When to rivet the fwd fuselage floor?

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

When to rivet the fwd fuselage floor?

Postby Rynoth » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:42 am

I'm currently on plans page WIX-F11 (fuselage box assembly), I'm not sure what the equivalent Sonex page is, but it's where the fuselage side panels and floor are first attached, and riveted, to the aft fuselage.

If I follow the plans exactly, upon completion of this page I'll have the fwd fuselage floor riveted in place, and the fwd and aft fuselages riveted together at the sides. I'd really prefer to do neither of these things at this time. Any comments/concerns for leaving the floor either clecoed and/or off while moving forward up the building tree? Obviously there are many more details on the floor of the fwd fuselage (rear spar carry through, seat belt attach points, seat, etc), but will clecoes in the floor suffice until most everything is done?
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Re: When to rivet the fwd fuselage floor?

Postby fastj22 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:04 am

I would leave it off or clecoed until right before your inspection.
The install of the tank, rigging the wings and any wiring would have been so much easier without having to hang upside down over the spar tunnel.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:56 pm

I'll second that. Leave it cleco'd in place until you need it riveted on. When I was building, I left my aft tailcone bottom skin off until I was literally ready for the inspection. I got a lot of laughs by taxiing my airplane around with cleco's sticking out the bottom! It made life a lot easier though. The front bottom skin was riveted on, but if I had to do it over, I would seriously consider leaving it off until the fuel tank and wiring is done.

The more access you have, the better!
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby sonex892 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:34 pm

fastj22 wrote:I would leave it off or clecoed until right before your inspection.
The install of the tank, rigging the wings and any wiring would have been so much easier without having to hang upside down over the spar tunnel.

My floor was ready to rivet but left off until the day before the final inspection for all the above reasons. Just re cleco it in place when needed.
Would also suggest not riveting the control brackets that fix to the rear section of floor till after wing rigging, and not rivetting the floor forward centre support tube until wiring, plumbing and rudder pedal etc are completed.

Steve
Sonex 892
sonex892

Postby Gibbsfamily1 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:52 pm

I put the forward floor in per plans but I left the rear floor off until last. Helps with wing rigging and other things.
Gibbsfamily1

Return to General Discussion