Australian builders

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Australian builders

Postby rodrocket » Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:45 am

Sonex kindly provided me with a quote from C&H Freight for shipping and handling a full kit (not quick build) to Newcastle, Australia. I'm unfamiliar with the various shipping companies and would appreciate any feedback from any of my countrymen on their experiences and recommendations. The quote was approximately AUS$5.7k.

Thanks in advance
rodrocket

Re: Australian builders

Postby Scott Todd » Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:46 am

You should talk to Sonex about packing two or more together and see what the price would be. I bet paying Sonex a few extra hundred dollars could almost package two in the same space as one. Wingtips, cowls, and canopies could nest. The rest is mostly flat stock that wouldn't add much volume. Maybe you could find a friend to buy one and split the shipping. You should also consider shipping an engine/engines and extra canopies with it.
Scott Todd

Postby GraemeSmith » Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:15 am

Thats US$4,100 today. Given current costs of containers Trans Pac - that seems like a deal if it gets it to your front door.

And Scott's comments apply - though given the size of Australia - if your fellow builder is on the other coast - you would probably spend that again!

RodRocket try PM'ing fellow Aussie builder Peter Anson (he also appears in the FB group) and see what he thinks / paid.
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby Area 51% » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:04 pm

Scott Todd wrote: You should also consider shipping an engine/engines and extra canopies with it.

Sonex automatically ships two canopies on non-domestic orders. Something about cracks outnumbering holes in acrylic. Knowing what I know about Lexan, they should also send an extra windscreen.
Area 51%

Postby sonex1566 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:01 am

Hi Rod, I believe that's around what others have paid. If it makes you feel better, I spent about double that over the course of 6 years of scratch building. If I was richer and better organised I could have saved heaps but I made an artform out of forgetting stuff. Enjoy your build.
Richard
Scratch build Sonex
Std gear, dual control
Jabiru 3300, Sensenich prop
19-8776
1st Flight 25th June 2019. 170 hrs so far.....
http://www.sonex1566.com
sonex1566

Postby peterp » Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:46 am

Hi Rod,
Postage and freight from the states has absolutely sky rocketed the last couple of years. Although it sounds a lot it's pretty good when you compare I have just paid nearly fourteen hundred for one undercarriage spring gear from Grove Aircraft, west coast and close to departure port. Suggest you try to order everything you can think off now and put it all together.
Cheers Peter
peterp

Return to General Discussion