Sonex Group Arrival at Airventure 2016?

Announce and discuss upcoming fly-ins

Re: Sonex Group Arrival at Airventure 2016?

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:47 pm

In 2013 I was about 5 planes behind Jim Hicke and I heard them say "Silver mini Bonanza, rock your wings!" Thought it was cool.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby aferddaberts » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:01 pm

Noel,

This is a P.S. To the information just sent regarding how to keep your fuselage square. My work table is free standing, so I can work around it. If your work bench butts up against the wall, it will be difficult to clamp the L angles to it on the wall side.

AL Roberts
aferddaberts

Postby fastj22 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:14 pm

Bryan Cotton wrote:In 2013 I was about 5 planes behind Jim Hicke and I heard them say "Silver mini Bonanza, rock your wings!" Thought it was cool.

That's funny. In 2014, I was at Jims 6 and they called two RVs, even though we were both v tailed Devils.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby radfordc » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:17 am

Several years ago we did an arrival as a "flight of 3". This was during the time the field was flooded and normal arrivals were canceled. We were allowed in because we were parking at the Sonex hangar.
radfordc

Postby jerryhain » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:55 am

radfordc wrote:Several years ago we did an arrival as a "flight of 3". This was during the time the field was flooded and normal arrivals were canceled. We were allowed in because we were parking at the Sonex hangar.

This was 2010, the only time I have been there.
Jerry Hain, Tucson AZ
Waiex Electric?
CFI Glider/Airplane/Helicopter A&P
jerryhain

Postby vwglenn » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:04 pm

Sounds like fun. I'm in. About the only thing that will keep me from OSH this year is a mechanical issue.
Glenn
Sonex #600
N889AP
vwglenn

Postby mike.smith » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:01 pm

vwglenn wrote:Sounds like fun. I'm in. About the only thing that will keep me from OSH this year is a mechanical issue.

QUICK, knock on something wood!!! ;-)
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby mike.smith » Sun May 29, 2016 12:30 am

As we are now less than two months away from Airventure 2016 I'm reviving this topic. There is no "plan" yet, but the intention is to meet at the Watertown, WI airport (RYV), assemble, and leave for Airventure. Just a single file arrival; no formations or anything like that.
http://www.airnav.com/airport/KRYV
From RYV to OSH is only about an hour of tach time from startup to landing. It has lots of ramp space and intersecting runways, and is in a populated area with restaurants and hotels.

The two big questions: 1) who's in? and 2) what day/time?

For question 2, options include:
Saturday, July 23 (morning)
Saturday, July 23 (mid-day)
Saturday, July 23, (late afternoon)
Sunday, July 24 (early morning, to make the 10am Sonex homecoming)

Of course any day/time will be weather dependent. The advantage to Sunday morning is we all show up and get to taxi straight to the homecoming. Planning for Saturday allows more days/times to work around weather issues. Though Sunday could still be planned for, with Saturday as a back up if the timetable needs to be moved up.

Thoughts?
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
mike.smith

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Sun May 29, 2016 10:31 am

I've stopped at Watertown, WI every year I've flown my Waiex to AirVenture. Great place but is normally used as a staging area for Sunday mass arrivals so it can be busy at times. Last year it was used as a 'Short Wing Piper Club' staging airport.

I believe others are planning on Rochelle, IL (KRPJ) as another informal meeting place to follow each other towards RIPON.

I'm not sure what everyone else is planning but I personally try to leave central Ohio at the crack of dawn Saturday morning to take advantage of smooth morning air and beat the mass arrivals. If the weather cooperates, we hit that last fuel stop around 10:00 am and are sitting at KOSH before noon.

Let's all say prayers for a good weather arrival weekend!
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby mike.smith » Mon May 30, 2016 9:54 pm

MichaelFarley56 wrote:I've stopped at Watertown, WI every year I've flown my Waiex to AirVenture. Great place but is normally used as a staging area for Sunday mass arrivals so it can be busy at times. Last year it was used as a 'Short Wing Piper Club' staging airport.

I believe others are planning on Rochelle, IL (KRPJ) as another informal meeting place to follow each other towards RIPON.

I'm not sure what everyone else is planning but I personally try to leave central Ohio at the crack of dawn Saturday morning to take advantage of smooth morning air and beat the mass arrivals. If the weather cooperates, we hit that last fuel stop around 10:00 am and are sitting at KOSH before noon.

Let's all say prayers for a good weather arrival weekend!

It looks like the Cherokees mass arrival is set for 11am Sunday, the Cessna Mass Arrival for 2:30, and the Bonanzas just give the 23rd as the date, but no time listed. So leaving RYV on Saturday the 23rd by 9am would be the best way to beat the mass arrivals. But that's pretty early depending on where you're coming from that morning. But similar timing for Sunday morning if we're trying to make the 10am Sonex homecoming. Mid-day Saturday is an option.
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
mike.smith

PreviousNext

Return to Fly-Ins