWade » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:46 pm

Bryan Cotton wrote:Good discussion. What I am reading from this is that my helicopter and glider experience will be helpful.

Bryan - Only if your glider experience is not in a 2-33. :-D
But any single-seat composite glider will probably give the appropriately-light feel on the stick.

--Noel
NWade

Postby Bryan Cotton » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:12 pm

I was more thinking glider for the landings and closeness to the ground. Helicopter for light touch. The zippiest, lightest glider I've flown is a 1-26. Snappier than my L33, the ASK 21's, and others I've flown. It has short wings. I took a buddy in the 2-33 once, he says "wow, this is like a Ferrari!" Then he proceeded to hit all 4 corners of the control box. It wasn't scary.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Next

Return to First Flights!