Phase 1 - first taxi tests

Post stories/images of the first flight of your Sonex, Waiex, Xenos, or Onex here.

Phase 1 - first taxi tests

Postby Waiex 49 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:17 pm

I rolled my Waiex out of the hangar today and did my first taxi tests since the new engine installation and general aircraft rebuild program.

The new Viking engine runs really well. It runs smoothly and seems full of power and ready to go! All pressures and temps were in the green and the engine loves to run.

With differential braking and the 6 inch tailwheel it taxis real nice and is very controllable.

Only two items noted from the taxi tests:

The fuel pressure indicator failed and reads 57 psi at all times (even with the engine is not running). I'll be talking to Dynon this week to get the fix for this.

The new Sonex disc brakes work well but they are a bit weak feeling. Seems right for new disc brakes, I'm sure they will improve as I get some more hours on the plane and use them more.

I really, really like having toe brake pedals and differential braking. Wow....just like a real aircraft! It is so nice to have toe brakes and not have to take my hand off the throttle to pull on that darned brake lever!

Weather permitting, I'll be taxiing every day after work. As soon as I get the fuel pressure readings straightened out I will roll it down the runway and start my test flights.

My two major events this year will be the Rio Linda show in May and the "big show" at Oshkosh.

Hope to see you there!

Don Bowen
Viking Waiex N49YX
KLHM
Waiex 49

Re: Phase 1 - first taxi tests

Postby N111YX » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:19 pm

Keep us posted, Don!

I'm interested to see ole #49 someday. I'll bet she's a lot different from the old bird that I did my "first Waiex solo" in...:)
Kip

2010 Waiex 0082 (first flight May 2010)
Jabiru 3300 #1637 and #3035
Dynon D-180
Becker radios
Garmin GDL 82 ADS-B
1050 hours
48 states visited
Based near Atlanta

Also flying a...
2000 Kolb Firestar II, Rotax 503, 575 hours
N111YX

Re: Phase 1 - first taxi tests

Postby Waiex 49 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:39 pm

Hi Kip,

I was blessed that Mr. Teel did a very nice job on the original build.
The plane steers well as I have one of your six inch tailwheel setups!

My misfortune with the AeroVee started me on this path of mods and mayhem!
It has been an intense four-year rebuild but I am very happy with the results.

If you are attending Oshkosh I would hope to meet you there!

Don
Waiex 49

Return to First Flights!