AirVenture 2017

Announce and discuss upcoming fly-ins

Re: AirVenture 2017

Postby WaiexN143NM » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:29 pm

Hi all,
Was a good airventure! Had a good turn out for the wed nite bbq and airshow at 7th heaven! Thanks to Wayne & Kathy for hosting. Saw alot of familiar folks. Thanks tom jones for collecting the $5 donation and getting out the name tags.
I stayed at an air b&b house with max,peter, phil the first 5 days, then 4 days at the uwo dorms. Was impressed. Very modern, clean, dining hall for bfast and dinner. Beer tent out front at kelleys bar. Buses running 6am-midnite every half hour. $20 weekly bus pass or $3 one trip. Got reservations in for next year. Had a non a/c room but lucked out at nite was cool. Got a window fan worked well. Next yr will have a/c room.
Good to see some new sonex customer aircraft on the flightline. Someday will get ours up from tucson.
Sounds like 'camp sonex ' was a blast.
Added: just read the sunday july 30 edition of airventure today. The free daily paper during eaa. Good article on page 24. Onex builders mark edwards,loren sievila, todd reifers. Camit 2200's. Would be great to see sonex offer mounts for the onex including the jab2200, UL, rotax 912.
WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby lgsievila » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:31 pm

Hi Michael,
Sorry I didn't get around to meeting up with you-it was kind of hard to get away from our planes as a lot of people were asking a lot of questions. I agree a Jab 2200 would be a great fit for the Onex now that CAMit has closed its doors. Don't know enough about UL's or Rotax to comment but I am sure they would work. A couple of people have Jab 3300 on their Onex's and that would be a real rocket. At sea level where I live the AeroVee performed OK but I would not have tried to go over the mountain passes with the hot weather and smoke I encountered on my way to KOSH and back. I agree it would be a good idea for Sonex to offer some different engine options for the Onex especially for people who fly out of higher elevations. The Onex is a great airframe and a lot of fun to fly. With all the stops I made to visit friends and family along the route I flew over 3,500 miles without a hiccup with my highest density altitude being 12,554 ft. I do have a Hacman mixture control which allowed leaning out the Bing carb at high altitudes and used a little less than 4 gph for the entire trip. It was a long haul from the West Coast to KOSH but it was an adventure.
Loren Sievila
Conventional Gear Onex33
CAMit 2200
Dynon Skyview
lgsievila

Postby WaiexN143NM » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:00 pm

Hi all, loren,
I saw your plane on the flightline and looked it over good! Your onex was with a couple others.
Missed the mon nite sonex hangar get together, always a good time to catch up with other builder/flyers. Maybe next yr they can host again.
The wed bbq fun, more people than time to chat though.
Hope everyone got home safe.
Dont know if anyone noticed ,but in the homebuilders hangar they clecoed a onex fuselage , and tail feathers together during the week.

WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Previous

Return to Fly-Ins