OSH 16

Announce and discuss upcoming fly-ins

Re: OSH 16

Postby vwglenn » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:26 pm

WaiexN143NM wrote:Hi glenn,
Glad u got rosie home. Did u stop by jab usa, or order and install a new regulator too ? How did the regulator look? And whats the trick to removing the stator on an engine thats on an airframe?
WaiexN143NM
Michael

I did stop by JabUSA on the way up. There was a lady in the warehouse who said I was the first person she ever saw who stopped in to buy a part. I got a new regulator from them which is for a Kubota tractor. It was still in the Kubota wrapper with the Japanese part number on it in spite of Jabiru calling out a specific Jab part number in all the manuals. Paid twice as much as I would've from a Kubota dealer but I had the thing in my hands and considered myself lucky. The old regulator looked fine but I replaced it anyway thinking that some of my symptoms could be regulator related.

The hardest part about pulling the stator was the top bolt holding the mount in place. I you look at the above picture, you can see a plug wire in the background. It's there because I had to pull the right ignition module off with the mount, pull the bolt 1/4 way out, and rotate the whole thing towards the copilot side to get the bolt to clear the firewall under the fuel fill. It was the only way I could see to get the thing out without removing the engine. When I reinstalled it, I simply put the nut on the firewall side and slid that bolt in through the front. Aside from disconnection the mag wires, the rest remained intact.

The initial test was scary. I was showing 16.8 volts when I put the power to it. Turns out the EFIS got screwed up and was reading high but the voltage was correct as measured. The EFIS was adjusted and it behaved as it should. Then I made the mad weather dash home. Needed those lights as I touched down back in Griffin just about dusk.
Last edited by vwglenn on Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glenn
Sonex #600
N889AP
vwglenn

Postby Sonex1517 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:51 pm

I'm gonna go out on a limb here, Glenn, and say you had more than your fair share of adventures this trip!

Glad you got home safe and sound.
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
325+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Postby vwglenn » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:03 pm

Yea. Adventures make for good memories. And good memories are what it's all about.
Glenn
Sonex #600
N889AP
vwglenn

Postby fastj22 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:27 am

I downloaded the specs for the Camit alternators and it looks like the RH forward facing mount on either the 40A or the 15A will fit in a sonex. The LH rear facing one will interfere with the motor mount. May need to put this on my Santa list.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby WaiexN143NM » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:13 am

Hi john,
Good to see u at oshkosh. I talked to jack at the camit booth. He said ian didnt make it this year wasnt looking forward to the 20 hour plane flt from oz. he said the alt installs would fit the legacy sonex mounts. Thanks also for telling me about the navworks drawing. I went that day and entered the slips. At the lifetime dinner in the eagle hangar my fathers phone rang, and presto! We won the navworks exp adsb box ! I owe u a beer!
WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby Oshpilot » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:28 am

Glen, does the regulator have the fast-on connectors? I replaced the fast-ons a couple years ago with ring connectors and a terminal block, after seeing some evidence of arcing...no issues since!
Wayne, Oshkosh, Sonex N444SX, Conventional gear, Jab 3300, Enigma
Oshpilot

Postby vwglenn » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:31 am

If you mean standard male/female push connectors...yes it did Wayne. I saw no evidence of arching but they were all individually heat shrinked. I reinstalled the same way with push connectors each covered with heat shrink and ziptied both ends of the regulator bundle so no individual connector will pull out. You'd have to put a whole lot of force on that bundle of wires to get any of them to come lose. I talked to a Jabiru guy who told me specifically not to use the quick connector or the terminals that come attached to the Kubota regulator.

Terminal block seems like a good idea though.

Note: It's Friday and JabUSA still hasn't returned the call I made Monday about wanting to purchase a stator. Glad Sonex is around or my plane would still be in IL.
Glenn
Sonex #600
N889AP
vwglenn

Postby fastj22 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:56 am

vwglenn wrote:
Note: It's Friday and JabUSA still hasn't returned the call I made Monday about wanting to purchase a stator. Glad Sonex is around or my plane would still be in IL.

I called yesterday to get replacement intake gaskets and they answered and shipped right away. I bet your message got lost, I have had that happen a lot. And emails, forget it. Gotta call and get a human.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby vwglenn » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:33 pm

fastj22 wrote:I called yesterday to get replacement intake gaskets and they answered and shipped right away. I bet your message got lost, I have had that happen a lot. And emails, forget it. Gotta call and get a human.

Yep their record is still perfect. Not once have they ever returned a call in the two years I've been dealing with them. It's been my experience as well. No human = no service.
Glenn
Sonex #600
N889AP
vwglenn

Postby WaiexN143NM » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:06 pm

Hi all,
Finally got a moment to recap osh 16 . Fun highlights include sunday sonex homecoming, mon sonex hangar party, tue lifetime dinner in eagle hangar guest speaker col chris strickland from beale afb, wed sonex bbq at wayne and kathy daniels 7th heaven, thur homebuilders dinner in the nature center pavilion dick vangrunsven guest speaker, fri hanging at the charcol pit with the sonex crew and karaoke on the back patio, sat a tour at the seaplane base and a boat tour by the martin mars seaplane followed by the watermelon social /bbq. Great to meet all the people staying at wayne and kathy's , and at the bbq. Sun sat show center and watched all the departures. Left the grounds around 5pm, very erie like a deserted town.
Hope all of you can make it next year. Its the greatest week of the year.
WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

PreviousNext

Return to Fly-Ins