Motivation to finish.....

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Re: Motivation to finish.....

Postby rwthomas1 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:53 pm

kmacht wrote:If you decide to sell do you think you could return the clecos and pliers you said you were going to borrow for just two weeks to start building while you waited for your Wicks order to arrive? I don’t mind helping people out in the sonex community but when you drop off the face of the earth right after borrowing something I consider that essentially theft.

Keith

Hello Keith,
Are you sure you have the right guy? To be honest I don't recall that happening at all. You went to Torrington with me to look at the orange Sonex? I only met you that one day, we went to look at the kit, and that was it. I don't know why I would have borrowed anything at that point because there wasn't anything to start doing immediately. That said, if I were you I would understand how you feel entirely. Again, not saying it didn't happen, just that I have no recollection of this event at all. It would be unusual for me, as I don't think I've ever done this before.... All that said, if you are sure it was me, how do I make this right for you? I sure don't want this following me around.

RT
rwthomas1

Postby kmacht » Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:07 pm

Rob,

I tried pming you but it’s stuck in the outbox and won’t send.

I only ever recall going to see a partially built kit with one other builder. It was a quickbuild kit for an aerovee tri gear but with no motor yet. The person and I met at the parking lot for my job in East Hartford and we drove up together to see the plane. He ended up buying it a few weeks later. Soon after he asked both myself and another local sonex builder if he could borrow some tools as he was waiting on an order from Wicks that had things on back order. The other builder declined but I foolishly lent out about 50 clecos and a pair of cleco pliers as you couldn’t buy them locally. He then stopped answering emails and texts and I never heard from him again. It’s not that I couldn’t afford to lose those tools but it left a really bad taste in my mouth that someone could spend thousands on a used kit but then essentially steal tools to build it with. I’m currently out of the country and can’t easily search my old email and texts until I get back next week but when I do if it somehow turns out to not be you I’ll post a retraction and apology.

Keith
kmacht

Postby rwthomas1 » Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:11 pm

kmacht wrote:Rob,

I tried pming you but it’s stuck in the outbox and won’t send.

I only ever recall going to see a partially built kit with one other builder. It was a quickbuild kit for an aerovee tri gear but with no motor yet. The person and I met at the parking lot for my job in East Hartford and we drove up together to see the plane. He ended up buying it a few weeks later. Soon after he asked both myself and another local sonex builder if he could borrow some tools as he was waiting on an order from Wicks that had things on back order. The other builder declined but I foolishly lent out about 50 clecos and a pair of cleco pliers as you couldn’t buy them locally. He then stopped answering emails and texts and I never heard from him again. It’s not that I couldn’t afford to lose those tools but it left a really bad taste in my mouth that someone could spend thousands on a used kit but then essentially steal tools to build it with. I’m currently out of the country and can’t easily search my old email and texts until I get back next week but when I do if it somehow turns out to not be you I’ll post a retraction and apology.

Keith

Well, the situation sounds similar with some differences. I met you at a restaurant/shopping mall type of place, and we drove together to see a kit build (non-quickbuild) tri-gear Sonex with the Aerovee already installed on the fuselage. The kit had already been painted orange. Do you remember the color of the kit?
was it painted at all? After inspection, and your recommendation that I buy it, we returned to the parking lot and that was it. Do you remember the vehicle/color they were driving? I recall only meeting you in person that one time. We did have a lengthy email discussion on the Corvair and Aerovee, I have record of that. How did you deliver the cleco's and pliers to this person? I went and looked at my aircraft tools and I only have one pair of pliers and clecos I'm pretty sure came from AS. Mine are like new, I only built a flap.... Additionally, my email has been the same for around 30yrs, and my phone number the same for at least 20yrs. I also know only one Sonex builder locally that I have met, and that is you. FWIW, I have some fairly specialized tools for automotive work and I have lent them out repeatedly over the years, through forums like this, and they have always come back. I can understand why you would be upset. I just can't imagine I would forget something like this, let alone ignore emails and texts. This is making me question my own sanity a bit, but I'm pretty sure you have the wrong guy. I look forward to you sifting through old emails and texts.
rwthomas1

