Sonex Group Arrival at Airventure 2016?

Announce and discuss upcoming fly-ins

Sonex Group Arrival at Airventure 2016?

Postby Sonex1517 » Tue May 31, 2016 11:15 am

mike.smith wrote:
MichaelFarley56 wrote:I've stopped at Watertown, WI every year I've flown my Waiex to AirVenture. Great place but is normally used as a staging area for Sunday mass arrivals so it can be busy at times. Last year it was used as a 'Short Wing Piper Club' staging airport.

I believe others are planning on Rochelle, IL (KRPJ) as another informal meeting place to follow each other towards RIPON.

I'm not sure what everyone else is planning but I personally try to leave central Ohio at the crack of dawn Saturday morning to take advantage of smooth morning air and beat the mass arrivals. If the weather cooperates, we hit that last fuel stop around 10:00 am and are sitting at KOSH before noon.

Let's all say prayers for a good weather arrival weekend!

It looks like the Cherokees mass arrival is set for 11am Sunday, the Cessna Mass Arrival for 2:30, and the Bonanzas just give the 23rd as the date, but no time listed. So leaving RYV on Saturday the 23rd by 9am would be the best way to beat the mass arrivals. But that's pretty early depending on where you're coming from that morning. But similar timing for Sunday morning if we're trying to make the 10am Sonex homecoming. Mid-day Saturday is an option.

I have no agenda to push, but doing this from from Rochelle, IL may make sense. KRPJ.

A few of us are meeting there to hang out and launch to Oshkosh for the open house.

In my experience Watertown gets very busy with tight ramp space. Your mileage may vary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
325+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Re: Sonex Group Arrival at Airventure 2016?

Postby mike.smith » Tue May 31, 2016 7:10 pm

(Selfishly) I'll already be in WI (the previous week), so for me I'd have to fly back to IL in order to fly north to OSH. I left for OSH from RYV on the Saturday morning before OSH last year and there were only a half dozen planes there. The reason for RYV was in no small part because it's close to OSH, so less chance of weather issues. This may just be an idea that doesn't have enough legs to it. Which is OK.
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby vwglenn » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:50 am

Weather permitting, I'll be headed to OSH on Saturday. Should be able to make RYV or RPJ by early afternoon. Think it would be fun to get a decent sized train of Sonex aircraft in line. I'd prefer a meeting spot somewhere north of ORD class B. I like to get to RIPON area with as much fuel in the tank as possible.
Glenn
Sonex #600
N889AP
vwglenn

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:02 pm

vwglenn wrote: I like to get to RIPON area with as much fuel in the tank as possible.

Excellent idea Glenn! I couldn't agree more. For me personally, I always want to hit RIPON with, at a minimum, 1 hour of fuel just in case something unexpected is happening.
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby fastj22 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:17 pm

MichaelFarley56 wrote:
vwglenn wrote: I like to get to RIPON area with as much fuel in the tank as possible.

Excellent idea Glenn! I couldn't agree more. For me personally, I always want to hit RIPON with, at a minimum, 1 hour of fuel just in case something unexpected is happening.

The other benefit of coming in with full tanks is if you don't get put in a hold, you land with enough gas to leave without refueling at the show.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby vwglenn » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:03 am

MichaelFarley56 wrote:

That's exactly my minimum. I haven't had to do it yet but I want to be able to orbit/hold for a bit without freaking out about my fuel situation. My old 170 held 3 1/2 hours a fuel and I still stopped every year in places like Dodge County (KUNU) to top off before making the final push. Plus a good leg stretch always helps me get my head on straight before running the gauntlet.

I've also made it a habit of stopping in KVPZ every year too. I've found its a great place to do a final weather assessment before heading in. They have a local EAA chapter who grills out and the airport has a fleet of crew cars for pilot use. I've stayed there once or twice in the past when the weather was closing in on OSH.

I usually top off my tanks at the show. When I depart, I like to put as much distance as I can from the zoo as possible before I have to stop.
Glenn
Sonex #600
N889AP
vwglenn

Postby n982sx » Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:15 am

MichaelFarley56 wrote:Excellent idea Glenn! I couldn't agree more. For me personally, I always want to hit RIPON with, at a minimum, 1 hour of fuel just in case something unexpected is happening.

And don't think it can't happen. Both last year and the year before, I had to hold because of accidents that closed the field. The first year, I held for an hour around Rush lake, AFTER passing Ripon. Eventually diverted to Fond du Lac.

Last year they closed arrivals just before I got to Ripon. Flew to Dodge County, much better than Fond du Lac, and waited on the ground. When they opened the field for departures, I flew to Ripon and entered the Green Lake hold. It was once around and then they opened for arrivals.
Bob Meyers

Built and Flying Sonex N982SX http://n982sx.com
Built and Flying RV-14 N626KM http://n626km.com
n982sx

Postby mike.smith » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:18 pm

I vacation at a family lake house south of OSH, so I'll be around the week before OSH, and parked at RYV Watertown, WI. If anyone is interested in flying in together on Saturday (weather permitting) email me that week before, at mike.smith208@yahoo.com
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
mike.smith

Postby vwglenn » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:43 pm

mike.smith wrote:I vacation at a family lake house south of OSH, so I'll be around the week before OSH, and parked at RYV Watertown, WI. If anyone is interested in flying in together on Saturday (weather permitting) email me that week before, at mike.smith208@yahoo.com

I'm in. Should be there around 1pm if all goes well. Hopefully we wont have to go around twice when we get there. :D Just watched your OSH arrival vid last night.
Glenn
Sonex #600
N889AP
vwglenn

Postby mike.smith » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:29 pm

vwglenn wrote:
mike.smith wrote:I vacation at a family lake house south of OSH, so I'll be around the week before OSH, and parked at RYV Watertown, WI. If anyone is interested in flying in together on Saturday (weather permitting) email me that week before, at mike.smith208@yahoo.com

I'm in. Should be there around 1pm if all goes well. Hopefully we wont have to go around twice when we get there. :D Just watched your OSH arrival vid last night.

Email me with our contact info at the yahoo address above.
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
mike.smith

PreviousNext

Return to Fly-Ins