Main gear and aeroinjector ?

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Main gear and aeroinjector ?

Postby tx_swordguy » Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:38 pm

I am going to be moving from an asphalt airport to a grass strip in about 1 1/2 yrs . I have already had to fix some cracks in my wheel pants and expect to have to do some reinforcement once using grass full time. I am wondering if i should do the gear stiffening that Jeff and others have mentioned here. Would that be necessary or beneficial on the grass?
Also on another topic. I have an eaa biplane with on older o320 and a marvel carb. I am wondering if i could use an aero injector on that? The o320 is 150 hp and i know the aeroinjector was at one time made in the 150 hp range but i do not think it is supported any more. I am guessing it had a larger opening for more air. Would a #4 needle work on an aeroinjector in that environment? I am wanting to go mo gas but in its current state the o320 doesnt like it. I believe it is getting too hot going through fuel pump etc it causes burps and stumbles. The builder wired the mixture all rich all the time. With av gas it works ok but there is a lot of lead build up. My sonex has a 120 hp jab that works great on the aeroinjector and the o320 is only 30 hp more
Mark Whiddon
T25 Aero Estates
Sonex N889AP
jabiru 3300 solid lifter
tx_swordguy

Re: Main gear and aeroinjector ?

Postby sonex892. » Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:58 am

I had my Sonex based at a grass strip years ago and found the wheel pants were excellent grass catchers. When I found them full of grass I removed them till I relocated to an ashphelt runway. At the very least installing a bulkhead would solve most of the grass issue. Also had issues with the pants cracking regularly, I reckon caused from overstressing them to fit over 500 : 5 tires. I replaced the pants with vans style pants 5 years ago and they are holding up well. Oh, the 500:5 tires on a Sonex are a must for regular grass runway use.
Steve
Sonex 892
Steve
Lazair kit 1981 sold
Sonerai 2LS plansbuilt 2003 sold
Sonex kit 2010
Sonerai 2LS project rotax 912
sonex892.

Return to General Discussion