Fall SE Sonex Gathering, November 10-12 @ JZP **** Canceled

Announce and discuss upcoming fly-ins

Please read below and submit your answer: I will attend the SE Sonex Gathering Nov 10-12 at JZP and

Poll ended at Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:59 pm

Camp on the field
33%
Stay in a nearby hotel or other accommodation
50%
Come out Saturday for the day only
17%

Total votes : 6

Fall SE Sonex Gathering, November 10-12 @ JZP **** Canceled

Postby austexaviator » Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:59 pm

Between the insurance company and the airport I finally received all of the information I needed. Please read this carefully and respond to the poll as we will need a minimum number of attendees to split the insurance cost to make it worthwhile.
The insurance for the event is $591. I figure we will split this amongst all of the overnight attendees. To make it reasonable (less than $100 per aircraft we need at least 6). I will front the insurance money. I can cancel up to 24 hrs in advance (bad weather forecast, etc). If the fly in doesn't happen this year I will try again in 2024. The airport management is very supportive.
Tiedown (and camping) will be $15 per night. There are hotels nearby and the airport has a courtesy car. I will also have my car there and can shuttle people around or get groceries or anything else needed.

Please complete the poll by October 31st. You can change your answers until the poll closes. If we have at least 6 people we will continue with the fly-in.
Hoping to connect with a few like minded Sonex enthusiast.

If you have any questions or comments, please reply to this post. I will be checking for updates daily and respond within 24 hrs.
Last edited by austexaviator on Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Patrick
Tailwheel Sonex Model A Jabiru 3300
austexaviator

Re: Fall SE Sonex Gathering, November 10-12 @ JZP

Postby 13brv3 » Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:20 pm

Weather permitting, I'll be there part of Friday, but that's not one of the options, and probably doesn't factor in any of your decisions. Hopefully it works out, but there's always spring.
Rusty
Onex- Rotax 912 (130 hours and counting)
Fixed wing, gyroplane, A&P
13brv3

Postby tps8903 » Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:43 pm

Have we had a lost of interest?

I'm still in. Hopefully there are a few more people. I don't want to spend $300 in insurance to visit one person, I'd rather just meet off the record for lunch at that price!!!!
Chris Morris
Sonex N998PC - SOLD!
Sonex #1732 - Aerovee Turbo
Central Florida
tps8903

Postby austexaviator » Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:27 pm

I think there is still some interest but we'll call it on November 1. No money exchange necessary. If the event doesn't happen this fall I will try again in the spring. But I am totally up for a lunch run too.
Patrick
austexaviator

Postby daleandee » Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:28 pm

austexaviator wrote:I think there is still some interest but we'll call it on November 1. No money exchange necessary. If the event doesn't happen this fall I will try again in the spring. But I am totally up for a lunch run too.

I sure want this to happen but the insurance thing could get expensive if only a few show up. I have full coverage on my plane for in motion or not so it seems a bit redundant to pay for additional insurance. The camping fees are reasonable I guess, but it would be rather cool/cold overnight in that location at that time of the year. For an old codger like me a local hotel would be a much better fit as long as transportation to & from are available.

Have you considered JCA or another non-towered airport in roughly the same location? Is there an EAA chapter on the field? If you can call it an EAA fly-in they will grant insurance coverage. Perhaps you could add a Young Eagles Rally (at least three planes & pilots required for a rally) and then you get additional coverage. FWIW I am a YE pilot and have the package to do YE flights ...

Dale
3.0 Corvair/Tailwheel
daleandee

Postby tps8903 » Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:41 pm

austexaviator wrote:I think there is still some interest but we'll call it on November 1. No money exchange necessary. If the event doesn't happen this fall I will try again in the spring. But I am totally up for a lunch run too.

I booked off work that weekend to make the fly in. So if it's scrubbed I'd definitely be up for a lunch run in central GA.
Chris Morris
Sonex N998PC - SOLD!
Sonex #1732 - Aerovee Turbo
Central Florida
tps8903

Postby L2Jarvis » Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:14 pm

Very much looking forward to the event!
L2Jarvis

Postby Arjay » Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:43 am

JCA is a great location, has cheap gas, 2 FBO’s, lots of open space, but no restaurant. I would do a one day lunch run there, but don’t want to buy more insurance.

Ron
Arjay

Postby austexaviator » Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:16 pm

The insurance is a requirement by airport management for camping for things that your plane insurance won't cover. Here is an example of what I can think of: a wind gust causes your tent to fly off and a tent pole brakes a canopy of another parties airplane.
There is no EAA chapter on the field as far as I know.
Patrick
austexaviator

Postby bakerde36 » Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:24 pm

I will be coming flying if possible driving if not. I will help with the cost.
Thanks Densil
Densil Baker
Sonex 1578, Tailwheel
Hummel 2400, Prince Ptip 54x50
bakerde36

Next

Return to Fly-Ins