Losing the training wheel.

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Re: Losing the training wheel.

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:53 pm

Sounds like you're almost ready! Other than the cowling, what do you have left to accomplish? If you've got the engine probes and leads re-attached, hopefully the baffling will go on quickly and the cowling will be the last project. Are you using the same cowling?

Best of luck on the tailwheel endorsement. You'll love it! Keep us up on the progress.
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby fastj22 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:29 pm

Will reuse the same baffles. I'll try the same cowl, but unknown if it will line up. I hope I don't need major surgery on it, or a replacement.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby fastj22 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:36 am

I'm also using this downtime to do my annual inspection. While I had the engine off, I re-torqued the flywheel bolts. Much easier with the engine off.
I loaned Jeff Schultz my Prince prop and he is doing a good comparison of the Prince vs. his Sensonich. He wanted to take advantage of the Prince sale but wanted to know if the P-Tip would work for him. He's a meticulous test pilot and we should have some good comparison results. He should be done this weekend and I can reinstall it and do my leak down tests and adjust the valves. Re-torque the heads. I had already done the through bolt nut replacement.

I'm calling the FSDO today to notify them of the change and put the plane back in Phase 1 per their instructions. Hope its only 5 hours.

John Gillis
fastj22

Postby fastj22 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:23 pm

Tailwheel instruction today. In a Decathlon. Two years ago I started my TW training in a Citabria. Found the Decathlon very similar. Got familiar with the plane. Slow flight, stalls, basically getting acquainted with the plane, then 5 touch and goes. Nailed the first three 3 points. The wheel landings where humbling.

John Gillis
fastj22

Postby daleandee » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:01 pm

fastj22 wrote:The wheel landings where humbling.

Glad to know it ain't just me. I got my T/W endorsement a little over two years ago with this guy:

http://www.blueridgesportflight.com/

Greg is an excellent instructor and teaches in a very nice Aeronca Champ. I find the Sonex to be a well behaved tail dragger but it still requires you to stay awake until you have it secured in the chocks.

I'm certain you are having a blast with this!

Dale
N319WF
daleandee

Postby Bryan Cotton » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:34 am

In my primary training, my instructor focused on wheel landings. I got really good at them. I could barely 3 point to save my life. After flying 15 years we moved to NY and I started towing gliders at Harris Hill. There is only 1100' of pavement and it slopes downhill when landing north. My very first approach in the super cub with the CFI I had to go around. That was embarrassing. That was when I finally learned 3 point. Now I can barely wheel land. It takes practice. The key thing is to know where the wheels are, and where the ground is. Also, use the Force. Put the targeting computer away.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby daleandee » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:27 am

daleandee

Postby fastj22 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:02 pm

Had another lesson today. Getting the hang of those pesky wheel landings. Of the 15 we did today, I only bounced 5 badly but they really taught me how to recover from one. By the last 4, I was able to run down the entire runway on the mains from touch down. Instructor said the Sonex will be easier since it has a flat bottomed wing and not the symmetrical like the Decathalon.

John Gillis
fastj22

Postby tonyr » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:20 pm

"Instructor said the Sonex will be easier since it has a flat bottomed wing and not the symmetrical like the Decathalon."

Ummm.. flat bottomed wing? er no, its semi-symmetrical.
Sonex #813
First Flight... 4 Oct 14
298 hours having fun!
http://sonexaus.wikispaces.com/Tony+%28Richo%29+Richardson+Sonex+813
tonyr

Postby Bryan Cotton » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:34 pm

It is not terribly important to always do nice landings. It is vitally important to always do good recoveries. I was getting a BC12D checkout one time from a crazy Englishman in Florida. I was doing nice landings. On the last landing he was chattering, waving his arms around, and pulled out/unfolded a sectional on short final. I blew that landing and had to recover. He folded the sectional back up and said I was good to go.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion