2019 Midwest Sonex Fly-In

Announce and discuss upcoming fly-ins

Postby Klimek » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:32 pm

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Well Sonex owners, builders and soon to be Sonex flyers and wannabees.....Back by popular request the 2019 Midwest Sonex Fly-In is once again hosted at KFYV, Drake Field in Fayetteville, Ar. by Rick "NWA Wingman" Wantz, Sonex 367SX, and myself, Frank "Call the tower" Klimek, Onex 1970T.
We are based in Fayetteville, Arkansas at Drake Field located in the beautiful Ozark Mountains in northwest Arkansas.
The date is Saturday June 1, 2019 starting at 8:00 a.m. and finishing when the last plane departs.
We have our EAA chapter 732 meeting room available located in a WWll era hangar which also houses the Arkansas Air Museum. Next door is the
Military Museum and we are working on a discount for those that want to tour both displays.
Again this year we will be having self assembled tacos along with the usual stuff that goes with it including chips, salsa, cheese and the like along with cold drinks.
If anyone attending would like to speak about safety, flying or building, it would be welcomed and greatly appreciated. (Jeff?) Enjoy the company of so many other like-minded people comparing notes, ideas and trading stories.
All owners, builders, plans holders, wannabees and ALL pilots and planes of any descriptions are welcome to attend.
Hopefully we draw the usual crowd along with other Sonex owners from Oklahoma, Texas ans Mississippi, Missouri and Kansas (Jeff again?)
There will be additional information following as time goes on also a rain check date will be set later on, just in case.
As time passes there will more information posted here and as in the past we hope to collect more fantastic door prizes for attendees.
Follow this link to see the flyer for this years event. https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... TOIXJSrDq9
Hope to see you there.

Frank B. Klimek
ONEX090
AeroVee 2180
Steam gauges
Tail dragger
1970T

Klimek

Re: 2019 Midwest Sonex Fly-In

Postby sonex1374 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:28 pm

Frank,

Big thanks go out to you and Rick for tackling this fly-in. You guys did a wonderful job last year, and I'm sure it will be even better this year!

For anyone in the area (from TX, OK, AR, KS, MO, and others), you really should consider coming to the event. Drake Field is a great host, easy to get into, and has nice facilities. Everything you'd want!

I'll definitely be there (arriving Friday evening), and will present whatever subject(s) Frank-Call-The-Tower wants. We'll probably record a podcast segment while there, so join us for that as well.

Jeff
Jeff Shultz
Sonex TD, 3300, AeroInjector
Kansas City, MO
http://www.sonex604.com
sonex1374

Postby tx_swordguy » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:04 pm

It was a great time last year and I met a new flying buddy that ended up living only 4 miles from me lol. I am planning to fly in again from tx this year hope more will come.\
Mark Whiddon
Mark Whiddon
T25 Aero Estates
Sonex N889AP
jabiru 3300 solid lifter
tx_swordguy

Postby Stogie6 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:07 pm

If my Onex is out of phase one by then, I will fly up. Other than that, I will be there.
David F. Jones
Memphis (Mud Island), TN
Aerovee powered Onex
N153TD
Based at KAWM and in the midst of Phase 1
Stogie6

Postby fastj22 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:15 pm

Since my conversion will probably not be done for this, I will be working to see if we can get a NanChang or The Phoenix Zenith down there for it. Gary/Carl, are you listening?

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby rkurian » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:22 am

Iffy weather kept me from going last year, but planning on it this year. Life Jeff, I'll probably fly down on Friday.
Ray Kurian
Sonex 612 (N115DM)
Plans Built
Trigear, Aerovee, Dual stick.
First flight 4/11/2015
rkurian

Postby caveman370 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:50 am

I’ll hitch a ride too with Mr Carl or Gary :). Please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
caveman370

Postby Flynic3 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:36 pm

Good Evening,

I am looking forward to attending this event and am excited to meet fellow Sonex builders. Thank you for putting on this event again this year! I am working on talking a local Sonex builder here in Saint Louis to bring his AeroVee powered Sonex to the fly in...

Cheers!

Nic
Flynic3

Postby rdsafe » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:27 pm

I think that there's a few people up north who have contacted cabin fever- cause it's still cold down here in Florida for this kind of fun.

Richard
rdsafe

Postby Klimek » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:50 pm

Well guys, the 2019 Midwest Sonex Fly-In is, as you know, on for Saturday June 1, 2019 at Drake Field in beautiful Fayetteville, Ar. We are nestled in the Ozark mountains in the northwest corner of the state.
We have sent out 21 request for door prizes and heard back from one just this afternoon by phone. Lonnie Prince called me to let me know that he is sending us another
certificate redeemable for a Prince elliptical propeller!! The certificate is good for a standard prop but can be upgraded to a carbon leading edge and/or a P-Tip prop.
Lonnie did this for us last year and told me that because the Sonex group is a great bunch of guys and he enjoys working with each of you he is more than happy to donate for such a good cause. If any of us get a chance to promote him as a person and his company, by all means please do it. If we get the same response from the other suppliers as last year we should have another bunch of great door prizes to give away. Also there is the possibility of a Sub Sonex from Oklahoma showing up. Wouldn't that be a hoot! It might just be the first time a Sub Sonex has been to a fly in, but don't quote me on that.
Three months away and counting. Hope to see y'all there!

Frank B. "Call The Tower" Klimek, ONEX
Rick "NWA Wingman" Wantz, SONEX
Klimek

Next

Return to Fly-Ins