2015 North Carolina Sonex Spring Fling

Announce and discuss upcoming fly-ins

Postby sonex293 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:16 pm

We have settled on a date for the Fifth Annual NC Sonex Spring Fly-in. On Saturday May 2, 2015 we are planning to return to Asheboro Airport (KHBI) this year. We thought that a change in Venue would be a good idea and give people an opportunity to see another great airport in North Carolina.

We would like to extend an invitation to you all to come and join us for a great day NC on Saturday May 2, 2015. Please mark your calendars and go to the registration page to register so that we can get an indication for food, drinks and parking.

Register on the ASA events page at

http://www.americansonexassociation.org/index.html

If any of you out there would like to add to the content of the day please send me a note to "shaypete at gmail.com" and I will be glad to add you to the agenda. After all these events are intended to share ideas and information.

Thanks from
Pete Van Schalkwyk (Smith) Michael Crowder and "Winding" Wayne Andrews
--
Michael
sonex293

Re: 2015 North Carolina Sonex Spring Fling

Postby gammaxy » Tue May 05, 2015 9:15 pm

How was the fly-in? I hoped to take my Sonex to its first fly-in, but a work trip interfered.
Chris Madsen
Aerovee Sonex N256CM
Flying since September 2014
Build log: http://chrismadsen.org
gammaxy

Postby sonex293 » Wed May 06, 2015 6:57 pm

We held our annual Spring fly in this year at Asheboro, NC - KHBI. 

The theme this year was to be very informal, encouraging people to mingle on the ramp and speak to the builders, rather than presentations and prize givings. We thought we would give the sponsors a break this time around :) (I would be interested to know if you enjoyed this format over the presentation format.)

Its hard to believe that this was our 5th "Annual" event.  The turnout was great with a record of 12 Sonex type aircraft arriving during the course of the morning. Not only were there 12 Sonex but we had about 7 other pilots fly in to the event with Kitfox, Vans RV's, euro foxe, piper cub and Zenith 601?

We estimate that we had around 50 to 60 people show up, from registered folks to folks driving past and stopping in to see what was going on.

This year the "prize" for the furthest flight got to:

Dave and Evelyn Amsler - Flew in from Buffalo NY - Stayed overnight and returned to NY the next day.Paul Gerhardt - from MD, made the trip both ways in one day. Wow!!!

Dale William's made the trip up in his new taildragger "cleanex" and Rick Basco had a Onex that he flew in on display.

We gave a total of 4 rides this year, with Wayne Andrews and Pete van Schalkwyk AKA "Smith"  both taking up two passengers. 

The ASA website needs to be updated and I will do this once I have all the pictures in, but for now you can look at the pictures I took. Feel free to download them if you like.

https://plus.google.com/photos/+PeterSchalkwyk/albums/6144624250762155505?banner=pwa

The team that organise this event would like to personally thank each and everyone of you for making this day a success. We could not do this without your support.

Thank you.

Peter
--
Michael
sonex293

Return to Fly-Ins