How long to remove/install wings?

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Postby Gunther » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:59 pm

Hello to all. How long does it normally take you (and a helper) to remove your Sonex wings? How long does it normally take you to install them? If I build a Sonex I would like to take it home from the local airport once or twice per year for maintenance. I am thinking about buying an enclosed trailer for bringing the kit home from the factory, then using the same trailer for hauling/storing the completed aircraft as required. Does anyone else presently use an enclosed trailer? Any suggested sizes? Any potential problems to watch out for?

Thank you,
Gunther
Gunther

Re: How long to remove/install wings?

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:12 am

Hi Gunther,

I haven't removed the wings on my Waiex in a while, but having done the job before, I'd guess that you're looking at around 30 minutes for you and a helper to either install or remove the wings. It's a fairly simple job overall, but the "challenges" I've ran into are disconnecting any lights or pitot/static tube lines, and disconnecting the flap pushrods from the flap torque tube. A lot of people modify the forward root rib by taking the two lightning holes in the rib and making them one big hole; if you're going to be removing the wings on a regular basis, I'd recommend doing the same. This will make life a lot easier by giving you more room to work.

Other than that, you disconnect the aileron pushrods at the stick, pull the aft spar bolts, main spar bolts, and the wing slides right out. Putting everything back together is simply reverse order. Don't forget to remove the pitot tube unless you're going to be really careful and not bend it up!

Good question on the trailer. With the length of the fuselage at just over 18', I'd venture a guess and say a 20' trailer should work just fine. If you live close to home, it may be wise to make two trips; one for the fuselage, and one for the wings. The tail tips are 96" so you'll need a trailer wider than that, or you may want to consider adding nutplates and screws to hold down your horizontal stab fiberglass tail tips, just to make them easy to remove. If you take those off, that will buy you a few inches per side of extra room.

Hopefully this helps a little!
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby Rynoth » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:37 am

Gunther, great questions, I have put a lot of thought into both of them. When I initially purchased my Waiex kit, my thought was that I would essentially hangar it in an enclosed trailer. It's still a possibility that I will do so, but the chances are slimming down... now that I've built the wings, I see what a chore it would be to remove/attach them regularly... they are big!

Anyways, I specifically chose the Waiex (partially) because the width of the tail will fit in an enclosed trailier. Trailers are limited by regulation to 8.5ft exterior width, which results in a typical maximum door opening width of about 92". A Sonex with tail tips won't fit, and a Sonex with tail tips removed MIGHT fit. The Waiex does fit, with tips.

For trailer length, an 18" V-nose trailer MIGHT be long enough (the V nose usually adds a foot or 2 in the center.) 20" would definitely be long enough. I figure I would install a small battery powered winch to help with loading/unloading, but I'm not sure whether there would be room for the wings at the same time, yet. Would probably build slings for each wing on either side of the fuselage. Trailers this size usually have a 7000lb max gross weight and weigh about 3000-3500 lbs, so you need a hefty vehicle to tow them. I was quoted about $5000 for a brand new 18" v-nose trailer.

I've never seen pictures or mention of any Sonex being in a trailer (although they're apparently selling the new subSonex pre-orders with an enclosed trailer included), so we might be breaking new ground if we go this direction. I'm still seriously considering an enclosed trailer, but need to finish my build first!
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Postby fastj22 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:20 am

If you are only hauling twice a year for maintenance, why not just go with a flat bed utility trailer and leave the wings at the airport?

Installing and removing the wings is a two person job. Doable, but not something you would want to do every time you wanted to fly.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby 39cubcoupe » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:31 pm

Most enclosed trailer door width's will not be 96". You will most likely have to have a custom one made or do it yourself. So that is something to think about. An open trailer might be easier if you have a place to put plane inside at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
39cubcoupe

Postby sonex892 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:08 pm

I've only done it a couple of times since completing it. I think to remove, less than an hour. To install about 2hrs.

Its not something I would want to do on a regular basis.

Steve
Sonex 892
sonex892

Postby radfordc » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:48 pm

If removing the wings is something you intend to do on a regular basis then a Sonex may not be the plane for you.
radfordc

Postby Gibbsfamily1 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:10 pm

30 minutes off and 2 hours on is about right. It could be shorter with practice.
Gibbsfamily1

Postby Jeffrylite » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:14 pm

Long ago a sage poster offered this on taking the wings on/off. "It's no more difficult than changing the clutch on your truck". I personally liked the analogy, but that being said, I have had the wings off/on a Sonex 5 times. The first time took a couple of hours. By the time I got to the last time, it was under 30 minutes with two people. It is neither difficult nor hard, but climbing in the cockpit upside down and reaching inside the wing lighting holes (recommend the larger ones mentioned earlier) to detach/reattach the flap rods is a genuine pain in the donkey. Yes, changing the clutch in your truck will take you a lot longer, but the skinned knuckles, knees and the kink in your neck will have you talking the same way. %*(#@!*&$

Jeffry - Jab 3300 TD
Jeffrylite

Postby mike.smith » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:44 pm

Gunther wrote:Hello to all. How long does it normally take you (and a helper) to INSTALL your Sonex wings?

Thank you,
Gunther

I'll let you know after tomorrow!!

Mike Smith
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Next

Return to General Discussion