Airventure 2023

Announce and discuss upcoming fly-ins

Re: Airventure 2023

Postby NWade » Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:00 pm

Bryan Cotton wrote:How is that phase 1 going Noel? Don't feel bad if you don't make it. Be safe!

Thanks, Bryan. I am definitely not going to succumb to get-there-itis!

But I am happy to report that I successfully finished my task-based flight testing at the beginning of this week. Spent the last couple of days in the hangar, converting duct-taped trim tabs and cooling lips into riveted items on the airplane, as well as taking my dad up for familiarization flights since he will be my passenger/navigator (bombardier?) to and from Oshkosh. :-)

The engine still doesn’t cool as well as I’d like in climb, so our cruise climbs are going to be a whopping 300-400 ft./min. But that’s what I’ve deemed “acceptable” for our go/no-go decision. The bird runs at ~360-390 in level cruise at almost any power setting.
Other than that, and the AeroVee weeping a bit of oil when it’s hot, all systems appear to be functioning well. Baggage has been weighed, CG has been calculated, and while I am a bit trepidatious, I feel as ready as I will be. Short test cross-country flights have gone well, and although it’s snug, my dad and I have no problems rubbing shoulders for 1 to 2 hours at a time.

Barring a late end breaking issue, I will depart Seattle across the cascade mountains this afternoon, overnighting in the Tri-Cities. Then we are Oshkosh bound at dawn on Thursday! I am prepared to call it off at any moment, if issues arise and we don’t have the right spares on hand. But I am hoping to cover the 1400 mile flight-plan over 2-3 days (6-7 legs of 150-200 miles per leg) and see many of you soon! I have a tiny little gift for Sonex employees and fellow Sonex pilots that we meet there. :-)

—Noel
Sonex #1339
N127NW
NWade

Postby Bryan Cotton » Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:11 pm

Hey Noel, congrats on completing phase 1! It's a big accomplishment.

For cross country I generally cruise climb at 90kts, and have done it at 100kts when we were struggling with temperature issues. So 300-400 fpm is fine. Keep the engine happy!

I'm printing out the relevant sections of the NOTAM and I'm making my signs. Hope to see you and everybody at the open house.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby NWade » Thu Jul 20, 2023 1:32 am

Welp, getting off to a rocky start: I (foolishly) updated my MGL firmware while making sure all of my maps and navidata files were using the latest & greatest... The firmware update seems to have broken comms with my SP-12 (TABS/ADS-B unit)!

I've left support tickets and forum posts with MGL, but its pushed my departure back by about 12 hours... :-(

--Noel
NWade

Postby Bryan Cotton » Thu Jul 20, 2023 11:18 am

Good luck Noel!

I just got a Sonex 25th anniversary email from Charlie Becker/EAA. I had pre-registered the Waiex. Key details:

Dear Sonex pilot,
Thanks for pre-registering your Sonex.
Once you arrive at AirVenture, please register at Homebuilders HQ to get your show plane mug and I Flew My Homebuilt patch!

If you want to park with the Sonex aircraft on the flightline but still want to camp, there is space in HB Camping to pitch your tent. Our Welcome Wagon can transport you to the location with your gear. Welcome Wagons run the wagons from 8 am-8 pm. Just call the Welcome Wagon at 920/230-7906 or stop in at HBHQ.

So I am definitely going to park on the flightline and camp at the location. That is a cool option!
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Bryan Cotton

Postby NWade » Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:50 am

Welp, my cooling issues have returned with a vengeance. I may be stuck in rural Montana! :-(

I made a decent morning flight across WA state and got up to altitude OK. But after stopping to pick up my dad in E WA the higher OATs had us climbing slow across ID and into MT. After our stop in W MT for fuel we ended up making a tense low-level run as my oil temp hit 245 and my CHTs hovered around 415-420 despite running at only 26-27” MAP. Engine was running smoothly but the heat also meant more oil seeping out the valve covers and pushrod tubes and other places….

Honestly, I am really damn frustrated at this AeroVee Turbo! I have built 800HP race car engines - I am not a bad or careless builder; but this thing has me flummoxed. Nothing seems to make it cool right (except Cyl #2 happily runs 340-380 all day long while the rest of the cylinders are 50 degrees hotter. You do the math on 380+50 and see what that means for the other cyls).

Current plan is to get up at 6am and try to fly when the OAT is low. If we can cruise-climb up to 7k MSL we can limp over the mtns and get to the plains states. If we can’t climb, I have to scrub the trip.

If we DO make it to OSH, I will offer cash money to whomever can help me make this dang engine run cool. I may have to bum a hangar at the end of the show and tear down the engine anyways, to make sure I haven’t badly warped the heads with the temps I’m seeing.

Still hoping to see you all, but being realistic,

—Noel
NWade

Postby Bryan Cotton » Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:07 am

Bummer Noel. I just got my oil cooling issues worked out last week. That is nearly one year and 120 hours. I had a hard time climbing to altitude when I did my service ceiling test due to temps, and that was in November! But it was still a pretty new engine.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Bryan Cotton

Postby NWade » Fri Jul 21, 2023 4:35 pm

I hope they are OK for you now!

We had the oil overful and that definitely made the oil temp issues worse.

Took off at 6:45am today and had a much better run in the cool dawn air. Currently in Sheridan WY, but it’s hot now so we’re going to launch and try for Rapid City, SD… Wish us luck! If we make it, we’re aiming for Madison SD for the night.

Be safe,

—Noel
NWade

Postby NWade » Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:50 pm

Update, for the curious: Tstorms between Rapid City and Madison SD slowed us down, but we made it to Pierre, SD for the night.

Engine is smooth but still somewhat hot.

—Noel
NWade

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:54 am

I'm following, see you made KPQN just now. I'm also following my son on flight aware as he is doing his dual XC this morning.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Bryan Cotton

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sat Jul 22, 2023 5:37 pm

Congrats Noel! That is quite the accomplishment!
Screenshot_20230722-163524.png
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Bryan Cotton

PreviousNext

Return to Fly-Ins