Yahoo eGroups moving to SonexBuilders.net Discussion

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Yahoo eGroups moving to SonexBuilders.net Discussion

Postby Rynoth » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:05 pm

I'm sure this announcement comes as a disappointment to many that have been using and are used to the Yahoo format. I for one, while not glad for the misfortune of others, am glad that this may lead to an increase in discussion on this forum, which for me is FAR more easily accessible, readable, more organized and just a better format overall than the old Yahoo format.

Welcome to all migrating to this new forum.
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Re: Sonex Yahoo eGroups moving to Sonex Foundation [Sonexbui

Postby Bryan Cotton » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:25 pm

I had already voted with my feet against yahoo groups. Hope the rest of the valued community makes the transition.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Fastcapy » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:53 pm

-----
Last edited by Fastcapy on Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Beck
Oshkosh, WI (KOSH)
Sonex #1145 N920MB
Std Gear, Modified Aerovee, Rotec TBI, Dual Stick, Acro Ailerons
MGL Panel
Airworthiness: 10/24/13, First Flight: 05/18/14
Fastcapy

Postby Mike53 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:54 pm

Great news.
My only concern are the Photos at Onexplans.Will they be migrated to over here?It would be great if they could be kept intact and even better if the individual files could be added to by there initiators.
For me it would be the only thing I would dearly miss from the Yahoo site.
If not how can they be saved otherwise,i.e. how do you download them into a file on your computer :?
Thanks.
Mike
Mike
I know but one freedom, and that is the freedom of the mind.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Reserved C-FONX for the 80th Onex,Hummel 85HP ,Tri gear,GRT Mini X EFIS,and EMS,iFly 740 GPS
Mike53

Postby n982sx » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:05 pm

While the change isn't unexpected, I have never had a problem with the Yahoo groups. I do my own searching from my own email archives and can always find things (back to 2006 for the Sonex groups).

I registered with this site when it first opened but I have rarely used it and I suspect I might not in the future.

For example, I am now building an RV-14 and while I find the Van's Airforce site to be very well done, I hardly ever go there. I find subscribing to threads tedious and then getting sent an email letting me know there is a post - instead of just sending me the post - silly. In fact the notification email is usually far longer than the post! Very inefficient.

That happens to be exactly how this site works with topics. I'm just not interested.
Last edited by n982sx on Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Meyers

Built and Flying Sonex N982SX http://n982sx.com
Built and Flying RV-14 N626KM http://n626km.com
n982sx

Re: Yahoo eGroups moving to SonexBuilders.net Discussion

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:36 pm

I'm sorry you feel that way Bob. I know have always really appreciated your Sonex build website and have used it a great deal back when I was building my airplane.

Hopefully, you'll be able to 'stop in' these forums once in a while and say hi! In the meantime, I hope your Sonex is flying well and the -14 build is going well for you. Please stay in touch!
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby bkwatkins » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:39 pm

I am not a fan of yahoo groups and in fact today found it impossible to access some information in the sonextalk group page. However, I will miss the daily posts of the various folks, which have included some very useful information and back and forth over the years even though it was necessary to discard a lot of chaff.
bkwatkins

Postby Sonex1517 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:44 pm

I am attempting to download all the photos from Yahoo, in hopes of finding a way to save them on the foundation website.

No guarantees folks, but I am trying.

If anyone has a suggestion on how to grab the message archives let me know - Yahoo had no FAQ answer to this.

Robbie
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
325+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Postby vigilant104 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:45 pm

Robbie,
I replied to the Sonex LLC Yahoogram, suggesting that we find a way to migrate all that information to this site. Perhaps they (as owners of the Yahoo Group) have some authorities or capabilities or access to pros at Yahoo that we, as mere users, do not. Failing that, I hope that the Yahoo groups can be retained in "read only" reference mode for some time while we come up with an "ugly, dumb, but effective" way to bring the stuff over here.

My guess is that Yahoo (Inc) will not see any particular benefit in making it easy for a community of users to flee, and that there may very well be impediments to exporting the information that hundreds of users have freely volunteered for the sake of their fellow builders over the years.

I don't have any great ideas on the "how" but if it comes down to it maybe we can get some volunteers and divide up the mass of stuff in some way and then start saving it in some agreed upon format. Ugly, ugly.

Mark
Mark Waldron
Sonex 1230 (Builder: Jay Gibbs)
Aerovee, Trigear
vigilant104

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:04 pm

Hey Mark,

People have been trying to figure out a way to do just that, thus far with no luck. There doesn't seem to be a way to copy all posts and store for an archive, even though people have considered it. At this point I believe the hope may be to try and copy some of the technical information for future use, but as you can imagine, the Yahoo! groups make this very challenging.

If anyone has an idea on how to retain this information, please feel free to share!
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Next

Return to General Discussion