Yes, you can build a Sonex! (re-titled)

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Yes, you can build a Sonex! (re-titled)

Postby mike.smith » Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:40 pm

I re-titled the post from "Solid vs Pulled Rivets, plus a little more..."

Hi, everyone!

After scratch building my Sonex for 5 years, and flying it now for 8 years and 500+ hours, I've gotten permission (even prodding) from my wife to build an RV-7 (faster, roomier, more payload; all the things my wife wants). Tail kit should arrive in May. I hope to build it in 4 years, but will still be flying the Sonex all that time.

I've helped a couple of other RV-7 builders with their riveting, and have been doing my own practice work. For the benefit of anyone who is wondering if they can build a Sonex, I'll make these observations...

- Pulled rivets are WAY easier to work with.
- Easier to set.
- Easier to drill out (by far).
- Only requires one person.
- Easier to get two pieces to fit tightly together (with a hand squeezer you can make an initial partial pull to get the materials together, then you can do a second squeeze to finish the job).
- FAR fewer special tools needed.
- Much less skill/art required in pulling rivets.

- The Sonex plans are second to none. Some will complain about the lack of a "manual," but having now worked with both the Vans and the Sonex plans, the Sonex plans are superior in their detail and descriptions. Don't let the lack of a "manual" fool you. The plans, and the notes on them, do the job quite well.

- There is no information in a Vans set of plans (why would there be?) to build your own parts if you need to make a repair part later in the airplane's life. The Sonex plans have dimensions and fabrication information about the parts. Of course you can order new parts, but it's nice to be able to have the option to make your own for at least some of the simple things.

- The size of the drill bits Sonex has you use to drill and updrill holes (3/32" and 1/8" for instance) that are dimpled/countersunk ensures the clecos stay in place. The way Vans recommends you drill to full size with #30 and #40 bits, and then dimple, ensures the holes get enlarged, and my clecos are constantly falling out. Grrrrrr!!

- If my first build was a solid-rivet aircraft, I'm not sure I'd have gotten through the learning curve.

I would not trade my Sonex experience for anything! I loved scratch building it. I loved making my own modifications. And I have loved flying it. If you've been on my YouTube page you've seen all of that :-) And of course I have loved the Sonex community. Vans has a great community, but I have found the Sonex community to be tighter, more personal, less controversial and more down to earth.

So if you are wondering if a Sonex the the right first-build for you, take the above comments into your decision. And YES, you can build a Sonex!
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Return to General Discussion