Please comment on 2 planes that I am considering to buy

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Please comment on 2 planes that I am considering to buy

Postby tom.corso » Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:29 pm

This is Tom Corso and I am still in pursuit of a Sonex to purchase.
For practical reasons I want to find a completed or VERY NEARLY completed Sonex with a price tag around 20,000.

There are two planes on Barnstormers currently that I am discussing with the sellers. Both are asking 22,000 +/-.

One is a Sonex A model taildragger with a Jabiru 2200 engine, and a nice inventory of radio & avionics equipment. It has a transponder but does not have ADSB out and I will want to add that. It has nav lights and a landing light. The plane's A/W Certificate was granted in 2002 and it has 300 hours on airframe and engine. The seller does not know the serial # of the engine. I don't know much about Jabiru engines, but I seem to remember reading about lifter and perhaps cooling issues with some early engines. This plane is approximately 750 miles from me.

The other is a Sonex Sport Trainer with tricycle gear. A/W certificate in 2008. Engine is an Aerovee 2180 with 250 hours on engine* and airframe, BUT the engine was rebuilt with a new crankshaft at around 160 hours. Evidently the prop hub came off the engine and destroyed the prop. The owner replaced the crank with a new crank and a Great Plains force one prop hub. The Aerovee has the oil cooler under the engine. This plane has analog steam gauges with two cylinder CHTs and 1 EGT sensor, oil temp and oil pressure, volt and ammeter. It has a site gauge fuel level tube and while this is neither sophisticated or pretty it is certainly reliable and easy to read. I realize that allowing that tube to deteriorate could result in a cockpit full of fuel. This plane has no nav or landing lights. This plane is about 150 miles from me.

Both planes have Aeroinjector carbs. Do I understand correctly that this carb does not really allow engine mixture leaning? Is leaning either of these engines important? Both planes have varnished wood props. I know that metal props are a no no for VWs and probably the Jabiru too. Are there many of either of these engines flying with ground adjustable carbon fiber props like Warp Drive, etc.? Both planes have the mechanical cable brakes operated by a handle. I'm a private pilot with 500 hours in my log book and about 100 hours of tailwheel time and I don't have a strong preference for one or the other.

I haven't seen either plane in person, but have gotten a good collection of pictures including interior and exterior and good views of the panels. Hopefully the sellers aren't using dating site practice where you put pictures of your younger and more attractive cousin online.

I am not trying to start a fight between the tailwheel and nosewheel true believers or Jabiru vs Aerovee. I am interested in helpful thoughts and I am curious about the wood vs composite propellers. It seems to me that ground adjustable carbon fiber props give the ability to fine tune the pitch to the engine and are quite durable. My experience with these is with Rotax 2 cycle engines.

Thanks for your attention and helpful comments.

Tom
tom.corso

Re: Please comment on 2 planes that I am considering to buy

Postby XenosN42 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:58 pm

tom.corso wrote:This is Tom Corso and I am still in pursuit of a Sonex to purchase.
Both planes have Aeroinjector carbs. Do I understand correctly that this carb does not really allow engine mixture leaning?

Tom

I have an AeroInjector on my AeroVee engine and I lean the mixture during taxi and cruise. I'm only at full rich for takeoff and climb.
-- Michael
OneX N169XE
author of the 'Flight Data Viewer'
XenosN42

Postby Bryan Cotton » Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:59 pm

tom.corso wrote:Both planes have Aeroinjector carbs. Do I understand correctly that this carb does not really allow engine mixture leaning? Is leaning either of these engines important?

Tom,
The Aeroinjector has a mixture control arm. It is important for the Aeroinjector.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:03 pm

There’s no right or wrong answer Tom. Which do you like more? Both have the potential to be good airplanes, so you probably want to let your heart decide!

You’ll have tons of small pro’s and con’s for each option, so go with the one that speaks to you!
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby kmacht » Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:37 pm

Regarding the sight gage, most who install them solder the end of the fitting that ties the end of the tube to the tank and then drill a very small hole in the solder. This makes it so if the tube breaks only a little amount of fuel comes out at a time. The sight gage is pretty common on Site nex and other aircraft.
kmacht

Return to General Discussion