What's the worst that could happen?

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

What's the worst that could happen?

Postby Area 51% » Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:36 pm

Fellow "Forked-Tailed" Sonex drivers (and those with a passing interest).

On several occasions I've had the opportunity to wiggle the top of the rudderlet on the Sonex factory Xenos based here in Crystal River, FL. It moves a LOT, pushing the skin outboard with little resistance. It would appear to be textbook Sonex service bulletin #003 with the cracked tail post channel, but I cannot convince the current owner to have it investigated. Despite what it says on the Sonex website about the ease of inspection, it's very difficult to get a good look at that area without a bright light and possibly tools. I'm not about to risk a felony by taking an unauthorized look.

If I'm right, the channel has already let go, so there is rudder input stress on the skin (it seems to be taking it quite well). Having built a Waiex, I'm familiar with the Y structure and it's contact points at the longerons through the attaching angles, but how big of a part does the tail-post channel play in the structural role? What's the worst that could happen if this thing goes unchecked?

I've brought this issue up enough times with the owner that he doesn't stop by to chat anymore. He's forbidden me to shake the rudder of his airplane again, and I can't say I really blame him. What's the worst that could happen?
Area 51%

Re: What's the worst that could happen?

Postby fastj22 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:49 pm

Area 51% wrote: What's the worst that could happen?

Human sacrifice! Dogs and cats living together! Mass hysteria!

or

I’ve spoken my piece and I’ve counted to three.

Both great movie quotes.
I choose the later.
Same way I deal with my anti-vaxer family and friends.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Return to General Discussion