Yahoo eGroups moving to SonexBuilders.net Discussion

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Re: Yahoo eGroups moving to SonexBuilders.net Discussion

Postby snx590 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:33 am

Hey Michael...I deleted a draft post about PG Offline...because the "get around that very easily" is not something everybody can readily do.
The previous version of PGO used MS-Access and I found it quite useful during my 9 year (...yes, sad, but true) build.
I am surprised Sonex decided to delete all the significant Yahoo history rather than leaving it read only....but I am sure there is a wealth of expertise here ready to answer questions and help other builders.
Terry
Sonex #590, J3300, C-FTPH
snx590

Postby seanmb » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:18 am

Found the same program. I have scraped everything out of the onexplans group, photo and files included. When you process the messages into phpBB you will need to find someway of converting the HTML in the messages to plain text or better yet BBcode. We should be able to grab all the data before the groups get deleted. We have any coder types with the spare cycles to handle the conversion and cleanup needed to make topics out of each thread.
seanmb

Postby rizzz » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:16 pm

seanmb wrote:...
We should be able to grab all the data before the groups get deleted. We have any coder types with the spare cycles to handle the conversion and cleanup needed to make topics out of each thread.

Yep, as mentioned before I have a complete copy of the AeroVee group on my drive.
My PC has been downloading posts/files/messages from the sonextalk/sonexplans groups as well for the last 2 days. Those groups are a bit bigger than the AeroVee groups but it should be finished by the time the groups disappear.
As mentioned before I will upload all the posts of the AeroVee group to the vwaircraftengines.com forum but obviously I won't upload the other two there as they are not relevant to my forum. I hope Chris and the other people behind sonexbuilders.net will upload he sonextalk and sonexplans groups to this site.
Michael
Sonex #145 from scratch (mostly)
Taildragger, 2.4L VW engine, AeroInjector, Prince 54x48 P-Tip
VH-MND, CofA issued 2nd of November 2015
First flight 7th of November 2015
Phase I Completed, 11th of February 2016
http://www.mykitlog.com/rizzz/
rizzz

Postby mwhatley » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:14 am

rizzz wrote:
seanmb wrote:...
We should be able to grab all the data before the groups get deleted. We have any coder types with the spare cycles to handle the conversion and cleanup needed to make topics out of each thread.

Yep, as mentioned before I have a complete copy of the AeroVee group on my drive.
My PC has been downloading posts/files/messages from the sonextalk/sonexplans groups as well for the last 2 days. Those groups are a bit bigger than the AeroVee groups but it should be finished by the time the groups disappear.
As mentioned before I will upload all the posts of the AeroVee group to the vwaircraftengines.com forum but obviously I won't upload the other two there as they are not relevant to my forum. I hope Chris and the other people behind sonexbuilders.net will upload he sonextalk and sonexplans groups to this site.

I would be happy to help to keep the data until we can figure out how to make it readily available to everyone. We can use my amazon cloud account to store it.
mwhatley

Postby rizzz » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:28 am

mwhatley wrote:I would be happy to help to keep the data until we can figure out how to make it readily available to everyone. We can use my amazon cloud account to store it.

Thanks.
Storing the data is not the problem though, I've Got plenty of space and am backing up as I go.
Downloading it all off the yahoo groups is the killer though, at this point in time I've got all 10,000 aerovee posts, all 20,000 sonexplans posts and 40,000 of the 80,000 sonextalk posts, with less than 24h to go. It's going to be a close one.

I'm happy to report though my script to upload the posts to phpbb works, you'll see the aerovee list archived on vwaircraftengines.com very soon.
Michael
Sonex #145 from scratch (mostly)
Taildragger, 2.4L VW engine, AeroInjector, Prince 54x48 P-Tip
VH-MND, CofA issued 2nd of November 2015
First flight 7th of November 2015
Phase I Completed, 11th of February 2016
http://www.mykitlog.com/rizzz/
rizzz

Postby n982sx » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:12 pm

Nice job,

I didn't really want to get involved in having to parse my email records of these posts.
Bob Meyers

Built and Flying Sonex N982SX http://n982sx.com
Built and Flying RV-14 N626KM http://n626km.com
n982sx

Postby floridasonex » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:37 pm

I'm happy with the change over. I dislike the new Yahoo format. I'm disappointed though that a post
was made that the sonexbuilders@yahoogroups would still be going. I tried to join and after about
a dozen tries at their secret word qualification I gave up. Guess they don't want sonex builders in it.

RT
Trigear Aerovee Sonex 1579
Flying since 4/1/13
floridasonex

Previous

Return to General Discussion