Postby kmacht » Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:54 pm

Well maybe we both have each other confused with someone else then. I only remember going to see one partially completed kit in the past few years. I met up with the builder and we drove to a hanger where it was being built to inspect it. It was a quick build kit with a tri gear motor mount but no engine. It wasn’t painted outside maybe the composite wing and tail tips but I don’t remember the color. The guy that took the tools came to my house and picked them up Are you sure it was I that went with you? I have no recollection of going to see any other partially built kits but have had numerous discussions with others online over Corvair’s and engine choices. Since it seems that this wasn’t you I’ll go see if I can edit my post. I apologize over the confusion and hope you do find the motivation to finish. If we ever get a chance to meet up at Oshkosh or a local fly in some year I’ll buy you a drink and we can see if we can sort out exactly what transpired back then.
kmacht

Postby rwthomas1 » Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:46 pm

kmacht wrote:Well maybe we both have each other confused with someone else then. I only remember going to see one partially completed kit in the past few years. I met up with the builder and we drove to a hanger where it was being built to inspect it. It was a quick build kit with a tri gear motor mount but no engine. It wasn’t painted outside maybe the composite wing and tail tips but I don’t remember the color. The guy that took the tools came to my house and picked them up Are you sure it was I that went with you? I have no recollection of going to see any other partially built kits but have had numerous discussions with others online over Corvair’s and engine choices. Since it seems that this wasn’t you I’ll go see if I can edit my post. I apologize over the confusion and hope you do find the motivation to finish. If we ever get a chance to meet up at Oshkosh or a local fly in some year I’ll buy you a drink and we can see if we can sort out exactly what transpired back then.

Wow, this is really crazy. I have the whole email thread, just reread it. You had me meet you up near Hartford, I parked at a Wal-Mart shopping plaza, we rode together. I would have been in a maroon chevy 1/2 ton or a blue TDI Jetta. So the kit we went to look for was in Torrington, builder was Nick Popovich. We went to look at it, fuselage was on its gear with the VW engine installed sitting in his garage. It is very orange, all of it. The rest of it was down in his basement. Old New England house with fieldstone steps down to basement. I have for sure never been to your house, although we were supposed to meet at your airport at some point. You, me and Mike Smith had several exchanges regarding me keeping or selling the Aerovee. I can forward you the email if you like. I for sure haven't been to your house, I have no idea where it is. No worries about the confusion, I'm just happy it wasn't me. I'm sure we'll meet up somewhere. The Sonex community isn't large. Take care. RT
rwthomas1

Postby rwthomas1 » Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:15 am

Hello again Gentlemen,
It appears that I'm not the only one who has suffered through lack of motivation, etc. in trying to finish a build. Nice to see that many of you made it through and are flying your creation. I'm starting with cleaning my shop, a bit of progress just yesterday, and knocking out the small projects that are on the bench. Already moving some of the stuff around the fuselage. Its a start. Thanks again, RT
rwthomas1

Postby BobDz » Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:19 pm

I cleaned yesterday. My build is only slightly stagnated, mostly due to a nasty head cold. Which highlights one of many, many reasons progress flatlines.
Bob Dz...
Sonex B, Tri-gear
(technically within walking distance of Sonex)
N624DZ (reserved)

Plans exist to eliminate confusion, not create it.
BobDz

Postby daleandee » Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:37 pm

rwthomas1 wrote:Hello again Gentlemen,
It appears that I'm not the only one who has suffered through lack of motivation, etc. in trying to finish a build. Nice to see that many of you made it through and are flying your creation. I'm starting with cleaning my shop, a bit of progress just yesterday, and knocking out the small projects that are on the bench. Already moving some of the stuff around the fuselage. Its a start. Thanks again, RT

You are more than welcome and even encouraged to send me some build photos and update information. I believe you have my email address & phone number. I'd love to see your progress!

Great to see you back at it ...

Dale
3.0 Corvair/Tailwheel
daleandee

Previous

Return to General Discussion